www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Howdy folks,

I have nice stainless steel cleats on the swim platform that my EU2000i straps to when on the hook for the weekend. Problem is, it's not a whole heck of a lot of fun to step over it when swimming and then getting on and off the boat.

So, I saw where someone had mounted their portable genset on the bow / deck. Here are the cleats I was planning to use:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10392

Couple of questions:

1) Are these cleats (aluminum) strong enough?
2) I have been noticing some cracked gelcoat here and there on the ole girl. Will the vibration cause more?

Thanks,
Craig C.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:05 pm 

I had that generator too, when I owned my cruiser. I would be afraid to have it on the bow running while on the hook. The prevailing winds will blow the exhaust (carbon monoxide) right into your living space. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Plus it causes TONS of annoying vibration when running on the deck (tried it, didn't like it at all).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 am 
wkearney99

That and consider the wave action when under way. The bow of the boat tends to move around a lot more than the stern. I wouldn't want to lash something heavy down on the bow and risk having it come loose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am 

wkearney99 wrote:
That and consider the wave action when under way. The bow of the boat tends to move around a lot more than the stern. I wouldn't want to lash something heavy down on the bow and risk having it come loose.

Gentlemen,

I understand all of the concerns about portable generators. I have read and participated in those arguments. :-)

My question, and perhaps I should have been clearer, is about putting the generator on the deck when we are swimming (anchored) ... not sleeping, not hanging out in the cabin. When we are cabin-bound, the generator is strapped down to the swim platform. When underway, I stow it between the table pedestal and the side seat (unless it's hot, then I leave it strapped to the swim deck).

The vibration concerns me not because of the noise, but the potential damage (stress cracks, etc) and also the cleats that I posted. I wasn't sure if powder coated aluminum would be able to withstand the vibration either.

Thanks,
Craig C.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am 
wkearney99

mcraigchr wrote:
My question, and perhaps I should have been clearer, is about putting the generator on the deck when we are swimming (anchored) ... not sleeping, not hanging out in the cabin.

The vibration concerns me not because of the noise, but the potential damage (stress cracks, etc) and also the cleats that I posted. I wasn't sure if powder coated aluminum would be able to withstand the vibration either.

Ah, well, that makes a big difference. When merely resting at anchor I wouldn't think there'd be much risk of anything getting too beat up. If it's running then perhaps a vibration damping pad under the unit, or at least some sort of mat, would serve to smooth things out a bit directly under it. Maybe a strip of rubber between the straps and the cleats. Unless you're really tightening them down the straps aren't going to translate all that much vibration to the cleats, some to be sure, but enough to worry about? I wouldn't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am 
Dolphin

I have only had mine a short time and did run it up there one afternoon just to see how bad it was. I put 2 pieces of leftover memory foam stacked under it and just used a ratchet strap from the 2 bow cleats. There was definitely vibrations, but I don't think enough to do any damage. I read somewhere that the best way to dampen the vibration is to put the genny on a large thick piece of plywood sitting on a foam dampener. Can't bring myself to try it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm 
Dolphin

I have a honda on the back. I have used it this way for about 3 yrs now. the only concern i have had is stopping when i am on plane, the water will wash over the swim platform. since then i place the gen in a black trash bag, then strap it down.

to combat the vibration, i lust loosen the strap a little and open the swim ladder door. the door is what vibrates the most.

the only thing i have not been brave enough to do is trailer it this way, just too afraid of it falling off and hitting someone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:56 am 
Whatever

If only moving to bow to free up swimdeck space, why tie down???

I have moved ours up there, or anywhere on boat, but if not underway, do you really want to add cleats to tie down?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:00 am 
All Night Long

I would think that if you can really secure a couple of those cleats on the bow, there would be other uses for them... the genny storage area is a good one, but could easily use it to strap down other things like a cooler. Basically, a good way to free up space from the cockpit or swim platform.

I don't think running that genny on the bow is going to hurt anything - just as long as you can handle the vibration inside the cabin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:44 pm 

powellcrazy wrote:
If only moving to bow to free up swimdeck space, why tie down???

I have moved ours up there, or anywhere on boat, but if not underway, do you really want to add cleats to tie down?

Genny would be running ... keeping the cabin cool (A/C).

Craig C.