www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:18 pm 
Guppy

Hello all! I ran into strange problem with my 2000 268 Vista (7.4 Volvo DP) during my last trip of the season. It left my mechanic scratching his head and me looking for a new shop to service my boat. I had just motored under shade-cliff to "bob" around while eating lunch. I reached down and switched off the ignition...nothing. :?: The engine continued to idle. I cycled the switch several times with the same results. I decided to head for open water and home. While cruising, I bumped the throttle up to nearly wide open. When I did that, the engine started to miss, kind of like it was starving for fuel at a high RPM. I glanced down and noticed that I had left the ignition switch in the off position. As soon as I switched it to the on position, the engine ran just fine. Strange. Fearing bigger troubles, I quickly headed to the marina and trailered the boat. Only one problem, I couldn't turn off the engine. Gritting my teeth, I quickly engaged the starter and returned key to the off position. The engine sputtered to a stop. I suspected a bad ignition switch or a grounding issue. I pulled the boat home. I inspected the battery cables and connections; all looked perfect. I then replaced the ignition switch, started the engine and tried again. Yet again, the engine would not turn off. I called my mechanic. He came out and inspected the wiring under the dash, confirmed my new ignition switch installation, double checked the batteries and cables and told me he had no idea what the problem was. I said gee, thanks. He said ..."no problem, no charge for this one. Try a shop that specializes in electrical repairs and good luck!!..." Any ideas out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:05 am 
Mental Floss

On the left front of the motor you will see the main wiring harness coming into the engine (maybe located to the back top on the 7.4, can't remember). It should have a rubber boot with a hose clamp around it. Remove it, clean both the cable connections and engine connections well, firmly re-seat it and try again. If the harness connection has corrosion or is loose, etc. the engine will run squirrelly.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject: Found the problem!
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:29 pm 
Guppy

Had the boat de-winterized by a different mechanic. Took him just minutes to find the problem. Turns out that one of the wires connected to the alternator had “chaffed” through. He repaired the wire and the problem was resolved. :lol: Lesson learned? An experienced mechanic is worth the extra hourly expense. Can save you a wad in the long run.

By the way, thanks for the suggestion jvalich, I found that the hose clamp around the main wire harness connection was loose and almost coming disconnected!