www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 pm 
AGE < LOA

I'm going to pass on the survey since it's so far out of state and only 22k. I think it's a pretty good deal with 298 hours on it. I'm very mechanically inclined. I have a 220 horizon but what are some other things I should be looking for on the cruiser. I'm figuring on a compression test. Does anyone have the FSM acceptable compression range for the 5.0 volvo penta? Should I pull and inspect the risers? It was used in saltwater it's whole life. Boat is actually in very good condition...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:31 pm 
Mental Floss

Yes on the inspecting the exhaust manifolds and the exhaust elbows. Thre will also be some vacuum breaks on the inside of each exhaust elbow. Those should be inspected as well. The prevent back flow of water into the engine when shutting the engine off.

There isn't much else relating to specific problem areas on the 248. I had a 2000 for 3 years. Great boat. She may be a bit underpowered with a 5.0. I had a 5.7 GS/DP and the boat performed respectably. You should be able to find the performance numbers on the customer service section of the Four Winns website.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:56 pm 
AGE < LOA

Thanks. I thought about only having 5 liters but it will only be used to go out to a spot on the calm upper chesapeake that is only 10 miles out. The horizon 220 will be kept for wakeboarding and tubing.

Does it sound like a decent price? There is no heat or AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 pm 
Mental Floss

Send the info to boat us. They have a free baot value check. It's based on your area which could give you some negotiation room or confirm that it's a great price. http://www.boatus.com/buyer/valueform.asp

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been watching prices on the internet and 3 different boating magazines over the winter and that price is a good price. Maybe too good. Being new to this, I learned the hard way about engines when mine overheated at the beginning of last season. I didn't get it back until the end of the season. My advice would be a thorough engine check. A new 5.0 Gi costs over 4 grand.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:16 pm 
AGE < LOA

Yea, I'll be doing a full compression and leakdown test. I haven't found anyone willing to touch that price! 5k makes me feel good, I just dropped 30K on my built Supra motor!