www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 pm 
Minnow

Hello all....

New owner here and very exited! I am sure I will have tons of questions but for now I have two.

1. For those of you who trailer, what GVRW trailer do you have? I will just be trailering 300 feet to the marina ramp and occasionally to the mechanic for bigger jobs.

2. Does anyone know the shifter cable lengths for a 2004 288? I need to change the cables for both drives.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:51 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi JPR I have a 2005 V288 that I keep on a trailer at my house I was lucky to find a used aluminum trailer with adjustable bunks for my boat the gvw is 18000 lbs witch is overkill for the load but better to much than not enough I changed one of my shift cables I don't remember the length but the part #/length is stenciled on the cable jacket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:41 pm 
Minnow

signalstan wrote:
Hi JPR I have a 2005 V288 that I keep on a trailer at my house I was lucky to find a used aluminum trailer with adjustable bunks for my boat the gvw is 18000 lbs witch is overkill for the load but better to much than not enough I changed one of my shift cables I don't remember the length but the part #/length is stenciled on the cable jacket

Thank you... I found a trailer which I will hopefully be getting tomorrow with a 15,600 GVWR. Also think that it might be overkill but currently there is no surplus of trailers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 am 
Minnow

Found a trailer and I believe I found the sizes for the shifter cables 18' and 22' per Four Winns parts catalog.

I now have the boat at the marina and have started tackling all the repairs and projects I have on the list PLUS found more stuff....

Most concerning issue right now:

1. Realized the aft cabin bilge pump is not powered hot all the time... Looks like at some point the pump was replaced and it was replaced with a Rule auto pump that checks every 2.5 minutes but ONLY is the Forward Bilge rocker switch is ON. It should have been wired so that it always has power and ONLY if I activate the rocker switch it goes into manual override. Currently the manual override lead is disconnected. Anyone have a pic of how yours is wired? I don't like this setup as my boat sit on a trailer and I am uncomfortable leaving the "Ship Systems" breaker on ONLY so I can leave the forward bilge on.

2. I worked on cleaning the aft cabin bilge area (as it was extremely dirty) and left it bone dry on Saturday. Returned to the boat yesterday (Sunday) and when I checked, it was half way filled with water. Where is all this water coming in from? We've been having torrential down pours here in Miami. I looked at the hatches and they look dry, touched the headliners and they are dry as well. I read somewhere that the anchor locker can leak given the floor is below the actual drains... I do question though... how can water get in there in the first place? The top windlass cover should prevent water even getting to the windlass and access port.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:21 pm 
Sting Ray

I think my bilge pumps are powered from a small "button" type circuit breaker next to the battery selector switch. they are hot if the main is on or off. also I found a leak my carpet on the floor in the cabin below the radio and elect. panel was getting wet when I washed the boat it was leaking at the screws holding the lowwer part of the windshield I removed the rubber trim chalked all the screws and put the rubber back good luck finding your leak its not easy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:56 am 
email admin your custom rank

The anchor locker leak is common for Four Winns of that era. The rain runs down the bow and weeps into the locker even with the lid closed. The drains are not on the very bottom so if there is any hole it leaks into the forward compartment.

When we had the 258 it was a mess of mold on the carpet in the forward seating compartments and it was already "fixed" by the previous owner. You have to build up the bottom of the anchor locker to reach the drains with something like pvc board and then seal it in. There is usually an access hatch inside the cabin. There's probably a mirror hiding it. It just slides up and comes off.

A trick I learned from our current boat. The previous owner put plastic strainers on the bottom of the locker so the anchor rode sits on top and all the water drains out easier. They are like baskets you get at a fast food place.