www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

I work half day on Saturday and we are off on Wednesday so our weekends are split. We spent every Tues. night and Sat. night on the boat last summer from mid may until mid October. I like to think we have the best of both worlds. Most f the time we have the wole marina to ourselves on Tues & Wed and have Sat. & and Sun with all our boating friends.

So far this year we are 100% since we put in on Apr.30 and looking forward for the long weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:50 am 
Mental Floss

She grewup on the beach so she is resistant to going a lot. She doesn't like to swim in the lakes. I was hoping to get her interested in some watersports now that Ben is going to be 10 and likes it. I'm going to try to get Ben interested in snorling this summer. I think he'll have a blast. I know I always did.

As to the slip thing, a marina on the coast is 45 miles away and about $350/month. Add in bottom paint and that issue and it adds quite a bit of cost. Plus, Cindy get's bored going to the same spots. She does really like to explore new cruising grounds which a trailer allows us to do. We have trailered as far north as Ill as my family lives in the Chicago area. Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Kentucky Lake has been some of our destinations.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:50 am 
Seahorse

:D You can't compare what it takes you and her to get ready..

I'm ready to go anywhere in 2-3 mins, she takes 30 mins minimum to get her things right :D

You know in Ohio there is a theme park on a sand bar (Cedar Point) and you can boat to it and then spend some time there.. Maybe you can find something like this? Best of both worlds?

But I agree Marina should help..

jvalich wrote:
I really think the issue is boiling down to the kids. She reminds me all the time how much work it is to "pack" the boat. I keep my stuff on the boat, she feels the need to pack and unpack. All of us have enough "stuff" to have the essentials on land and sea. One would think that with the years of boating she has under her belt she would have streamlined the process abit. When I "solo" on the boat, I take some soda, water and beer, the perishable food for the trip and everthing else is already on board. Takes 10 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 am 
Seahorse

I've got one of those Pocket PC phones with Windows Mobile (Samsung i730 from Verizon) with data plan ($45) you can browse internet, check e-mails etc - very handy :)

SoonerBoater wrote:
We hope to spend the night Sunday on the boat. Our problem is we have isolated thunderstorms in the forecast every day for the next 5 days, later storms worse than earlier ones! The first time my family experiences a thunderstorm, medium to severe, on the lake would probably be the last time, so if its iffy, we will merely spend the days on the lake. We might spend night at the marina Sunday night and go back out Monday.

My admiral likes (not loves) the boat and boating. She likes relaxing. What she misses is connection to the internet and e-mail. I'm planning on subscribing to Verizon wireless and taking one of the notebooks to the boat. Then she'd love it! I'd like having connection too. I'm planning on writing a couple of articles for my professional society's journal this summer and would have more fun writing on the boat, by myself, anchored in a favorite anchorage.

What could make the boat more fun for your wife, jvalich? I know it is a hassle carrying stuff on and off, particularly dirty bedding, making the beds, etc. We have a Magma grill so I do all cooking on board.

Its my teenage boys that don't want to go to the boat as much. But sometimes thats a GOOD thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:12 pm 
Sting Ray

John;

You should try slipping the boat all the same - especially if you can do it from month to month.

The advantage of slipping the boat is all of the interaction you can have with the other boaters on the dock. We drive 100 miles one way each week to our boat, and we leave on Fri Nite and return Sun Nite.

If you don't like it after a few weeks, you can always take the boat back out. Two months should not mean you have to jack-hammer the bottom clean (I hope).

This is so much a difference when you go to the marina and see the same folks each weekend - I think if you ask anyone here that does this you will find this is half of the reason to go to the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:55 pm 
Mental Floss

We belong to a club and go boating with the same group. A real bunch of nice people. This year I'm actualy the Commodore ...go figure :shock: This Saturday the club is cruising to Sarasota Cay Marina. Very nice marina and facilities. She is hedging. It's about a 45 mile ride across Tampa Bay and down Sarasota Bay. Looks like she will be opting out, a buddy I believe is going to crew for me.

I spent Sunday on the water with a woman who was asking a lot of questions about a 17' bowrider. She is a hope to be brand new boater. She was baffled as to where my wife was. She simply couldn't understand why she wasn't out enjoying the beautiful day. The reason...a sale at JC Penny, like those never happen!

The month I had the boat in the slip I fourtunately took it out on a day when a guy was pressure washing boats right at the ramp for tips. I gave him $10 and he pressure washed the whole boat, not just the hull below the waterline. It still had small barnacles all over it and they are still in the small crevesis of the outdrive. Without bottom paint it just isn't a goo thing to do.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm 
wkearney99

They pulled our 348 Vista out last week, after it'd been in the Chesapeake since the start of April.

No signs of anything sticking to the bottom paint but the trim tabs already showed signs of barnacles starting. There's no way I'd leave a boat in the water for more than a week or two without bottom paint. Barnacles dig into the surface in order to attach themselves. Even if you remove them you're still left with the microscopic holes they'll have made. This gives the next batch, and various other stuff like algae, an easier foothold the next time it's in the water.

They pulled the boat because of an unexplained vibration from the port engine, one that cleared itself up during the return trip back to the dock. Could've been some sort of debris in the prop (but how often do you EVER hear of something clearing itself outta the props?). While it was in the lift they discovered the prop shaft zincs had worked loose, enough for the starboard one to slide all the way down to the bracket. Then they discovered all six engine mounts had worked loose (one nearly completely).

All of which was fortunately covered by warranty and fixed on the spot by the Ryan at Riverside in Essex.

I'll echo the value to being in a slip with other regulars. It's been a tremendous amount of help to have folks around. For tips on local places to see, tossing you a line when things get WINDY, or helping to get Happy Hour started off right!

Post subject: First Overnight
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:08 pm 
Minnow

We have had our 288 for a year now and have spent maybe 20 nights on the boat. Kids are getting older and it has been a great way for my wife and I to get away. We often take our mountain bikes and park them at the marina where we stay and use the bikes to get around town. Has especially been fun in downtown St. Pete. We often have friends drop by where we are overnighting for wine, music and fun. Longboat Key Moorings was excellent (golf course at the Marina) and Tampa bayside marina has an excellent nightspot (Rattlefish grill)

You will love it.

Jay