www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm 
Guppy

Hi Guys, came across this board while searching for parts. Recently took up the task of bringing a 1995 258 vista back to life that was sitting for more than 5 years. Just completely rebuilt the motor and put in a new gas tank. This Saturday she will hit the water for a test run, if all goes well she will be waxed and repainted next. I will try to get some photos up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome Aboard! and Congratulations

I hope all goes well on your maiden voyage. I am looking at a very similar project in the spring on my 93 245. What drive train do you have? Did you rebuild your existing motor or just replace it with a refurbished unit?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:51 pm 
Guppy

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Welcome Aboard! and Congratulations

I hope all goes well on your maiden voyage. I am looking at a very similar project in the spring on my 93 245. What drive train do you have? Did you rebuild your existing motor or just replace it with a refurbished unit?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I had a local mechanic rebuild it, it's a Volvo Penta 5.8l, I thought it was just minor work but it wasn't. Now I am looking for the stern lounge seat, since it was sitting so long somebody stole it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:10 pm 
Guppy

Well after getting the boat out to the beach and about to go for our first ride the motor fired right up but the steering wheel/column was jammed. Another part to order and fix so we will try again next weekend. Disappointed because today she was scheduled to be picked up Monday for a wax and paint.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm 

Sorry to hear about the steering problems. Take all these little problems with a grain of salt. It's better to have 100% confidence in your boat then venture out and have a mechanical failure. The ensuing panic will sour your family and your boating experience could be over before it starts.

what did the mechanic have to do to your motor? ie. What was wrong with it.

So far I have concluded that my 5.8 is junk. A cylinder is seized (bad head gasket?), the starter is NFG and the oil pan needs replacing. I will be looking for a remanufactured motor!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm 
Guppy

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Sorry to hear about the steering problems. Take all these little problems with a grain of salt. It's better to have 100% confidence in your boat then venture out and have a mechanical failure. The ensuing panic will sour your family and your boating experience could be over before it starts.

what did the mechanic have to do to your motor? ie. What was wrong with it.

So far I have concluded that my 5.8 is junk. A cylinder is seized (bad head gasket?), the starter is NFG and the oil pan needs replacing. I will be looking for a remanufactured motor!

The drain in the engine compartment was not removed, since the boat was sitting basically abandoned the engine area was full of water for a very long time. We tried to get her to run but everything had to be rebuilt. Today I spent the afternoon looking at fabrics to make all the seats and cushions brand new. I wasn't expecting the dryfast foam to be so expensive but was able to search online, found a lot better price than local.

The mechanic was able to fix the steering, won't be able to test her out this weekend but will do so next week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 pm 
Guppy

We finally hit the ocean yesterday and she is running great. Starting the break-in of motor, ran her two hours never going past 2200 rpms. Still have about 8-10 hrs to go before turning up the power. The motor sounded great, not even missing a beat. Plans are to use her again next Saturday then start the rehab of the interior and exterior.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:35 am 

Glad to see you got her in the water!
Opinions on break-in methods vary from "drive it like you stole it " to " baby her"...Follow your engine refurbishersrecommendations since he is the one that you'll have to answer to if something does go bad.

Try and get us some pictures!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop