www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 288 radio problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:25 am 
Minnow

I have a 2005 vista 288, my problem is that all of sudden my cockpit stereo stopped working. The cabin works fine, but all speakers including the ones in the radar arch have no sound. I checked all of the settings and they appear to be ok. Does anyone have any ides where I should look for the problem as I don't want to start tearing things apart with no idea what I am doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:49 am 
268 Vista

I would pull the head unit and check connections first. If that doesn't solve it, you could hook up some speakers to the cockpit connections on the back of the HU, and see if they play. This way you can determine if the head unit lost the cockpit(rear) terminals without tracing wires throughout the boat.

Does your warranty cover the stereo ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just had a similar thing happen to me last weekend. Looking at the stereo (Sony CDX-C4750), it appears to be working fine; radio stations are being tuned in and received, CD player appears to be functioning, and all controls (volume, balance, fader, etc) appear to be working as per the display. But no sound, not even static. I've connected another stereo to my speakers and they work fine. All I can think of is that the output side of the stereo is fried. I have no external amp. Stereo worked fine on Sunday when I shut the boat down for the night, but when I turned it on Monday, nothing. I wasn't even "abusing" the stereo on Sunday and it's not like it stop working during play. Just happened overnight. Not worth having it checked and repaired, so replacing it with a Clarion M255.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:28 pm 
Starfish

You probably already did this but just make sure you did not adjust your fade by mistake. That will change the power output to your cabin or cockpit speakers.

Post subject: 288 radio
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:20 am 
Minnow

Thanks for the input. I have a Clarion unit and I think I have a additional amplifier somewhere on the boat. I can't find any documentation on where it's located so I'll take out the radio unit and look behind it. It's probably covered under warranty, but I was hoping that I could find it rather than traveling 40 miles round trip to get it looked at by the selling dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:40 pm 
Minnow

HI, I have a Clarion , and it has a dedicated amplifier for the cockpit speakers and the subwoofer, also it has a breaker in the breaker panel (12volt)that is only for the cockpit speakers"radio".
I would suggest to check the fuse of the amplifier.
By the way have you ever changed the remote at the helm, I need to find out the way to take that out since I dont find any screws in the panels, and dont want to break the plastic cover.
Moico
2006 Vista 2006

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:27 am 
Minnow

I plan to take the boat back to the dealership this comming Tuesday. I checked the fuses in the amp and they appear to be ok, I even changed the power amp out with a new loaner from the dealership. I will ask them how to remove the remote while I am there Tuesday and post back an answer to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:06 pm 
Minnow

Thank you, this is how the cookpit looks, the remote in the the lower left.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:13 pm 
Minnow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:26 pm 
Minnow

I have the same remote unit in a different location, I'll let you know what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:49 pm 
Minnow

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:55 am 
Guppy

Not sure if this is this would correct your problem but when I got my boat (2002 vista 268), I noticed that I couldn't get the rear cockpit speakers to work also. I noticed that the 600W amplifier located under the top of the cabin galley cabinet (next to overhead flourescent light) showed no power indication. According to the stereo manual (clarion XMD3), you need to set the low pass filter for sub woofer output. Instructions are as follows:
1. Press and hold the [T] button for 1 second or longer to switch to the adjustment selection display.
2. Press the 'back' or 'forward' button and select 'SW LPF'
3. Press the 'up' or 'down' button to setting changes as followind order:
"LPF 120" to "LPF 80" to "LPF 50" to "REAR"
4. Press the [T] button to return to the previous mode.
Apparently if the power is disrupted to the stereo at any time, the stereo defaults to "LPF" 120 which only supplies sound to the cabin speakers. If this doesn't help, it may be the amp itself. Hope this can be of some help.