www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:17 pm 
Tadpole

I have a vaccuflush system on our 288 and this weekend we filled up the holding tank for the first time. There was water in the toilet that wouldnt go down when I realized it was full. I pumped it out and went to flush the toilet and nothing happened. The water did not move. Clogged? Any ideas? I am new at this but handy if I had an idea of what to look for. Thanks in advance
gull@play

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Not to overstate the obvious but did you turn it on? There should be a rocker switch that needs to be turned on to power the pump?

2008 Four Winns V248
2004 Stingray 220CS

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm 

Given the make of your boat (288 Vista), I would assume that it is not too old so I doubt you have a system failure. Check by the main battery switch that is in the cockpit (the one that has big knobs that says 1, both or 2). On my 298 Vista, there are two levers off to the side (switches) that I on occasion accidently turn off and they will either shut down my entire system or windlass. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm 
Tadpole

I appreciate the replies but yes, I checked to make sure that the ship systems were on. All breakers were on. The water would pump in but when I pressed the lever to let the water out of the tank it went nowhere. I turned on the flush switch and nothing happened. Is there a shut off of some sort that triggers the flush system when your tank gets full. I'll check the fuses when I get back to the boat. Everything was on that needed to be on for the system to work. Any other ideas would be appreciated

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 pm 

When I bought mine, the tank was overflown and the owner was not aware. The vacuflush still worked even though the waste was getting push backed up the hose back into the vacuflush. Have you tried opening the hatch and listening to see if the vacuflush is making any noise?

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 pm 
Shark

I would think if the tank was so full that it backed into the bowl, it would have exited the vent first. If it got into the vent it's possible that it is now plugged. Did you actually look at your waste tank after pumping out? If the vent is plugged you may still have a full tank. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am 

I had a problem like that. Mine was a Clogged at the 90 going into the pump. Mine did not make a noise when I would try it.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:47 pm 

1) open the engine hatch and listen for the pump
2a) The pump is not running because it has no power - check that the switches and breakers are on. Or more rare check the vacuum switch and the wiring.
2b) The pump is not running because it has a good vacuum but the vacuum is not getting to the ball - step on the pedal and check for a clog in the bottom of bowl. Use a screw driver or similar thing and poke around and check for blockage. Go to the pump and dis-connect the hose comming from toliet. If the pump starts the clog is in the hose or the vacuum chamber.
3a) The pump is running but not pumping any air/liquid because the duckbills are clogged - disassemble the pump and clean/replace the duckbills.
3b) The pump is running but not pumping any air/liquid because the hose to holding tank is blocked. Disconnect the hose from the pump and clear the clog.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
Guppy

i had a similar problem on the vacuflush on my 298 vista. found the 90 degree turn in the waste line directly behind the head had kinked. i forced it to open more by using a hose clamp so i could complete the flush, then cut that part out and installed a plastic 90 degree elbow. no more problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm 
Clownfish

I have the same problem with my toilet.

Pump does not run. Water and junk won't go away in the bowl.

I used a volt meter and tested the connector that feeds power to the black motor on the top of the vacuum system. Nothing. No juice at all. I check the 12v push button breaker and it didn't pop. All the wiring looked fine behind the panel and at the vacuum pump system.

Question: does the voltage to the pump get triggered by another switch? Like a pressure switch? it doesn't make sense to have voltage at the pump unless it needs to run. that has to get triggered by the lack of vacuum in the tank.... right?

After reading a ton of posts on this board, I am convinced i have a blockage between the bowl and the vacuum system.

My Theory: pump is good and i have plenty of built up vacuum. if the line is blocked, there is no drop in vacuum pressure, so the pump doesn't run.

I guess i'll attack the bowl with a plunger and see if anything breaks free. If that doesn't do the trick, I will crawl down there and figure out how to bleed out vacuum pressure to see if the pump turns on. If the pump turns on, I guess i'm going to have to open up the entire system and manually unblock it. yuk.

thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 pm 

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9718

Lots of good info here

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 pm 

Sounds like quite the problem to troubleshoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
Shark

blue dragon wrote:
Sounds like quite the problem to troubleshoot

Not a fun one probably,

Last edited by afw200 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 pm 
Clownfish

Found this in my owners briefcase full of manuals on the boat.

"Run appropriate size wire from power source to vacuum switch."

Then. . .

"Run a wire from the other B terminal to red power wire on vacuum pump".

Seems like my theory may be correct. This vacuum switch will throw power to the pump motor.

I need to figure out where the hot wire is on that switch to verify that the power is leaving my breaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm 
Clownfish

jsimon wrote:

Yep. Read that post earlier. I will attack with a plunger tomorrow and give the liquid soap a go. I hate that someone replaced almost the entire system only to find that liquid soap made it work!