www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooking up Sat radio
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 pm 
Dolphin

Hello all, well we splash our first boat in 2 weeks ( can't wait ). Was wandering if there is a way to hook a portable sat radio through the system. To my surprise it looks like the factory Clarion CD player does not have a Aux port, I realize I can go through a non active radio station but find the quality suffers. Our boat has a Sat radio option I was looking to go cheap as I already have 4 fixed Sat subscription and was looking to not have a 5th at least until we see how much time we get to spend on her. I have access to a portable one from our work as a demo so would like to try that.
Has anyone hooked up a portable sat radio and if so please let me know where, please excuse me if this is a question I should know the answer as this is a completely new experience for us.
Thanks in advance.

5.7 Volvo I/O

Post subject: Re: Hooking up Sat radio
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm 
wkearney99

You don't mention which model radio is installed. It matters as some do and some don't have AUX inputs. With ones that don't you've got options like using a FM modulator. The fidelity provided by most of the is more than adequate for the arguably poor acoustics presented in a boat. Also consider that ebay is a fine place to find a different model of the clarion radio; one with an aux input perhaps.

I've got the Sirius module and really do prefer being able to control it from the remotes. I don't like that the remote only has three sets of 15 presets. You can't scroll up/down channel numbers. I believe my radio is a CMD3.

I would also prefer a portable sat radio but would want one that integrated with the remotes. Seeing as how that would deprive them of selling me another radio and charging me for a subscription I'm not holding out a lot of hope for such a thing to be developed...

I actually looked into the possibility of making a black box that would let me use the remotes. Turns out Clarion goes out of their way to encrypt and otherwise obfuscate the protocol they use on the wires. So much for that idea. If I had to replace the radio I'd give serious consideration to replacing the whole shebang with another brand, one that offered better usability. But seeing as how mine ain't broke, it's staying... for now.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:09 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks Bill I was hoping you would chime in. According to the manual I believe the radio is a Clarion XMD3 not sure if this is the model number or not.
I agree with your reason for wanting the subscription, just not sure if I feel like subscribing just to have a menu. Can one go in through the aux ports on the DVD and get sound, thinking out load that may work but I guess one would still not get the menu.
Not sure but I think you answered that I will need to figure it out as I doubt my system has a aux port.

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 am 
wkearney99

terryd wrote:
Thanks Bill I was hoping you would chime in. According to the manual I believe the radio is a Clarion XMD3 not sure if this is the model number or not. I agree with your reason for wanting the subscription, just not sure if I feel like subscribing just to have a menu. Can one go in through the aux ports on the DVD and get sound, thinking out load that may work but I guess one would still not get the menu.
Not sure but I think you answered that I will need to figure it out as I doubt my system has a aux port.

Yeah, the model number will answer a lot.

When you talk of DVD aux, where is your DVD audio coming out? Through the TV or through the same speakers as the radio? I ask this because I rigged up my DVD to play through my Clarion CMD3. I then noticed my DVD also had an AUX input. It passes audio through itself when the video isn't playing (even when the player is off). So I used that input for my mp3 player (which never ends up getting used).

You still have the choice to use an FM modulator. Like I said, any concerns about the quality of the audio are pretty pointless when you're playing back to the open spaces of a boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 am 
french 829

I have that same factory head unit. There is an aux input on the back. You have to pull out the unit and plug in a standard RCA cord with a 3.5 mini plug input on the other end. Poly Planar sells the cord (http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Planar-IC-3-5PM-Portable-player-adapter/dp/B0015FW6GK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1272979376&sr=8-2)--but there are several different makers. Probably will cost you around $15 or so.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:14 am 
Dolphin

Not sure if this helps, but I think sirius is having a special right now. I just called them to order it this weekend for my 268 and it was free for six months for new subscribers. Maybe you can put it in your wife/girlfriends/parents name and have a free subscription for the summer? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm 
Dolphin

french829 wrote:
I have that same factory head unit. There is an aux input on the back. You have to pull out the unit and plug in a standard RCA cord with a 3.5 mini plug input on the other end. Poly Planar sells the cord (http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Planar-IC-3-5PM-Portable-player-adapter/dp/B0015FW6GK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1272979376&sr=8-2)--but there are several different makers. Probably will cost you around $15 or so.

Thanks french829 I will take a look at that.

5.7 Volvo I/O

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 pm 
Dolphin

offdahook wrote:
Not sure if this helps, but I think sirius is having a special right now. I just called them to order it this weekend for my 268 and it was free for six months for new subscribers. Maybe you can put it in your wife/girlfriends/parents name and have a free subscription for the summer? :P

Thanks but up in Canada we have to use a different Sirius program, will keep it in mind incase some of the other sugestions don't pan out.

5.7 Volvo I/O