www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TV antenna replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:06 pm 
Shark

Someone stole my TV antenna off my 2008 V358. They just disconnected the cable and unscrewed the disc. There is no name on the base so I don't know what model it was or whoo the manufacturer is. Since I have to replace it does anyone have any suggestions on something that will get better reception? the one that was there didn't get me very good reception to begin with. I think I only got like 2 or 3 stations and they were extremely fuzzy. I don't spend weekends on the boat in the marina where cable is available since we have a house 5 minutes from the marina so I don't waste the additional fee for the cable service. However when we are out on the hook I have tried to get some local channels with little luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

according to parts list on fourwinns.com the 2007 358 has a Seawatch 2020. Still no parts list for the 2008? The system includes the round antenna part plus the amplifier behind the TV. Defender has them for about $120. You might want to try and find an un-amplified antenna as a replacement, you likely still have the amplifier.

If you want I'll check mine this weekend and makes sure 2008's have the same part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:27 am 
All Night Long

I find that signal strength is better on my cabin TV than my cockpit TV. I also find that once settled in, sometimes I can turn the antenna bit and that will affect signal for some reason.

If you are going to get a new one, you might see if you can find one with an adjustable gain/amplifier. At least on our 318, there is an amplifier, but it's not adjustable outside of chooseing ac/dc power. I just keep mine on DC all the time - it always just works that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:17 am 
Sierra

If you do end up replacing the antenna with what you had, I can confirm it is the Shakespeare SeaWatch 2020-G.
You mentioned that reception was "fuzzy." Do you mean snowy? If so, that would suggest to me that there is a chance that you have not switched from broadcast TV to digital TV and there may still be a few live signals in your area (as you may know, digital TV is not fuzzy like broadcast TV when it's not coming in well - it either comes in clearly, there's digital distortion or no signal at all).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 am 
Shark

Thanks for the model number. Sierra how do you switch from broadcast to digital? does it require a new television? is there a switch somewhere? Last year I went to Atlantic City in the boat and when I connected cable I got no signal then I discovered a box with a switch to toggle between broadcast and Cable signals. When I was on broadcast the picture was snowy. I was getting signal just not very clear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:35 am 
Sierra

rberm wrote:
Thanks for the model number. Sierra how do you switch from broadcast to digital? does it require a new television? is there a switch somewhere? Last year I went to Atlantic City in the boat and when I connected cable I got no signal then I discovered a box with a switch to toggle between broadcast and Cable signals. When I was on broadcast the picture was snowy. I was getting signal just not very clear.

Assuming you still have the original Sole TV above the galley, here's what you need to do. Be sure the 'A/B' box mounted in the cabinet is toggled to the antenna input and that the box is getting power. There is a red LED that will be lit if it is. There is a small switch to toggle between AC and DC on that box. With the TV powered up, toggle the joystick on the TV down until 'DTV' is selected. You will then need to go into the menu using the remote and find the setting to be sure 'AIR,' not 'CABLE' is selected. Once you have made this change it should prompt you to scan for signals - or you can select that manually. Keep in mind that anytime the boat is moved, even within the same viewing area, you may need to re-scan. DTV is a bit finicky that way. It will also likely lock in channels during the scan that will later indicate they are out of range.

All of this is from memory as I am not on the boat, so you may have to toy around a bit. But essentially, you want to make sure the TV is set to the DTV input and AIR. If you have digital signals in your area you will be amazed by the quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am 
Sierra

Sierra wrote:
Be sure the 'A/B' box mounted in the cabinet is toggled to the antenna input and that the box is getting power. There is a red LED that will be lit if it is. There is a small switch to toggle between AC and DC on that box.

Clarification - it is the antenna amplifier box that gets the power, not the A/B switch. You may try scanning with and without power going to the amplifier to see what different results you get.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:21 pm 

I replaced mine with the Shakespeare seawatch 2030. It is a digital antenna that accepts HD signals as well. It also allows you to hook up your radio antenna to it. It has the powered amplifier which allows you to use both AC/DC power and the disc itself is pretty thin so it doesn't look too gaudy. I find it works very well but I am usually not too far from shore. I found it on Ebay brand new. There is a guy who sells alot of Shakespeare products on there. I think he is in Ohio. Out the door it was 129 with free shipping.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 pm 
Sierra

rberm - any antenna update? Did you have success pulling down any digital signals?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:06 pm 

We gave up on the off air TV. Only 1 digital channel in our area. Bought a ViewQube from E-Bay with a SD Directv receiver and am very happy.

Don't use it under way but great pictures at the dock.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:53 pm 

drballard33 wrote:
I replaced mine with the Shakespeare seawatch 2030. It is a digital antenna that accepts HD signals as well. It also allows you to hook up your radio antenna to it. It has the powered amplifier which allows you to use both AC/DC power and the disc itself is pretty thin so it doesn't look too gaudy. I find it works very well but I am usually not too far from shore. I found it on Ebay brand new. There is a guy who sells alot of Shakespeare products on there. I think he is in Ohio. Out the door it was 129 with free shipping.

Is this a simple swap? Same cable connections? I'm looking to do swap out ours for an HD antennae to get digital signals. I've toyed with replacing the TV, getting a converter box, but this seems the most logical.

"Swept Aweigh"
2003 Four Winns 328 Vista

Previous Boat
2003 Crownline 230CCR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Sierra

drballard33 wrote:
Is this a simple swap? Same cable connections? I'm looking to do swap out ours for an HD antennae to get digital signals. I've toyed with replacing the TV, getting a converter box, but this seems the most logical.

Your existing antenna will receive DTV. You need a TV with a digital tuner or the converter box with your existing TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:01 am 

That's correct, on a 2003 your antenna should be able to receive a digital signal but double check the model to make sure. In most cases it's the tv that can't accept the digital signal. On my 1999 I decided both needed updates.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:07 am 
Sierra

To be clear, any antenna that receives VHF and UHF signals will receive DTV signals as the signals lie within those spectrums. The rabbit ears on my mother's 25 year old set pull down signals flawlessly. There are some antennas marketed specifically as 'HDTV' antennas which perform best at receiving UHF signals; some of these models state that they provide reception of signals on channels 7-13 but actually perform less well receiving those channels. If you are replacing an antenna, do your research and beware of hype.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:12 pm 

Thanks for the info, looking for the path of least resistance. Get converter box or get hdtv..hhmmm.

"Swept Aweigh"
2003 Four Winns 328 Vista

Previous Boat
2003 Crownline 230CCR