www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I currently have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71. It has a transmission cooler on it. I am looking at POSSIBLY purchasing a 268 Vista. (Total approx weight with trailer and gear 9000 lbs). The vehicle is rated for 7400 lbs. For those of you who trailer your vista, would you trailer it with a Tahoe?

Thanks

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:13 pm 
Dolphin

I pull my 268 With an 04 F-150 without much trouble. I am not going to set any speed recprds but it does just fine and have been doing it for a couple years. It is not just the pulling thoughm you have to be able to manuver and stop as well. You are going to get all kinds of suggestions on if you can or can't with your truck. How far/often are you going to pull it and what type of roade are you going to be pulling it on need to be considered also.

Also, I am POSSIBALLY going to be selling a 268. What are you looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:17 pm 

Choices II wrote:
I pull my 268 With an 04 F-150 without much trouble. I am not going to set any speed recprds but it does just fine and have been doing it for a couple years. It is not just the pulling thoughm you have to be able to manuver and stop as well. You are going to get all kinds of suggestions on if you can or can't with your truck. How far/often are you going to pull it and what type of roade are you going to be pulling it on need to be considered also.

Also, I am POSSIBALLY going to be selling a 268. What are you looking for?

I almost always trailer it 100 miles each time. I know I won't be setting any speed records, but I figure if I stay around 60 mph and keep in in 3rd gear, with no cruise, I THINK i should be allright. In regards to what I am looking for, 248 or 268 with at a minimum of 5.7GXI duoprop. Would like air cond. but not mandatory. Color doesn't really matter, but GPS would be nice. ummm... other than that, I'd just have to see pics of it.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:00 pm 
Dolphin

What is your e-mail. I will send you all the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:38 pm 
Dolphin

You have mail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 am 
Seahorse

Been there, done that. I pulled a 238 Vista with a GMC Denali. The short wheelbase make it a white knuckle trip at any speed greater than 50 MPH.

I then bought a Yukon XL 2500 (3/4 ton) and it made a world of difference. Then I upgraded to a 268 and found that this did the job properly.

By the way, my 268 weighted in at 9900 lbs with partial fuel and water on a FW trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:04 am 

glmarker wrote:
Been there, done that. I pulled a 238 Vista with a GMC Denali. The short wheelbase make it a white knuckle trip at any speed greater than 50 MPH.

What made it so bad?

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:14 pm 
Shark

What I'd worry about most is the standard automatic in the half ton chassis. It's not made to haul that kind of load those distances. It'll do it for a while, but be prepared to rebuild the tranny much sooner. The HD trucks have a much heavier duty tranny. I've seen it described this way: The standard 4-speed auto is basically a turbo 350 with another gear. The HD tranny is basically a turbo 400 with an added gear.
If you dont keep your truck past warranty, it won't matter :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:06 pm 

JW wrote:
What I'd worry about most is the standard automatic in the half ton chassis. It's not made to haul that kind of load those distances. It'll do it for a while, but be prepared to rebuild the tranny much sooner. The HD trucks have a much heavier duty tranny. :D

In speaking with an AAMCO transmission shop owner, he said the only risk I run is prematurely wearing out the 3rd gear clutch. But he also said that it doesn't get used that much anyways, so basically, I am more evenly wearing the transmission. As far as having to rebuild/replace it, I figure that's cheaper than a new truck. :twisted:

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:52 pm 
Seahorse

Woggy,

The short wheel base of the Denali (same as your Tahoe I beleive) contributed to a "squirelly" feeling. It was not too bad around town (under 50 MPH) but on the highway at 60 or greater, it was a handful to drive. Suggest you try towing the boat before you purchase it. My wife quickly said she wasn't going anywhere towing the boat, unless we got a suitable towing vehicle.

Personally, I feel you would be way overloaded, because after you add gear, people, etc, you will quickly be pushing 10K (plus, probably) with a vehicle that can SAFELY pull less than 7400.

I now have a 3/4 T Yukon XL with the 8.1 motor, towing package, 4:10 rear gears, etc. I know the boat is bck there, but I (and my wife) are much mnore comfortable while towing.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:58 pm 

We had a 268. There is no way I would pull it with a 1/2 ton. I did it once with my truck. It was fine like every one said around town. But on the highway it was a hand full. We usually towed it with our friends 350 dully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am 
Mental Floss

Hands down, a Vista 268 is too much boat for the truck you have.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:18 pm 
Starfish

I understand your reluctance to have buy a new tow rig just after spending many $$ on a new boat. However, there are several issues that come into play when considering if you want to exceed the manufacturers towing capacity rating. First, what is the terrain and weather you will be encountering. I tow my FW258 from 1,100 ft to more than 5,000 ft elevation and down to sea level and I would recommend not exceed the tow rating under these conditions. I would be tempted to exceed the rating if I were towing on relatively flat roads. Will it be hot? If so, that places extra stress on the tranny and I would absolutely install the best tranny cooler I could find. Second, do you have a 4-wheel drive or 2-wheel drive? Getting the boat up the ramp will be a real challenge with a 2 wheel drive due to both slipping and the need for a real low first gear. I currently have a 4-wheel drive diesel Excursion and it grunts in 4-wheel hihg on steep ramps but easily pulls the boat up in 4-wheel low. Others have pointed out that the longer wheelbase is very nice to minimize sway. Be absolutely sure the trailer brakes are in top shape as you will also need to stop. My FW trailer has brakes on only one axle and I would recommend brakes on both axles if I were going to exceed the tow rating.

Finally, consider the possible legal and moral issues in addition to the issues about tranny life, etc. What if you are involved in an accident that injures or (God forbid) kills a youngster because you were unable to control the rig, brakes were inadequate, etc. You would be hanging out in the wind PLUS have to live with knowledge that you were responsible for an avoidable accident. I don't mean to preach but we should always consider the impact of our actions on ohters, even if unintentional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:21 pm 

Well, I decided against a 268 Vista. It's just way to much boat for my tow vehicle. I am going to get a 248 vista. Empty it comes in right at my vehcile tow rating. I live in Indiana and our idea of a hill is a bad speed bump (where I live). So most of my towing is going to be on flat ground. It does have 4x4 so that should help as well. I obviously will make sure the breaks are in tip top shape.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 am 
Dolphin

Good move. It's always better to not be towing and wish you were than vice versa.