www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:36 am 
Goldfish

Hi:

Congrats; we've got another 6 weeks before our 288 gets delivered. We just went through exactly that last season for our 268. I'm sure there are differing oppinions, but I use half inch nylon braided line. It's strong, coils and wears well. I use 3\8 inch for all the fenders. Currently I have 3X 25' and 6X 15' lines. This gives you a bow, stern and sping line for the dock, and lots of spare because you can't have too much.

Fenders are likely a personal choice but we use Taylor because they're guaranteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:46 am 
wkearney99

The number of lines will depend on how you store it. If you're keeping it in a slip, like we do with our 348 (which can't be trailered anyway) you'd do well to have a full second set of lines. We used the cheapie twisted ones that came with the boat for a couple of weeks before replacing them with 5/8" braided. World of difference in handling and security of tie-down on the cleats. At our slip we've got a pair of 25' at the bow, pair of 35' crossing at the stern and another pair of 35' for spring lines. Most of it's just a line from the starboard aft cleat to a piling amidships.

When we're out it's more or less the same thing but we've found it necessary to go use longer lines, two 35' for the bow and two 50' for spring and/or other purposes. You learn to gauge just what lengths of line are best suited for the docking conditions presented. A number of times we've ended up using a slip much larger than the one at home, or with a greater tidal swing (Cambridge Hyatt). In those cases the forward pilings were much farther ahead so we need the 50' lines for the bow.

But if you're only boating on a lake or never expect to be tying up overnight somewhere your line needs might be different. In general having 5 lines is adequate for almost all situations.

Post subject: Thanks for the advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am 
Guppy

Great advice everyone. This is a fantastic forum to get information on just about anything. Nobody knows better than the people who own the boats and use them.

This is our second four winns and so far we like the 278, but time will tell. Our preference would be the 288 or the 318 that we saw at the Seattle Boat Show, but time will tell what we will do.

Again thank you and I will follow the recommendations suggested.

Randy B..

New owner of the 278 " Tuscan Sea"

:D