www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Our 2001 328 Four Winns Vista (5.7 Volvo Penta duoprop drives) developed some engine issues, first major engine issue in our 12 years of ownership. A compression test yielded results that suggested a head gasket problem on both engines. Removing the heads on both port and starboard engine confirmed head gaskets did blow between two adjacent cylinders on each engine. This result I was anticipating, but on the starboard engine head where the head gasket failed you could see the actual head steel surface had eroded away so that there is now a recessed groove from one cylinder into the next. In checking the starboard engine block in the same area that the gasket failed you could also see this same recessed eroded groove condition had also effected the starboard engine block. So the starboard engine needs to be pulled and the engine block replaced. That sucks.

It seems to remove this engine that there is a portion of the 328's transom bench seat and front facing transom assembly that needs to be removed in order to lift the engine out. Has anyone done this that could offer some tips here or be willing to share your experience over the phone? I'm hoping with this transom assembly removed, that the starboard engine can be lifted out without the need to remove the generator?

Thanks,
Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:25 pm 

sent you a pm.... sorry a little late on this one

Mike

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:16 am 

Thanks "acguy", Mike for your PM. I will give you a phone call at the number you gave.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 pm 
Minnow

Hi Decision,

I am just now seeing your post about having to pull your starboard engine. I assume the project is probably done by now... just curious how it went. I have a 2007 318 and had to pull the starboard engine this past May to replace the inner transom shield. I haven't really looked at the set up on the 328 but on 318 the rear seat assembly on starboard side had to come out giving access to remove the engine...came straight out without any maneuvering.

Hope you got repairs completed and got some time on the water this past summer.

Tom.

5.7 GI/DP-A 280hp x 2

Previous:
2012 Crownline 260 CR 350 Mag/Bravo III 300hp
1998 FourWinns 245 Sundowner 5.7 GSI/SX 280hp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:45 pm 

Thanks for your reply Tom. My wife and I did remove our aft transom bench seat and part of the aft deck flooring that can be removed above engines. Probably took us a good 3 hours as there was many nuts, washers and bolts to be removed from places we had to search for to figure out how to remove the various sections.

We did have both our port and starboard engine removed and are currently trying to decide to replace both engines with either a remanufactured long block or a new Quicksilver long block. Our boat is in indoor storage and I'd like to have the replacement engines ordered in the coming weeks so both engines can get dressed, test run and be ready to be installed back into our before our normal spring launch.

Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:38 am 

I had leaky head gaskets on my old 4.3 V6 but the way they failed caused water to leak into a cyl, but luckily for me did not allow exhaust gas to scorch the block deck surface. So I was able to do a top end overhaul with the engine in the boat, after meticulously cleaning up the block deck sealing surfaces and cleaning out all 26 of the cyl head bolt holes with a thread chaser and solvent and compressed air. I installed a set of reman 4.3 V6 heads, Fel Pro marine head gaskets and used better quality ARP cyl head bolts. I did this repair in 2017 and it's still running well. The short block is all original.
I would advise new if you can get it, you don't have to go through Merc, there are less expensive sources for brand new GM marine 5.7s. Also, I know I'm spending your money but I think you'll have longer engine life with at least a half closed cooling system. When I repower this boat I am definitely doing that and here's my reasoning.
Raw water cooling for an inboard is at best a cost saving compromise.
These engines were designed by GM to be in an automotive application with a pressurized cooling system and antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. An open or raw water cooled system does not control temperatures throughout the system as well as a pressurized system does, there are hot spots especially with the cyl head design of the GM/Chevrolet small block. You can see that the center cyls exhaust ports are right next to each other, this causes this area to run hotter than the other parts of the cyl head. The V6 is a bit better in this regard because the exhaust ports are more spaced out. In the second pic below you can see that the exhaust valves are not right next to each other like on the V8 cyl head.
Even in fresh water I feel that closed cooling is superior, better control of engine temps, engine runs at the temp it was designed to run at and they are also a lot easier to winterize. No pulling apart the rear of the boat to get at those drain plugs . You can just suck antifreeze up the outdrive with this system with no risk of raw water still being in the block like raw water cooling. Or simply drain the head exchanger, manifolds and raw water intake hose/impeller.
Outboards were designed to be raw water cooled, inboards were not, IMHO...

Here's a few pix of my little project:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pu8ac8x71e5u ... l.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fhnjbtutfjej ... 2.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/512kk3jkk1klb ... d.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II