www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:59 am 
Seahorse

Hi, I'm new to boating and had an '03 268 Vista surveyed yesterday and went on a sea trial. I was wondering if you can let me know your thoughts on the following things that came up during the trial/survey:

The boat has about 170 hours, 350 Mag MPI (300 hp), bravo III, air, vacuflush with a number of options.

1. We experienced a period after leaving the dock (that was dismissed later as seaweed or something on the prop) where the RPMs were not showing correctly and the boat was not producing good speed. RPMs were oddly high, even though the speed was low. We were headed back to dock thinking there was a problem, and then decided to go back and try again. Put in in reverse for awhile, back into forward, back out on the lake, and everything seemed fine. Surveyor suggested it was something on the prop, and the prop was cavitating--revs were showing up to 5500 with speeds in the 20s. After we went back out, all was well. Do you agree that these would be symptoms of seaweed/something on prop?

2. After we got back out, here's the numbers (which I am a little dissappointed at)--boat was full fuel, 3 guys on board:
RPM MPH
2000 7.8
2500 8.3
3000 15.9
3500 25
4000 31.4
4500 37
WOT(4850) 38-39
We messed around with trim and think this is the best we could get. These are a little lower than spec for this engine, but not too much lower. Do these sound reasonable?

3. There was a slight clicking noise from the drive--seemed to come and go some, and when it was there, it seemed louder when the drive was turned fully one way or the other.

4. Boat had a few minor stress cracks in fiberglass at some screw points where it looked like something hit, and a few scrapes on side. Nothing major--just need to get over this not being new boat. Also had some other minor things--some dripping from vacuflush mechanism when I flushed the head, horn didn't work, screw holding refrigerator in had popped out, one are on camper canvas that would need some work. All in all, not much.

I was wondering if you could let me know your thoughts on these items. I've having a mechanic come look at it today, compression check, check the clicking noise, etc. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:36 am 
268 Vista

Numbers sound fine. My Horn doesn't work either, plan on fixing or replacing it every 2 years. Have the Drive and Prop checked. Do a compression check just to be safe. Priced around 54K, hopefully.

Otherwise, it sounds like a typical 268 Vista. I would feel more comfortable if it had Volvo power, but that's just me.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:38 am 
Mental Floss

Here is the data from Four Winns. Your numbers seem a touch low, but within the range considering load and various conditions. With a 5.7 the boat will not be a speed demon. WOT of 42mph wth the Merc 6.2 and 45mph with the VP 8.1.

http://www.fourwinns.net/fastfacts/fastfact/2003/268V.pdf

If the boat surveys well both physically and mechancally and is priced right, go for it.[/url]

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:34 am 
Starfish

Check the BIII's and make sure they are the updated ones with the extra anodes. There should be a big anode that looks like a bullet on the end of the prop shaft or at least the screw hole to put one in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:34 am 
Seahorse

Thanks everyone--really appreciate the input. I'll check on the BIII--there were two anodes (one on each side) a little above the prop and facing outward, there was a circular anode on the top face of the portion of the drive that faces the prop, and I believe there were a couple of additional anodes back there, but I'm not sure if there was one (or a screw for one) at the end of the prop shaft. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 am 
Seahorse

Mechanical inspection came back suggesting replacing gimbal bearing (reason for noise), plus having drive service done, as well as some other servicing, but report was that it was basically an almost-new boat, and just needed some routine maintenance.

Bought the boat last Friday and am loving it! Now, docking in the wind on Sunday is a separate matter for another thread . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:33 am 
268 Vista

Congrats !!! Wind and cruisers do not mix . I know that too well.
You will love the boat, enjoy.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy