www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 pm 
Dolphin

So you guys have been good enough to help me with my purchase questions, well we now own the 05 348. couple of questions, when I read the manual it talks about opening and closing the sea cock for the A/C and Gen. does one really have to open the hatch and open the sea cock prior to operation the gen then close it after every use? Do we also has to open and close everytime the A/C is used.
Also what is the average monthly docking fee and what services do you get. In Northern Ontario the season will be sort but I bet it does not reflect in the annual docking fee.
These may seem like basic questions but this whole process is new to me.
Thanks for all the help..
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 pm 
All Night Long

I leave my seacocks open. You do not need to close them off after every use.

Docking expenses will vary greatly by region. Covered/uncovered/amenities, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 am 
email admin your custom rank

Terryd

Welcome. That sure is a nice boat you have, I looked at the pics on Skyline.
Docking fees around our parts can be expensive depending where you are. If I remember correctly you will be up in Georgian Bay. There are some nice marinas owned by Park Bridge which I have stayed at a few and are some of the best kept marinas. A seasonal slip there will run you approx $4600 - $5600, depending if you want covered or not. Generall speaking most willl include your spring launch/fall haul out & block, water, hydro. There are a lot of very nice properties in your area its best to take a weekend and go for a drive to see them in person

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

http://www.skylinemarina.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=2544620&bvdid=8561&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&#

Terry's new baby?

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 am 
Starfish

In Singapore Im lucky enough to be on the water 365 days of the year and my V278 seacocks are permanently open. Im new to the boating game but understand that's the norm. Ensure you are able to close them if required and Id suggest closing them if you dont intend using the a/c, gen etc for a while. Obviously your hoses etc should all be in good condition before risking leaving the seacocks open.

Any other advise wise old sea dogs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 am 
Dolphin

Thanks Mike and good thinking to go to Skyline. I don't have any real good pic's yet but sure will this summer. We are hoping to get it into Killarney this summer if there is no room there we will go to Little Current.
The survey and compression test came out real good with above average on all reports and I even had the dealer that sold the boat new offer to buy it for more than I paid so all sounds ok.
Man that is a lot of $ to park for such a short season bet the guys in the south don't pay much more and have a much better season. We are use to this stuff we have a little plane so know what it is like to be hit hard.
Good to here I will likely have a lot of stupid questions but you guys will get use to me..

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:50 am 
268 Vista

A bit better for a "southerner" like me. :wink: Slip fee for us is $1800 for 6 month season, uncovered slip. Haul out in fall covers power washing the hull and rack storage (not an option for you) for $750. That also includes spring launch.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 am 
Dolphin

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
A bit better for a "southerner" like me. :wink: Slip fee for us is $1800 for 6 month season, uncovered slip. Haul out in fall covers power washing the hull and rack storage (not an option for you) for $750. That also includes spring launch.

Thats just not fair :lol:

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 pm 
wkearney99

The seacocks for the AC and genset (1 for each) are located in the cabin, not in the engine compartment. They're under the center seat down in the mid-cabin, under the helm. The hassle is the two cushions straddle the one access hatch. Generally I only close them when I know we'll be away from the boat for more than a week. Some folks prefer to avoid leaving seacocks open any time they're away from the boat. This is not necessarily bad advice. Because if the hose on one of them fails it'll let in enough water to put a real strain on the bilge pumps. But there are lots of other ways for a boat to sink and you can't protect against all of them. To a certain extent that's what insurance is for... Also consider that if you close the AC seacock you lose the ability to leave it running in dehumidify mode in the summer since it won't run without water (and will lose it's prime if you do).

It is a good idea to open and close all four seacocks (ac, genset, 2 engines) at least once a month to make sure they're operating smoothly. They are metal and they can corrode. You don't want to get stuck and break on you. Exercising them on a regular basis will help you be able to tell if/when they start acting up. Just remember to be GENTLE when turning that handle. You DO NOT want to push too hard on it. The seacock is bolted into the hull and if you push too hard it is possible to have it break. That, as they said in Ghostbusters, "would be bad". If they're in working order it'll be a firm but smooth effort to open/close them.

So let your own sense of worry be your guide on how often you close them.

Can't help you on docking costs, we pay over $5k (electricity included) for our year-round slip in Annapolis, with no pull-out or storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Dolphin

Thats great advise Bill, thanks for that. I had it in my head the the Gen sea cock was under the engine hatch. 5K looks like a good deal. Was just fishing for ruff numbers.
Once again thanks.

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:46 pm 
Minnow

As a 348 owner (2003 version) I usually close the generator sea cock when not in use and only close the A/C sea cock if away for an extended period. Note that if you pull the boat out of the water you will need to prime the A/C pump. This can be a fairly easy task. The generator seems to be able to prime itself but not the A/C.

We are into our 8th season coming up with the 348 and so far no real problems other than having both shafts break a year apart.

safe boating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 pm 
wkearney99

marylander wrote:
Note that if you pull the boat out of the water you will need to prime the A/C pump. This can be a fairly easy task. The generator seems to be able to prime itself but not the A/C.

The AC will prime itself the first time you take the boat out for a trip. It seems the pressure of the water moving under the boat pushes up enough to prime the AC line. If you just close the sea cock you won't lose prime. But if you close it and then try to start the AC it usually loses prime.