www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winter covers?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 am 
wkearney99

Anyone have a cover than encloses the entire boat for the winter? We'll be facing winterization in the coming months and I figure now's as good a time as any to start the shopping. Ours is a 2005 348 Vista. I'd like to get something more than the cockpit cover as it doesn't protect the foredeck and the arch. Not to mention the little poles are no match for winter snow build-up. I've seen folks mention custom canvas covers by Fisher, anyone have comments or alternatives?

This would be for storage on the hard, not in water. I'd expect some sort of frame would be required to support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am 
268 Vista

If you do indeed have an unlimited budget, Fischer can make a custom cover for your boat, at a premium.

Have the boat shrink wrapped for a few hundred bucks. That is what most cruiser owners around here do when they store the boat outside.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 am 
wkearney99

I've e-mailed fisher for a quote. From what I've read elsewhere it's about three seasons worth of shrink wrap to recover the cost of the cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:53 am 
268 Vista

wkearney99 wrote:
I've e-mailed fisher for a quote. From what I've read elsewhere it's about three seasons worth of shrink wrap to recover the cost of the cover.

That sounds like a decent estimate. Might be a little low for a 348 however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:24 pm 
Sting Ray

Bill, fisher makes a great winter cover, its expensive, i bet it will cost around $ 2000. thats about 6-7 years of shrink wrap. I know freinds that are very careful when removing their shrink wrap and they re-use it 1 or 2 more seasons, good luck, Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
Clownfish

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
If you do indeed have an unlimited budget, Fischer can make a custom cover for your boat, at a premium.

Have the boat shrink wrapped for a few hundred bucks. That is what most cruiser owners around here do when they store the boat outside.

Does anyone have a good contact for the Grand Rapids, MI area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:53 am 
268 Vista

wrbanwal wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

For shrink wrap or a custom built cover ??
I'm in Muskegon, and there is a canvas shop here that can make
a cover, but it will be more than one from Fischer.

For shrink wrap, any dealer, marina and many storage facilities do that on site. Not a problem for me, as I keep my boat in inside heated storage. I kept my old boat outside in the elements for 8 years. Too much of a pain to keep all the snow off. As well as the mold that WILL form inside the boat, critters that nest in the boat etc. In this climate, and with a 28 foot boat, it doesn't make any sense to store it outside. What I pay for heated storage, the cover would pay for itself in 4 years. Not that attractive to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 am 
Clownfish

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
wrbanwal wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

For shrink wrap or a custom built cover ??
I'm in Muskegon, and there is a canvas shop here that can make
a cover, but it will be more than one from Fischer.

For shrink wrap, any dealer, marina and many storage facilities do that on site. Not a problem for me, as I keep my boat in inside heated storage. I kept my old boat outside in the elements for 8 years. Too much of a pain to keep all the snow off. As well as the mold that WILL form inside the boat, critters that nest in the boat etc. In this climate, and with a 28 foot boat, it doesn't make any sense to store it outside. What I pay for heated storage, the cover would pay for itself in 4 years. Not that attractive to me.

I was thinking about the shrink wrap and keeping it outside.

I did inside cold last year and didn't notice any mold issues although I put about 10 of those moisture bags inside every place I could find. If I shrink wrap then is the snow even an issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:24 am 
268 Vista

Usually, a good shrink wrap job includes some wood bracing under the wrap, to insure no damage from the weight of the snow. You can re-use the wood bracing for a few years, if it is put together properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:44 am 
wkearney99

Fisher's initial estimate is just over $2300. I'll have to compare that to some local quotes for shrink wrapping in the Annapolis area.

From the perspective of mold, what's worse, the canvas or plastic wrapping? Assuming of course that I'll make use of proper amounts of dessicant bags.