www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:24 pm 
wkearney99

Anyone have recommendations on an outboard for an 8'6" dinghy for use with a 348 Vista?

I've seen the tohatsu units and like that the power head is rather narrow. Might make for easier storage.

Along those lines, how does one stow an outboard in a 348? I'm eyeing up the engine compartment and there looks like there are several options. One being back on the swim platform, there looks like there's just enough clearance to squeeze inbetween the mufflers and the top of the compartment. Do outboards put up with being stored on their side? Alternatively there might be enough room to store it vertically between the engines, just forward of the hatch lift. Presumably with some sort of bracket being fabricated for the task.

The dinghy's rated for between 3 and 9hp. We'd only be using it for getting folks to/from shore so lots of power/speed isn't a "big priority". That is, it's not enough of a priority to go shelling out an extra grand for for speed.

So what outboards should I consider?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 am 
Seahorse

I have a 3.3 Merc for my 8 1/2 foot. While it won't quite run on plane, it is a easy motor to handle and to carry. Do don't worry about dropping it in the water while transferring it from the boat to the dinghy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:29 am 
wkearney99

Ours is a Bombard 285 (9'4") and they call for between a 6 to 9hp for it. I've hefted a 6hp outboard and it's not beyond what I'd be willing to muscle around. Larger ones do get a bit more unwieldy. I'd be worried that a 3.5 wouldn't have enough oomph to get 4 people to shore in anything but the calmest of conditions. Granted, it's not like be taking anyone out in small craft advisories but I would like to entertain the notion of taking folks into downtown Annapolis from our marina in Eastport. Taking a straight-shot to shore in a cove is one thing, but coming around the point of the Severn into Spa Creek can get a little choppy now and then.

I'm going to see about trying a 6hp on the dinghy this week. If it's 'more than enough' to power 'round to downtown then I may see about finding something smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am 
wkearney99

What sort of engine mounts would work for storing the outboard on a Vista? The transom's reverse shear angle seems like it'd be a bit of a problem for hanging a mount back there. Anyone got something like that sort of mount for an outboard engine on their Vista?