www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soft spot on cabin floor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:04 pm 
Tadpole

I have a 1995 238 Vista which I purchased new. For the first season everytime I trailered the boat I would arrive at the lake with standing water in the cabin floor. After talking to the factory it was determined that a drain hole was in the floor but the factory covered it with carpet. AND there was no fitting and no plug to kep the drain closed. When the boat was tilted forward on the trailer the bilge water would come up in to the cabin. They fixed the fitting. Now 9 years later I have a soft spot in the cabin floor. I cut the floor out and discovered that all of the foam flotation material is still wet. Now I'm facing major repairs. Stringers seem OK. I think the factory should repair this but guess what thy said?

Anyone else have a similar problem??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:41 am 
268 Vista

First I have heard of that problem. Personally, I would not expect any boat mfg. to fix a boat that is 12 years old. Glad the stringers are okay.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:01 am 
Tadpole

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
First I have heard of that problem. Personally, I would not expect any boat mfg. to fix a boat that is 12 years old. Glad the stringers are okay.

Under normal circumstances I would agree. However I did return the boat to the dealer and they sould have done a more complete inspection of the problem. The floor drain did not drain to the bilge it just dumped the water into the foam where it stayed in an airtight environment for the next several years. My contention is the factory screwed up when they built the boat; the dealer only did the minimum required to get me out of their hair; and since the damage was not visible to me(but should have been known by the factory), they are liable. We'll find out soon as I intend to sue them for damages.

Post subject: More info
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm 
Tadpole

All the foam is now out and the problem has been diagnosed. Factory mistake! In the center of the cabin floor there is a floor drain. It consists of a plastic tube that leads to the engine room where the bilge pump would pick up any water that entered the cabin (fresh water from sink, shower etc.) The tube was supposed to have an attachment that resembles an inverted saucer dish (about the size of a coffee cup) from that dish another tube fits inside the plastic tubing going to the engine room. My boat did not have the attachment and the plug that you would remove to drain the cabin. Without the attachment the whole contraption worked backwards. When the boat was put on a trailer the water in the bilge ran forward and up the tube where it leaked into the foam. All of this was invisible to me due to the carpeting which covered the drain tube. Once the foam became soaked it stayed that way FOR YEARS. Now the plywood flooring is rotted out and the foam is ruined. Piss poor quality control if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 am 
email admin your custom rank

Here's my take on it from an Insurance Agent standpoint. Under most circimstances, I would say you don't have a leg to stand on but based on the unique circumstances, there is no feasible way you or anyone else could have possibly known about this problem. The fact that it took 12 years to show itself might give you a snowballs chance for indemnification. As long as it wasn't something that "broke" or "came lose" but mearly a defect that was undectable, they should fix it. I would compare this type of thing to a pollution claim with a gas station. Many times, it takes years to detect a pinhole leak, and by then it's too late. An omission by them during the manufacturing process should entitle you to your claim.

Good luck!! and keep us up to date. I guess we will see to what degree they stand behind the quality of their product.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'd agree that they made a mistake, but very few companies would extend a warantee that far. I am almost done replacing most of the floor in my 88 Horizon, the stringers had to be done to, and I ripped out all the foam, NOT FUN but almost done!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II