www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I checked on my engine on the boat today and found out that it is a 5.0 Gi rated at 250 hp at 4800 to 5000 rpm WOT that translates into a maximum 41 mph. So, I'm shy 10 mph's. Should I pursue it further or let it go? The next step would be to contact Volvo Penta directly. I don't know if it is worth it, other than when it comes time to sell the boat and it doesn't perform to spec's.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 am 
Mental Floss

Next piece of the puzzle, get it on a scale and weight it. See how close it is to specs. Also, what do you have stored on board? It's amazing how much stuff you can fill a boat with. We filled the driveway when we unloaded our 248 Vista before selling it.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:38 pm 
Shark

I checked the FW specs and assuming you have the right drive, a prop in good shape, and a top speed of 32 MPH, you've lost about half the rated HP somewhere. Something is either seriously wrong with your engine or seriously wrong with the hull/prop/drive. Since you have a new engine, I would venture to guess something needs to be addressed with it.

Now, the FW site says 41 MPH but that's under perfect conditions. For comparison, I have a 328Vista with the 5.7GXI. FW says this boat has a top speed of 45 MPH. I have personally witnessed on GPS 43 MPH but this is with a boat full of our stuff, bottom paint, and at least half gas. At a min. you should see 38-40 MPH with everything set up correctly.

How fast did the boat run before the new engine? I would get your mechanic to check out the engine. It's possible that something is very wrong... did the mechanic actually rebuild the engine or buy a reman. engine from someone else and install it? Marine engines require unique cams, heads, etc. for them to perform well. Is the ignition timing set correctly? Does the engine run hot at all? Something is definitely wrong and personally I would not accept 8-9 MPH less than how it should be performing. You probably are also suffering on the fuel economy as well.

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:03 pm 

The boat is practically stripped down. Since I put it in the water, I've put 140 gal. of gas in it and put 24 hours on the boat and have approximately 27 gals. left in the tank. That's about 4.7 gals. per hour at varied speeds on average from 15 to 31 mph. That looks about normal. The temp is good. I'm beginning to think outdrive. I have a place where I can weigh the trailer w/boat and w/o. I'll be doing that next week. I'll call my mechanic again and be a bit more insistant on what the boat is rated at. Anyone have a good contact at volvo penta???

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:38 pm 
Mental Floss

Mr. Michael Townsley, Senior Vice President- Sales and Marketing. He was the fellow who called me to tell me a new motor was being freighted down to my local dealer and made the appointment for me for the service. When I called, they said he had already called and informed them I was their highest priority. That was 2.5 years ago.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:03 pm 

I almost bought a 238 Vista with a 4.3L engine until I found out it had like 205HP. I wondered if that pig would get out of its own shadow.. LOL :lol:

And your mph sound about right with the 5.0L. My 1999 258 Vista (realize you have the 238, but just for the sake of the argument) has the 5.7L and duo-prop and my WOT best top speed was 40 per GPS. On any other normal day with a semi-dirty bottom, full tank of gas, full tank of freshwater and me and the first mate I would get about 37.5MPH WOT.

379 hours as of 8/8/21