www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky Camper Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:42 am 
Seahorse

Do all Vista camper tops leak from the corners? During heavy to very heavy rain/T-storms, I find that I'm getting water that is coming from the front corners of the camper top on an '03 268 Vista. On the port side, the water runs from the corner down the metal pole, along the side of the boat, and drips where the cooler is located. After daily rain for a few days, I went out yesterday and found the carpet wet, and the engine compartment (near the battery) carrying a bunch of water from overflow that didn't make it through the drain by the engine compartment.

I've got the velcro pulled over tight, and everything is zipped and snapped, and was just curious if this is a common 268 Vista thing. thanks

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:56 am 
Mental Floss

We have lots of rain here in Florida. I've been on new boats and old boats of a bunch of manufacturers...ALL leak. The design will be the deciding facter as to where and how much. I don't believe any camper canvas has ever been labled "waterproof"

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:15 am 
Seahorse

Thanks jvalich--I figured that might be the case, but wasn't sure what to expect. Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:59 am 
Dolphin

My camper top leaks alot less after using 303 "Fabric Guard". It made a big improvement!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 34/11201/4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:38 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks Fred--I'll give this a try. jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:42 pm 
268 Vista

My 268 canvas leaks a little in a heavy rain, but not really too much at all.
The 303 is an excellent product. I will spray mine before next season.
It's been about 3 years now since the last application.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject: How about mildew?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:19 pm 
Goldfish

After 5 years of no leaking on my 298, mine would have moisture on the inside but not enough to drip. In the northern Chesapeake Bay, the inside started to grow mildew. It was easy to wipe off with a damp towel, but always seemed to return the following weekend. It had been 3 years since my last application of 303.

As a mid-season fix, I bought some Starbrite waterproofer And no mildew the next two weeks. But the third week after application on the outside only, the mildew is back. I have new front and side Strataglas with closer fitting edge seals where the buttons are located.

I have had the new Strataglass for the third season and this is the first, the mildew has grown. The treated top still beads water after the Starbrite application.

What could be causing the mildew. I noticed that the inside zippered areas had mildew and I had missed those areas before. Could those areas been the source of the continued growth? It is unusual that the canvas directly under the radar arch had no mildew growth (for 2001, the canvas was a single piece that went under the radar arch). I thought this was due to the radar arch preventing dew forming directly under neath it.

Any suggestions?

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:25 am 
Shark

Not to bash Four Winns, I have a 2002 Vista 328 which I'm very satisfied with overall, but the tops are garbage. Like most production boat builders you end up with low bid extra's. I've heard it from others and experianced it for myself, this boat has a wet ride. After 2 years of leaking top corners I had mine replaced last month to the tune of $7,200. That included the 2 tops and full enclosures and storage cover. End of problem. The 303 mention only treats the fabric, does nothing for a poorly designed top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 am 
Shark

Not to bash Four Winns, I have a 2002 Vista 328 which I'm very satisfied with overall, but the tops are garbage. Like most production boat builders you end up with low bid extra's. I've heard it from others and experianced it for myself, this boat has a wet ride. After 2 years of leaking top corners I had mine replaced last month to the tune of $7,200. That included the 2 tops and full enclosures and storage cover. End of problem. The 303 mention only treats the fabric, does nothing for a poorly designed top. Just wait until the leaky tops start causing the carpet backing to fail as mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:29 pm 
Seahorse

Poorly designed corners seem to be my problem. I was thinking of creating some kind of corner cover myself, and either using velcro or snaps to have a separate 'cover' for each corner that stops any water from coming in through the corners. I'm about to store the boat for the winter, so this will be another project for my growing list of '07 projects!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:27 am 
Seahorse

I totally agree about the crappy camper canvas product. Four Winns used Dickson Fabric on our 268, and it does mist during a downpour. Friends of ours have a newer 268, where Sunbrella was used, and during the same downpour, not a mist, drop or anything. I can see why they went back to Sunbrella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 am 
wkearney99

Our 2005 348 has a top done by Great Lakes, using Sunbrella. It's not given us any real trouble and doesn't leak any more than I'd expect. Yeah, there's a couple of places that tend to let in water when things get heavy. The only one that really bugs me is the base of the windshield. There's an annoying tendency for rain to work it's way in and drip from the bottom port side of the center flap. This is right above the companionway stairs. Can't tell 'for sure' where the water is getting into the flap but it works it's way down to the bottom and drips. Not all the time though. It hasn't happened enough for me to narrow down the reason. That and the starboard side front window tends to let moisture wick in at the bottom aft edge when underway in the rain.

But otherwise we've had nowhere near the trouble others are citing here. Could be the boat model and the top material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:29 am 
Shark

I have been very disappointed with the camper canvas on our 328. Our old 91' Chaparral with 14 year old canvas was better than this boat! Sitting still in a heavy rain brings on so many leaks that even with a hint of rain, we bring everything we want to keep dry into the cabin. The problem isn't the Sunbrella or the water proofing, it's the design of the camper top. It's completely unacceptable and if I ever buy another FW cruiser (or any mfg for that matter), you can bet I'm not going to sign a deal until we get to experience the camper top in the rain. We have the leak on the base of the windshield, leaks on the dash, leaks at zippers, virtually everywhere. What's worse is when you start to actually plane out. Then the real intrusion begins. Plus if we get caught in a storm, put up the canvas and suffer through the storm, once it stops we have a good hour of drying everything out. Very disappointing.

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260