www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I love my 99 Vista 258 to the core, dont get me wrong. Ive never regretted buying it, I ALWAYS love adding new stuff (remote spotlight, chartplotter, opening portlights, etc) and love the versatility of the vessel. However I have a few rants and want to see if Im the only one ...

What the heck was Four Winns thinking when....

We have 2 cupholders at the helm (usually filled with keys/wallet/cell phone, etc) and one fold up cupholder amidships (which somebody walked past and broke off). The 258 Vista is 25'4" - a 1999 Vista 268 is 25'10" yet the 268 has 3 or 4 cupholders built into the stern seating, 2 at the helm, etc. Was that the price difference between the 2 vessels? for cupholders? lol.
From the factory, I didnt have a single opening portlight (window). I had to buy them and add them myself. Can you imagine how pleasant the head was after a weekend anchoring out :!: Sleeping at night was basically the same as sleeping in a sauna. That retarded excuse for a screen they give you to stretch over the hatch in the cabin is a means to get you on high blood pressure medication even earlier than your Father :lol: You get 2 sides on and you think you've gotten the 3rd side.. and then bam! it all comes off the lip.

Also, I really love the logic when Four Winns used "riveted" bimini hardware wheras the same year 268 (and up) Vistas had adjustable jaw slides on the bimini supports. Now my furthest to stern bimini is all stretched out and no way to adjust it with what they give you. It looks like poo. I had to go and buy new jaw slides to install to tighten up the canvas.

No freshwater tank indicator, the gas tank is aluminum and the 268 gets a clear gas tank, I mean give me a break - the 268 is 6" longer. Could they have spared a "see through" gas tank for us 258 owners, and a freshwater tank monitor? hehe

All in all, I love my Four Winns - if I didnt I wouldnt have bought it. But you have to admit - cars, houses, boats are no exception - you can always find the "what were they thinking?!" stuff :lol:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 am 
ShanMan

I have a list of "what were they thinking" for my Funship, but I won't hijack your thread in the Vista section. :)

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:45 am 
268 Vista

We had money down on a 258, when the 268 came along for about the same price and 3 years newer. We bought the 268 for several reasons, some of which you have mentioned, is why we did not get a 258. I wish we had tank monitors also.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:26 am 
Mental Floss

Cap, install them... did on my 248 Vista, should be the same install on your 268.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:12 pm 

jvalich wrote:
Cap, install them... did on my 248 Vista, should be the same install on your 268.

My 258 has a waste tank monitor, which after cleaning the sending unit off basically every time the tank gets used, still doesnt work and always reads "full" when its dead empty.

The freshwater tank is a hit or miss - when you turn on the pump and get air, its empty. :roll:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 pm 

Technologic80 wrote:
jvalich wrote:

My 258 has a waste tank monitor, which after cleaning the sending unit off basically every time the tank gets used, still doesnt work and always reads "full" when its dead empty.

The freshwater tank is a hit or miss - when you turn on the pump and get air, its empty. :roll:

You would think that for what the 258 sold for in 1999, that a lousy freshwater tank monitor wouldnt be a big deal!

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:21 pm 
Mental Floss

The sender issue sucks. That's exactly why I installed a Snake River unit that uses external sensor tape. Very easy to install. Four Winns paid for the replacement of the system in my 288 with a Snake River of my choice.

Works great and the snsors never get clogged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
268 Vista

I may look into that John. It looks like a better than OEM system.
Do you have a link ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:01 pm 
Mental Floss

http://snake-river.org/ I ordered mine from Boatfix.com.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:47 pm 
Seahorse

Technologic80 wrote:
That retarded excuse for a screen they give you to stretch over the hatch in the cabin is a means to get you on high blood pressure medication even earlier than your Father :lol: You get 2 sides on and you think you've gotten the 3rd side.. and then bam! it all comes off the lip.

They certainly didn't improve that one with the 268. Anyone find an aftermarket screen that actually works?

Not too many complaints on the 268, but . . .

the starboard speaker UNDER the seat? Almost inaudible.

A portion of the bow rail sticks out past the line of the rub rail, so when you hit a piling while docking (not that we've ever done that), the bow rail takes the hit

Could the aft portion of the engine compartment be any more difficult to get to? The aft seat is almost possible to remove, just to get to all the screws that hold the aft hatch down

But I have to say, the "they really thought this out"s outweighs the "what were they thinking"s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:49 pm 

Partner Ship wrote:
But I have to say, the "they really thought this out"s outweighs the "what were they thinking"s

Agree. The drain on the 258's step down to the companionway is a bonus! I usually stand there to drip-dry after swimming.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:41 am 
268 Vista

Thanks for the link John. I will look into that in the off season. I also have several friends that will definately be interested in it as well.

Ah........... the screen in the hatch. That is strictly the wife's responsibility.
I would rip it to shreds if I had to put it on myself. I am glad that it is there at least, many mfg's did not include a screen on the hatch. How does anybody feel about the translucent hatch? Lets waaaay to much light in the cabin in the morning for my tastes.

There are replacement hatches available that have a sliding screen on one side, and a shade on the other. They just slide out of the way. May put one of these in this winter. It would solve the screen and morning light issue.
They do come in the round style like we have on our 268's. About $200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:43 am 
Clownfish

no complaints here.

I have a buddy with a 238, he put a velcro strip around his cabin door then cut out screen from the hobby store and attched the other half of velcro.

WHA-LA Instant screen door !!!

I'll post pics when I get mine finished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:57 am 
268 Vista

The 268 has a factory screen door which is great, the screen for the cabin hatch is a pain in the arse. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:42 am 

wrbanwal wrote:
no complaints here.

I have a buddy with a 238, he put a velcro strip around his cabin door then cut out screen from the hobby store and attched the other half of velcro.

WHA-LA Instant screen door !!!

I'll post pics when I get mine finished!

Please do. Interested in seeing that.

379 hours as of 8/8/21