www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 pm 
Guppy

This season ended on a sour note. My 99 has twin 5.0s with 3 Batteries new at the beginning of 2019 and overall she is in good condition 500hrs. At the end of this season the blower and other components wouldn't work with the battery selector on Ship Systems. I then had to put the selector in Parallel for things to work. The Charger began smoking today when draining the fresh water to winterize the boat. Selector was in Parallel at the time. Batteries are fully charged and wired properly as nothing has changed over the past 2 seasons. Anyone encounter this before? I was looking at ProNautic for the replacement charger but I am concerned this one my fry if the issue is somehow connected to the Battery Selector. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Pronautic makes a great charger. I installed one and it was fairly straight forward. I did not want to use the wiring from the old charger because it was undersized and it went a long way around to get to the battery. I believe this is what created issues for me. I wired directly to the batteries to eliminate any voltage loss for the charger to evaluate charge of the batteries correctly.

Check your batteries. Maybe you lost a cell and so the charger had to compensate and it just overtaxed.
Or, it just may have been it's time to go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm 
Guppy

babbot1 - Thank you

WM has one in stock for the 3 battery config. I will install this week and let you know how I make out.

I appreciate the insight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:15 am 
Shark

On my 2006 when I installed a 2nd house battery it killed the original charger (I guess from just working too hard).
I installed a new ProMariner 44021. It is a 3 bank 20 amp charger and designed to analyze and dump the full 20 amps into a single battery if needed. Comes with a 3 year warranty.
I purchased from Wholesale Marine for $228 including shipping.
It does come with a standard A/C plug on the end but the charger is waterproof. I attached a waterproof plug to the existing wires coming from the A/C power panel and plugged it in. Cutting the plug off on the charger and wiring direct - I was afraid would void the warranty.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

The 12xxP series is permanent mount. I am not familiar with the 44021 but the 1220P, if I recall from reading the manual years ago, was designed to power your cruisers house equipment as well as maintain the batteries. Has readouts of voltage and charging amperage as well as options for many battery chemistries.

There are other fine chargers out there like Charles chargers but they run a little more $$. I have a 18 year old Charles charger on my current boat still going strong maintaining 6 batteries.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:30 pm 
Guppy

Picked up the ProNautic 1230P from WM and heading to the boat on Friday. I will keep you updated once installed. Tried to add a video clip for you viewing pleasure but couldn't figure it out. Couldn't believe how quickly it smoked when turning the battery selector to Port On and I hadn't started the engine. Did the same when I put the Starboard selector to On. Fingers crossed that the original charger was at end of life and there's not a bigger issue.