www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:03 pm 
Tadpole

First off, thanks for the add Scott. Appreciate it!

We have now owned our "new to us" 2006 FW Vista 348, 6.2 mercs. Questions I have come across so far that I thought I'd toss out to the group:

1 - We typically run on plane around 31 MPH @ 4k RPM with our duoprops leaving the front canvas and front side canvas in to reduce wind noise. With this boat, there is a NOTICABLE mist that comes in the back, to the point where people can't sit back there without getting soaked by the time the ride is over. Never had this issue with my old Doral 270 and ran it the same way... is this just a hull design flaw?

2 - Per question #1 above, under the back seat is storage which ends up with a bunch of standing water in it due to the spray that comes is and yet there is no drain for this storage. Has anyone drilled a hole in this area that would drain into engine compartment and be bilged out?

3 - The electric hatch that opens to the engine compartment has no smaller safety hatch to open to quickly look down unlike most other manufacturers. Question is, what do you do if there is a battery problem while out on the lake or how do you open this if the cylinder itself breaks... There is no way to release it without first opening the hatch.. Kinda tough to open a hatch that wont open if its broken....?

If you have a similar model, feel free to provide any tips or tricks you have learnt about yours as we are still new with this boat.

Happy boating all from Long Point Bay, Lake Erie Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I can't help much other than mentioning the concept that owner's manuals for many of these boats include warnings that carbon monoxide from engine exhaust can enter the cockpit area with the front enclosures in place and the rear open. I assume the same is true for the mist created by the boat wake. I have noticed that our 268 will have some water accumulate on the rear canvas at cruise speeds. It might help to have the center isinglass above the windshield open to provide some air movement. I know, its not always ideal, but I believe it a somewhat common issue. I believe you could do a search for how to access the engine compartment if batteries are dead. hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:35 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the quick response. I agree that having the front canvas in does add to the problem and as you mentioned could create other problems. The only thing that strikes me as odd is we have been boating like this for 10 years with our previous boat (Doral 270) and didnt have that issue.

As for opening the hatch with dead batteries I did search this forum but did not find any relevant info. Manually opening a hatch on a 348 is next to impossible unless you have about 5 guys helping you. It astonishes me that Four Winns Engineers did not include some sort of secondary access into the engine compartment.