www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:47 pm 
Minnow

I want to ask if anyone has used a local canvas company for making a cockpit cover and forward visor off the radar arch. I contacted Great Lakes BOAT Top Co. AND THEY HAVE INFORMED ME THAT THEY HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THIS MODEL AND YEAR. I keep my boat in Delray Beach , Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
Mental Floss

Their problem isn't the design, it's the crappy sunbrella they have used. FW replaced my canvas under warranty because it developed pinhole through it that appears to be the canvas just dissolving. This one is now 3 yrs old and it is doing the same thing. It's that sunbrella with the rubber backing. Absolutely sucks down here. Have a cool morning with the humidity down here and you are "rained" on under the canvas because of condensation dripping.

They did make my cockpit cover and it has held up well. They used "normal" sunbrella on it and I have had no issues other than it needing to be re-stitched in a few areas.

Get some recommendations for good marine canvas makers and have a local make it. I will be needing to replace my whole bimini probably next season. I have already had my local guy patch my bimini in 6 places. Fortunately I just see the stitching from below otherwise it would bug the hell out of me. Crossing fingers for one more season!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:32 am 
Minnow

Thanks for the reply! My Vista looks exactly like yours the only difference is that my vista has been moored behind a house on the intercostal for about 3 years. I bought it in May of 06 as a leftover and the cockpit cover and forward bimini off the radar arch are on almost all the time. I will start looking for a local canvas guy to make the covers as I didn't get a good feeling from Great Lakes Boat Tops that they really didn't want to do the job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 pm 
Seahorse

Another problem with the vinyl backed Sunbrella is the shrinkage. I have a heck of a time getting the panels to fit. Both of the zippers for the bimini tops broke this last season. I am getting my zippers replaced this year and try to get another season from them. I will replace the forward section and then the rear the following year. The fabricator said even the zippers are undersized. #5 v #10