www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2007 358 Forward bilge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pm 
Minnow

Boat is out of water for winter. Getting shrink wrapped today.

Was there this morning to shop vac whatever water was left lurking in the bilge areas (FWD and REAR) as boat isn't angled enough to my liking to empty out of the drain plug at rear.

In the forward bilge area (under aft cabin, I had replaced the bilge pump during the summer while the boat was in the water. Had to fit a new pump and float. Not all screws fit in the older screw holes.

Today, While I was using the shop vac in that FWD bilge compartment, I noticed one of the screw holes (without a screw in it) near the float was pushing (gushing slowly) out water, not fast, but enough for me to see water coming from there. I plugged the shop vac on the hole for 10-15 minutes or until water wasn't gushing out anymore and I wasn't sucking any more water out of there. I must've pulled out a few gallons...

Now I'm worried, because winter is coming (and Jon Snow isn't at the North Wall) and I fear there is still water trapped in there. But I don't know "where" that water is or how to get it out. I poured a gallon of antifreeze in the forward bilge hoping it will alleviate freezing problems if there is still water in there.

Is there a compartment underneath the forward bilge where the pump is? Why is there water coming out of the screw hole? Are the FWD and REAR bilge areas connected somehow as water should flow between the two in order to empty if one pump fails?

I want to plug the extra screw holes with the appropriate marine silicone (which I have), but I wouldn't want to do it while there is still water in there as I would trap it, and that would be worse.

insight please?

I'm a little confused by this quantity and location of water.

Last edited by JFB on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

JFB wrote:
Boat is out of water for winter. Getting shrink wrapped today.

Was there this morning to shop vac whatever water was left lurking in the bilge areas (FWD and REAR) as boat isn't angled enough to my liking to empty out of the drain plug at rear.

In the forward bilge area (under forward sitee or bed, I had replaced the bilge pump during the summer while the boat was in the water. Had to fit a new pump and float. Not all screws fit in the older screw holes.

Today, While I was using the shop vac in that FWD bilge compartment, I noticed one of the screw holes (without a screw in it) near the float was pushing (gushing slowly) out water, not fast, but enough for me to see water coming from there. I plugged the shop vac on the hole for 10-15 minutes or until water wasn't gushing out anymore and I wasn't sucking any more water out of there. I must've pulled out a few gallons...

Now I'm worried, because winter is coming (and Jon Snow isn't at the North Wall) and I fear there is still water trapped in there. But I don't know "where" that water is or how to get it out. I poured a gallon of antifreeze in the forward bilge hoping it will alleviate freezing problems if there is still water in there.

Is there a compartment underneath the forward bilge where the pump is? Why is there water coming out of the screw hole? Are the FWD and REAR bilge areas connected somehow as water should flow between the two in order to empty if one pump fails?

I want to plug the extra screw holes with the appropriate marine silicone (which I have), but I wouldn't want to do it while there is still water in there as I would trap it, and that would be worse.

insight please?

I'm a little confused by this quantity and location of water.

Gotta love this time of year! My 358 is getting hauled on Thursday, but she will be indoor cold storage - no shrink wrap for me!

I'm assuming your referring to the forward bilge pump, which is under the aft cabin - not the forward berth (only should have the water tank and fresh water pump up there). The way the 318/338/358 is constructed (I had a 318 for 5 years and experienced the same phenomenon you did), is there is the "outer hull" and the "inner liner". When water gets between the two - it's literally trapped in there. It can make it in there by the drain plug (look close, there is a gap around it on the engine room side) or near the waste tank (if the sealant around those PVC pipes the waste hoses go through fails). Water gets in between the two hulls and is trapped, unless you shop vac it out or it drains out the back.

I resealed that bilge pump last year when I bought my 358 and no water came bubbling up. Over the past few months, I've been fighting with an air locking shower sump, causing water to overflow and get down in there. The shop vac on for 10-15 minutes did a great job removing any water that made its way down there.

Once I'm set on stands in the barn, I spend a few hours wiping everything down, shop vac'ing up any residual water and leaving bounce sheets in the cabin. Then it's time to start the winter projects before it gets too cold and I have to wait until spring!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:03 pm 
Minnow

Thank you so much for your response.

You are correct in assuming I meant the aft cabin (I have corrected my post).

I suspected an inner and outer shell. How much water can get in there? I hope I got most of it out, probably 3-4 gallons, because the shrink wrap is already done!. But I only had the screw hole to shop vac out of. Are you saying there is another access area in the engine room? A drain plug? Where exactly? Maybe you meant if the drain plug at the back isn't sealed properly...

Where did you use your shop vac to remove the water that was trapped? Is there a better access somewhere where I could use my shop vac? If the boat is angled up slightly, and the drain plug is removed, will the trapped water drain out the drain plug?

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm 

JFB wrote:
Thank you so much for your response.

You are correct in assuming I meant the aft cabin (I have corrected my post).

I suspected an inner and outer shell. How much water can get in there? I hope I got most of it out, probably 3-4 gallons, because the shrink wrap is already done!. But I only had the screw hole to shop vac out of. Are you saying there is another access area in the engine room? A drain plug? Where exactly? Maybe you meant if the drain plug at the back isn't sealed properly...

Where did you use your shop vac to remove the water that was trapped? Is there a better access somewhere where I could use my shop vac? If the boat is angled up slightly, and the drain plug is removed, will the trapped water drain out the drain plug?

thanks!

Not sure on the quantity...I'd say that's the most I got out of the 318. No real better access that I'm aware of, it's sealed by design. Next time your in the engine room - look at the drain plug. On my 318, you could see the inner and outer hull weren't sealed completely there (very hard to see it on my v-drive 358).

With the boat angled up, it should all drain out. With you getting that much out, I wouldn't loose sleep on it. If the water freezes, it's not like its stuck inside the engine block, causing it to crack. There will be some room for it to expand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:47 am 

Maybe ask the marina to block the boat a little bow higher than normal to make sure it drains. I notice sometimes our marina blocks the boat almost level and sometimes they block the boat so bow high its like walking up a hill.

Then maybe dump a little AF to see if it will seep out aft and you can seal it up with 4200 after it dries over winter? The pink AF should be easy to spot.

When I winterize my AC's I end up getting AF all over the forward bilge and I just leave it there over the winter and clean it up in the spring. It doesn't usually mold as bad as water that I have noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:13 am 
Minnow

babbot1 wrote:
Maybe ask the marina to block the boat a little bow higher than normal to make sure it drains. I notice sometimes our marina blocks the boat almost level and sometimes they block the boat so bow high its like walking up a hill.

Then maybe dump a little AF to see if it will seep out aft and you can seal it up with 4200 after it dries over winter? The pink AF should be easy to spot.

When I winterize my AC's I end up getting AF all over the forward bilge and I just leave it there over the winter and clean it up in the spring. It doesn't usually mold as bad as water that I have noticed.

I got the front of the boat lifted. I dumped AF in the forward bilge and the rear bilge. Now the boat is shrink wrapped. Let's hope it'll be fine in the spring... Finger's crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:24 am 

JFB wrote:
babbot1 wrote:

I got the front of the boat lifted. I dumped AF in the forward bilge and the rear bilge. Now the boat is shrink wrapped. Let's hope it'll be fine in the spring... Finger's crossed.

You should be fine. Engine blocks crack when not winterized because there is no where for the water to expand too. Any water in the bilge can easily expand up or to the sides. That being said, I shop vac any residual water out of my bilge (what doesn't drain out after they've drained my water heater), moreso to prevent build up / mold than freezing damage.