www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 am 
Starfish

The storgage area under the cabin seats in the forward cabin area (bow) seem to be collecting water. My V278 is docked on sea water yet the collecting water does not taste particularly salty. After drying out the effected area the problem seems to reoccur. It looks as though the water is running down the carpet on the inside of the V of the hull in the storage area under the front seats and then moving toward the rear in the unders seat conpartments. Does anyone else have the same issue? Any ideas what could be causing this? Im guessing either rain/hose water is coming in via the anchor rope storage compartment or another more serious problem.

Your thoughts / assistance would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 am 
268 Vista

Olivergm wrote:
Im guessing either rain/hose water is coming in via the anchor rope storage compartment

That is where it is coming from. Look for any small areas in the locker that did not get caulked completely. Re-apply some caulk or 4200 everywhere that it could possibly leak from.
It's not uncommon on that hull to have this leak occur. Some just leak worse than others.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 am 
Starfish

Spot on buddy. I poured half a
glass of water down the anchor storage area, went into the cabin and watched
it flow down the inside of the hull once again wetting the carpet. Not the smartest move but at least I knew what repairs were
needed. I've recaulked the join so
hopefully that issue is sorted!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am 
268 Vista

Glad I was of some help for a change. I hope you get the leak stopped.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:42 pm 
Dolphin

You might want to check and confirm that water has not seeped down into the lower bow area on your boat ( below the floor level). You can probably best check this from the opening where the shower sump pump and forward bilge pump are located. The mechanic at my marina used a flashlight and mirror to take a peak towards the bow from that access point.

I had purchased a 2006 V278 back in early August and did not initially notice an odd odour down in the lower cabin area. Well we spent quite some time trying to isolate where the problem was coming from...some felt it was the water tanks as the water didn't smell too sweet from the taps (especially the hot water side). After flushing the tanks many times without any success I asked the folks at the marina to check it out. The mechanic found a pool of water sitting in the bow area that had been there for some time. They were able to dry it out and give it a good cleaning and it's been much better ever since.

One thing that always puzzled me is where did the water come from. The mechanic thought perhaps an issue with the shower sump pump or something similar that was corrected but not cleaned up properly. Now I wonder if perhaps the anchor storage compartment could be the source. I'll check it out for sure.

Thanks for the info!

Kevin

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm 
Starfish

I have exactly the same issue. The front bilge area is forever under 2 inches of water. Not sea water but dirty rain or tap water just sitting at the bottom of the boat. Im hoping it has all been coming throught he anchor area and will dry out now that Ive sealed the join. Ill try dry it out this w/e (any tips for that?). I thinks its a combination of rain, water from spraying down the boat and then sea water being brought up with the rope when you pull up the anchor.

Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 pm 
Dolphin

Olivergm wrote:
I have exactly the same issue. The front bilge area is forever under 2 inches of water. Not sea water but dirty rain or tap water just sitting at the bottom of the boat. Im hoping it has all been coming throught he anchor area and will dry out now that Ive sealed the join. Ill try dry it out this w/e (any tips for that?). I thinks its a combination of rain, water from spraying down the boat and then sea water being brought up with the rope when you pull up the anchor.

Oliver

Oliver,
If the source of your leak is fixed (hopefully :)) I'd say you should try and dry out the area. The water in my hull area had been there for some time (certainly based on the smell) so I don't know how long it would take to dry if left alone. As I understand it, my mechanic removed the base area (where the dinette table is supported) and this gave him better access to that section. He gave that area a good bleach cleaning (trying to eliminate the odour) after using a water vac to pull out the water. I now always check the sump pump access hatch and ensure no water is present. I just want to be sure this problem (odour) does not return as it made me question my purchase decision for a while (not a happy moment I'd say LOL)

Good luck!

Kevin

"Heart's Content II"