www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:00 pm 
Tadpole

HI.

Glad this forum is here as I am moving from my 1985 260 SeaRay to a bigger boat and have an opportunity to get a 1988 315 Vista for around $15k. Before I pay the marine surveyor $1k for a thorough checkout ($14/ft, $100/engine, haul out/launch fees etc.) I wanted to get some opinions from the group on what to watch out for and pay special attention to.

The boat is part of an estate sale and spent most of its' life in OH before being moved south to Atlanta. It has twin OMCs, full canvas, recent tune up.

The issues that the marine surveyor has brought up just from a cursory glance and his own experience are:

1. OMC parts - while available they are triple price

2. Four Winns of that vintage are noisy, light and cheaply built - in his words "Volkswagons" of the boat industry.

3. Reupholstering the helm and swivel seat will be $750

4. A replacement for the lexar sliding companionway hatch is no longer made and since it's missing a big chunk it will let water into the cabin.

5. It's an ugly duckling thanks to much dust and oxidation.

I am not terribly concerned about all this since I'm looking for function over form but structural and mechanical issues do worry me and could quickly turn a good deal bad.

Regards, Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:27 pm 
Guppy

Well i'm new to this site but not to boating. I think the main thing to look for when buying a used boat is always engine,tranny,and drives.All used boats,like you state, are gonna have cosmetic flaws and simple electrical problems but drivelines can NEVER be over inspected. COMPRESSION CHECK important.Always plan on spending money on manifolds and risers and also water pumps.I've learned alot about this from my previous boat purchase which I am still having engine problems. I should have taken my own advise but if it helps you I'll feel better.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:54 am 
Andiamo

I had an OMC in my 1993 215Sundownder which I owned for 10 years, and it was an absolutely Great Motor. I don't remember which engine, but it was the biggest one that they put in that boat back then. In 10 years, I never had a problem with the motor or drive. Having said that, I would be very concerned about the availability of parts as OMC has been out of business for quite a few years now. I don't know how to go about it, but maybe there is some way to check on parts availability for your model. Best of Luck! Keep us posted!