www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering a Vista
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

For those of you that trailer your smaller vistas (248-268), what do you tow it with? How well does it work? Any problems or issues?

I am looking to move up from my sundowner to a small vista and was curious about towing.

Thanks,

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:54 am 
Andiamo

Woggy, I am not sure about the 248Vista, but depending on how far you will be trailering, the 268Vista on a trailer weighs approx 9,000lbs with fuel gear and water. For that I would recommend a 3/4 ton tow vehicle appropriately equipped with a 10,000lb tow rating. That was the reason I did not get a trailer with the 268Vista. I had a Chevy Tahoe, and it really was not equipped for that kind of weight. Also, I am not a big fan of the 4 Winns bunk style trailers. If I did get a trailer for my 268Vista, I would look into something like an EZ Loader all roller trailer. Meanwhile, the 248Vista is a great boat, and if you find one that meets your needs I am sure you will be happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 am 
Seahorse

I have a 268 Vista, per public scales and partially full tanks weighs 9900 lbs. . I can tow it comfortably with a Yukon XL 3/4 ton. I previously had a 238 Vista and tried towing it with a standard Yukon. Very uncomfortable. The XL 3/4 did a much better job.

Giacomo, I am very happy with the FW trailers, having had 3 FW, all on FW trailers. I find they center very well and tow well. What is it you have noted that is not well, besides bunks. Down here in Florida, bunks work better that rollers due to the salt water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:42 am 
Minnow

I'm towing a 245 Vista with a '03 GMC Yukon Denali. The rear suspension has self leveling air system that works great to keep the truck riding level and the 6.0 has plenty of power.

Last edited by Cousin Eddie on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:15 pm 
Andiamo

Hi Gary. You make a good point about where you intend to use it. I had the Four Winns trailer with my 215 Sundowner which I owned for 10 years. I used it mostly in fresh water for the 1st 8 years and then on the Hudson River the last 2 years before trading on the 268Vista. The salt water was never a factor for me, even in the Hudson where it is more brackish than salt, but most of the ramps where I am were pretty crappy and broken up and the trailer wheels were usually in the gravel or in a hole at the end of a ramp and was rarely level. With the bunk trailer it was difficult to bring the boat up so that it sat level on the trailer. Prior to the Sundowner I had an EZ Loader trailer for a 23'Cuddy and it was a piece of cake to load or launch the boat regardless of ramp conditions. When I was fortunate enough to find a good ramp, the Four Winns trailer was fine. Also, I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some swear by the bunk trailers and some swear by the roller trailers. My personal preference is the all roller trailer, but honestly I never had a problem in the 10 years I owned the Sundowner w/ the Four Winns trailer.

Post subject: trailering a vista
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:46 pm 
Starfish

Greetings from the desert in snowy eastern Oregon.

I want to add a few thoughts on trailering your Vista. First, consider the terrain through which you will be towing your Vista. From my house to the Columbia River is relatively flat and thus I could probably use a tow vehicle that may not have quite the tow capacity I would need. However, between my house and Puget Sound I go across several passes that are more than 5,000 ft tall with corresponding grades, both up and down. Uphill grades stress the engine and tranny and downhill grades stress the brakes (and engine, if using it for braking). Sooo, you are taking an increased risk of damaging your tow vehicle if your tow capacity is inadequate. AND you increase the risk of not being able to stop if needed. Be sure that you have brakes on all four wheels. I have a Maxum 2300 with four wheel brakes while my FW258 Vista has only two wheel brakes - adequate but I have pondered upgrading.

Finally, there is a moral/ethical/legal issue to consider. If you exced the rated tow capacity of your tow vehicle you certainly increase your liability should you cause an accident that can be related to the tow capacity of the vehicle. How would you feel if your inability to stop quickly because of an inadequate tow capacity caused the injury or death of a small child, perhaps even yours. I do not mean to be 'preachy' or self-righteous but we should always consider the possible adverse ramifications of our decisions.

Good luck with your decision-making process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:05 pm 
Dolphin

I tow my 268 with an 04' F-150. rated for 9900lbs. It works good for me but I only have to two it 10 minutes on a regular basis. Once a year I pull it about 200 miles and back. I am able to go and stop without difficulity. Am I pushing the limits, sure. that just means I ned to take percautions, like any other time you are towing something. You will hear a variety of opinions on this. You should consider how far, often and what terrain you are going to be towing over when making your decision.

When you looking to buy, I might have a boat for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:14 pm 

Choices II wrote:
When you looking to buy, I might have a boat for you.

I just purchased a 2002 248 Vista last weekend. I can't wait for boating season now. (and I can't wait to sell my sundowner)

Post subject: trailer 258
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 am 
Tadpole

I trailer a 258 with an 04 silverado, 4x4, ext cab, 5.3. I used to have a short box,reg cab and the ext cab handles better. Also have brakes on all trailer axles which definitely helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:59 pm 
Dolphin

I tow my 248 Vista with my 05 F150. It's equipped with a 5.4L engine, limited slip 3.73 axle and it's a 4 X 4. It does a fine job,no problems whatsovever. The 248 Vista with a full tank of fuel,Four Winns factory trailer and gear weighs 8100lbs.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:04 am 
Mental Floss

Congrats on the 248. We owned a 2000 before we moved up to the 288. Great boat. It's the best out there regarding cabin design and space in that size range.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:28 pm 

I definatley agree. When we decided to move up to a cruiser, I figured I would check out most of the other major brands. We looked at Sea Ray, Rinker, Regal, Chapparal, Larson, Monteray. For the $$$, you can not find a better, more asthetic boat, than the 248 Vista. I just wish it would warm up a tick so we could get it ready!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:20 pm 
AGE < LOA

Ill be pulliing a 248 with my new CTD Mega Cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
Clownfish

We trailer a 1997 238 Vista with a 99 GMC Suburban 2500 4X4 SLT loaded with a 6.5 Diesel. You don't even know its back there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 am 

Well, we picked up our new Vista this weekend. I must admit, the daunting task at hand made me a little nevous at first. I towed it 250 miles with a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. Surprisingly it towed great. We never went of 60 and towed it right on down the interstate. The boat and trailer empty weigh 7400 lbs and it did have a full tank of fuel. So my approx weight was around 8000 lbs. My vehicle is only rated for 7400 lbs. We just kept it out of overdrive and used our tow button and away we went. The trailer has disc breaks and actually stops better than my old 1996 225 sundowner. Actually, all in all, it towed better than my sundowner did all the way around. I was atonished. The only thing that was difficult was acceleration, but I wasn't in a huge hurry, so that was fine. The only negative thing was the 9.0 mpg that we got.