www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:18 pm 
wkearney99

Anyone have suggestions on what type of adhesive sticks to the vinyl walls on the Vistas? I'd like to avoid puncturing the vinyl to attach a real hook. Thus far the 3M hooks with the 'pull to remove' tabs don't hold, nor have some generic foam tape. Anyone have adhesive hooks they've attached that stayed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:25 am 
268 Vista

Haven't found any that are semi-removeable that work . We even tried the suction cup types. None held for very long. Unless you want it to be permanent, you will have to punch holes or use a permanent adhesive.
There may be something out there, but I am not aware of it.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject: Nothing I've Tried Works
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:00 pm 
Goldfish

I've tried all adhesives with only temporary results. The problem is the high heat inside the cabin during the week when you are away, it just seems to melt the adhesive when there is a shear force on it (i.e something hanging).

I bit the bullet and permanently screwed a small wall clock on my 298 on the vinyl next to the microwave. I found a nice wood mount at a crafts store, stained it to match the cabinets, then poured a high gloss epoxy resin coating similar to what was used for the dinette table, then screwed it through the vinyl to the fiberglass of the shower/head. Then I mounted the clock to that. Looks very nice.

I'm sure you can do this without the wood mount for a hook. Just make sure you know the depth of the fiberglass or plywood behind the vinyl.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:50 am 
wkearney99

Interesting idea on using a mount. Perhaps some sort of strip of wood might work. I'm mainly looking to avoid things that'll negatively affect the eventual resale value. A strip of teak, or cherry to match the cabinets, might be attached in a way that wouldn't look out of place with or without something attached to it. Hmmm, I'll have to bring a piece or two of wood back out the boat and eye it up.

I know what you mean about humidity/heat in the cabin. I keep the AC on and set for 85F as a way to keep things from melting, while not running the compressor too often. This after discovering just what happens to sweets left onboard (thankfully in a ziploc bag).