www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Distributors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm 
Clownfish

I can buy a Volvo Penta Distributor for $996 or an aftermarket for $96. I know you get what you pay for but this is so tempting. Does anyone have any experience's with buying a cheap distributor? I am curious to know how it went!

2006 Four WInns 278 Vista
2012 F 150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2014 Suzuki King Quad 750

In a wheelchair but living life to the fullest. (Wife is still scared)

Post subject: Re: Distributors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

As I’ve said before in other threads V/P does not make many of the components used, only specialized parts like for the drive, transom mount, certain cooling system parts etc. Engines are GM with ignitions usually being a Delco EST or Voyager system.
Why do you think you have to replace yours? Usually with these you can replace the module but sometimes what both Volvo and Merc do is make these parts NLA. So you wind up having to replace the whole thing when its not more than a hundred bucks of electronics that's bad.
This is why I stuck with a simple breaker points distributor, these can be maintained with a cap, rotor and points set you replace every few years. Auto shop 101.

I did some checking and it appears that you have the 'crab cap' model, you have to look around because that's different than the Delco EST/Voyager style distributors that used a standard cap. I'm not sure that the Delco EST style distributor can be substituted for the 'crab cap' models. On these units there is a module and a sensor that can be replaced separately, they are both in the range of about $300, you should do some diagnostics to see which part is bad, so there may be no need to replace the whole thing.

take a look at this:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Ignition ... _id.783800
not sure if this is your exact model but it is in the year range of yours. best way to look up VP parts is your engine model # which will be like a 5.7GIxxxxx.....G stands for General Motors engine, I is fuel injection I think.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm 
Clownfish

Thanks for your answer. I was able to buy the correct Dis. from Amazon. The side of the original is cracked according to my mech. I like to do my own work but I am handicapped and can't climb into the engine bay. I only paid 96 bucks for the new Dis as opposed to 996 for the VP model and it looks exactly as the one VP sells. Once he gets it out we can compare side by side but a buddy that drag races said he buys the cheap parts and takes of any metal cog or gears from the old parts to change out the plastic parts on some new stuff. He also said it is probably the same and the box label is the only difference. So I will see if I can take what I need to fix the original Dis or use the new one and see what happens. My drag race buddy said just make sure everything is tight as the Chinese don't do assembly to good. I am in the Gulf of Mexico and not to worried about failure being a calamity so I am rolling the dice on the 900% CHEAPER Dis.

2006 Four WInns 278 Vista
2012 F 150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2014 Suzuki King Quad 750

In a wheelchair but living life to the fullest. (Wife is still scared)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Is this the style of distributor with the plastic body? I've heard of these breaking and I'm astounded at some of the bad decisions manufacturers have made in recent years to save money! If so its possible that your mechanic can transfer the rest of your parts to the distributor body.

I still have the old style Prestolite breaker points distributor with mechanical spark advance on my old 4.3 V6 which is all metal and can be easily maintained with just a set of points, condenser, rotor and cap every few years. I also picked up a nice spare one on Ebay for a good price. I prefer the old tech, it usually can be easily repaired and put back in service.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0loz9jkmggqg ... e.jpg?dl=0
1960's tech, auto shop 101 lol.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II