www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tow ring
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:36 pm 
Goldfish

Has anyone installed a ski tow ring on their Vista? I'm thinking about putting one on my '99 258 but am a little leary at this point. I contacted Four Winns and they said it's possible, provided I use an appropriate backing plate such as wood or aluminum, and install the ring low on the transom. The fibreglass here seems rather thin and even with a backing plate across the entire transom, I'd want to be sure before I drill holes.

My intended use is for a quick hook up for towing the kids on the tube (rather than using a harness attached to the tow rings under the extended swim platform).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:54 pm 
Andiamo

TSR, I know exactly what you mean. That is probably the only real dissapointment for me with my 268Vista. There really is no good place for a ski tow ring! The dealer would not even attempt to install one because of possible liability. We still do a fair amount of waterskiing and tubing and I wound up hooking up a Y type harness to the lift rings under the swim platform as you mentioned and leaving them there for the season. When not in use I hook it under the swim platform (I put a small ring thru the swim platform ladder well) and when we want to pull a tube or skiier we just disconnect it from the small eye under the swim platform and hook the ski tow rope to the harness. It is not as convenient as a tow ring, but it works without me having to go for a swim to hook the thing up. I would be interested to hear if anyone has come up with something better for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 am 
268 Vista

We have hooked up a Y harness to the stern cleats and pulled tubes behind our 268 several times. I didn'nt feel comfortable with one attached below the ESP. Plus, hooked to the cleats , it's easy on easy off.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 pm 
Andiamo

Cap'n, I have been tempted to do that also, and it is probably O/K, but those cleats are really not made for that kind of a pull, and the dealer said they would absolutely advise against attaching a skitow rope to the cleats. I decided to play it safe, because it is just not worth somebody getting hurt! If one of those cleats breaks loose while you are pulling a skiier or a tuber, watch out, because the backlash could wind up putting one of those cleats right thru somebody's face. It just is not worth the risk to me. Be careful, Cap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 pm 
268 Vista

I agree, but we have only done it twice. I figured if my boat can be towed by the cleats, it will be strong enough to tow a tube and my 88 lb. daughter down the lake once in a while. Don't worry, we don't use the tube for much more than floating, and transporting chairs, grills,towels and coolers from the boat to the beach. It is a rare occasion to pull a tube for us.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm 
Andiamo

I hear you! Now pulling a big fat old guy like me up on one ski, now that's a bit too much for those poor cleats! I still do manage to get a few runs in though! Take Care!