www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:26 pm 
Shark

Prior to getting our 328 last year, we had a Chaparral 29 and on that boat the galley sink drain went directly over board. Four Winns and others like Regal commonly run the drain to the shower sump which then pumps the contents overboard. The problem with this arrangement is that after the pump shuts off, some food particles remain in the sump and mold grows when the boat sits a while. The mold prevents the float from rasining up next time water flows into the sump and then the sump over flows, backing up into the AC drain pan, food particles, soap and all, since the AC is connected to the same sump along with the shower drain. When the AC pan is totally full, it over flows on the floor and saturates the carpet. :(

This happened 2 or 3 times to us in the first year of use so I put a new SS thru hull in and directly connected the drain. There have been absolutely no problems with this solution and I've never had to clean the sump again! In fact the water was completely pristine. Does anyone know why FW's and others run the drain to the sump... doesn't make any sense to me!

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Probably cheaper to do it that way. That is very weird though. My 04 248 dumps overboard.
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:42 am 
Andiamo

Maybe FourWinns fixed that in '04, because like Brian, my '04 Vista galley sink drains directly overboard also. I'll have to check out how this works on the new models at the NY show next week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:45 am 
Mental Floss

Ditto on my 2004 Vista 288 and the same on my old 2000 248 Vista. I'd call customer service @ FW and ask. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to plumb it to the sump.

The only reason I could see is that the boat has a "gray" water system installed. A gray water system is a requirement for areas like Canada that don't allow gray water overboard

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:09 pm 
Andiamo

I believe jvalich is correct. It's funny, I was thinking about it after I posted this morning on my way into the office, and I was thinking that what you described might be part of a grey water system.

BTW, Happy New Year to All!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:22 pm 
268 Vista

My 2000 268 pumps the galley sink water overboard as well.

Please let us know if all 328's are designed to be that way, or yours has been modified for some reason. The 328 is on our short list for the next boat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:28 pm 
Mental Floss

Okay, I looked at the plumbing diagram in my owner's manual that covers the 328 and 348 as well. The detail for the sump for the 328 and the 348 (at least for 2004) shows the galley sink emptying into the sump :? The sink in the head is directly overboard. The head sink appears to ne at a higher point as well.

Look at the water line of the boat and the level of the sink. There may not be enough drop for the sink to properly drain or the through hull may be too close oe below the water line to properly function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:57 am 
Dolphin

My 348 drains into the shower sump as well. Ironically, the bathroom sink drains out a thru hull...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:01 am 
wkearney99

Yeah, I noticed an odd smell in our 348. Clearing the sump seemed to eliminate it. I now remember to run a whole BUNCH of water down the galley sink and shower drains whenever we leave the boat for the week. Is there a macerator involved with the galley sink?

I can't imagine it would be an easy task trying to re-route the drain from the galley sink. But if/when I ever had to get under that sink area I'd definitely consider it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:42 pm 
Shark

Interesting to see that many Vistas do discharge directly over board. I suspect jvalich is right when he says it's probably related to the amount of drop from the sink to the water level. I realized this when it came time to drill the hole for the new thru hull fitting. You obviously want to have the fitting above the waterline but also have as much drop as possible to allow for good drainage. I ended up with no more than 6" drop from the bottom of the sink to the thru hull but that has been plenty for good drainage. I also made sure not to locate the thru hull lower than the other thru hulls. I will make sure to closely inspect the next boat we buy to see how this is handled. With the drain-to-sump set up on this boat, it was very annoying and unreliable.

Has anyone else with the sink-to-sump set up had problems? (assuming you use the sink!)

2013 Sea Doo RXT-260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:23 pm 
Mental Floss

Bill:

Copy the thread and sent it to Four Winns customer service. They would be greatful. It's little details like that they rely on us to find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

My 99 258 had the same problem with the sinkin the head. I installed a thru hull and discharged it overboard. The galley sink drains overboard. The shower sump is a pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:36 am 
wkearney99

What also bugs me about the drain setup is that the shower drains are on the outside, starboard side of the head floor. Which, of course, is not where the last bits of water tend too pool up. So I have to run a squeegee to chase that water over to the drains. And while there's a door to the shower the floor isn't separated between it and the sink. So much for two people using the head, unless the one at the sink also wants wet feet.

And apparently there's a known problem with the bottom sill to the head door. It tends to shift such that the vinyl outer wall covering and foam bunches up and puffs out under the wood sill. But all things considered my winter list of issues for the dealer to fix is mostly pretty trivial stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:32 pm 
Dolphin

wkearney99 wrote:
What also bugs me about the drain setup is that the shower drains are on the outside, starboard side of the head floor. Which, of course, is not where the last bits of water tend too pool up. So I have to run a squeegee to chase that water over to the drains. And while there's a door to the shower the floor isn't separated between it and the sink. So much for two people using the head, unless the one at the sink also wants wet feet.

And apparently there's a known problem with the bottom sill to the head door. It tends to shift such that the vinyl outer wall covering and foam bunches up and puffs out under the wood sill. But all things considered my winter list of issues for the dealer to fix is mostly pretty trivial stuff.

Funny. My drains are on the inside - port side of the shower. Work pretty well really. I agree about the floor getting wet, but so far it hasn't been a big deal. At least the folding door prevents the vanity from getting wet.

Haven't seen the vinyl bunching.