www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:31 pm 
Goldfish

After running to a destination in 3 hours in bumpy conditions, my starboard engine (2001 Vista 298) stalled out (fortunately about 15 minutes from our destination). Since the power steering pump comes off the starboard engine, steering was very difficult. Just before docking and after about 15-20 minutes of single engine running, I tried to restart the engine and it restarted and acted as if nothing was wrong.

Upon return from the trip, I had my VP authorized mechanic look at it. He just happened to have the Volvo Penta Regional Tech REp there and they determined that my oil level was too high. They replaced the oil filter and about quart of oil along with it to reduce the oil level and declared everything fine. No codes showed up on their engine analyzer before they changed the oil filter.

The reason they gave for oil level putting the engine in power reduction mode is that when operating, the required amount of oil is distributed throughout the engine doing its thing. If there is an excessive amount of oil remaining in the oil pan, that oil gets sloshed around and mixes with the air to cause foaming. The oil pressure sensor reads this as low pressure and either shuts down the engine or reduces max power - in my case the engine shut down. Sort of a self-protection mode.

As part of winterization, I put my normal 6 quarts (Mobil 1). I guess since you cannot completely suck out all the oil, the residual amount on top of 6 quarts is enough to cause the high level. I noticed the dipstick was always showing above the recommended range, but thought that normal usage would bring it within normal. Apparently, the Mobil 1 and the VP engines don't consume that much oil (a good thing).

Anyway, keep your levels in the now "required" zone.

Joe