www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:52 pm 
Tadpole

Hello, I'm new here so let me introduce myself ... we're Lily's Pad, a 2006 Vista 348 that we dock in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. I have heard that there is a way to re-route our galley sink drain directly overboard instead of into the shower sump. Does anyone know if there are instructions available somewhere to do that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hi. My 238 Vista galley sink drains overboard-- I think it came from the factory that way.....there is a thru-hull on the port side--above the water line of course, and under the counter accessed through a small cabinet door i see the loop in the drain hose....i think that's all you have to do. Yes, i know that drilling the side of your hull is nerve -wracking, but I'm sure it could be accomplished with some care and forethought....good luck!!

Previous boats; 91 Cobia 19' Cuddy, 87 Starcraft 16' BR,
67 Winner BR, 65 Arrow 14'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks. The galley sink is on the starboard side of our boat, and the sink in the head drains overboard to that side as well. I believe there is a kit available that would let me connect the galley sink to the head sink drain hose, so if anyone knows where I can get a hold of those instructions and/or kit, please let me know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm 

lily'spad wrote:
I have heard that there is a way to re-route our galley sink drain directly overboard instead of into the shower sump.

I would be PO'd if that were the case with my boat. I have cleaned many a sour bottle of milk in my galley sink and would not be too happy with that smell sitting in my shower pump "mini bilge". I think you should opt for a dedicated line and thru-hull fitting as opposed to tapping into the head sink outlet. Four Winns ought to correct that screw up even though it is out of warranty. Not going to happen but what a joke. As Palin stated, "drill baby drill".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 pm 
Shark

Welcome to the forum Lilys'pad. We boat out of WavePointe. Think I've heard you folks on the VHF a few times over the years. Think there is also a Lily Pad in Egg Habor? Anyway, the sink drain issue. We had a 328 with same issue and re-routed directly overboard. Not familiar with the 348 though. Our galley and head were on the portside. We couldn't tee into the head sink drain because the run was either flat our uphill. We ended up drilling a hole for it's own thru hull. Easy project but nerve wracking. Probably measured 20 times before drilling to get decent pitch on the drain hose, yet keeping the thru hull above the waterline as much as possible. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 am 
Sierra

This is one of the best/most important basic mods you can make to this boat. While I understand that their intention may have been to pre-plumb for a grey-water tank, the majority of these models don't have one and not sending the galley sink drain overboard is an unfortunate design flaw. My yard did my installation so I cannot speak to the specifics. There is no kit that I know of but it is straight ahead plumbing.
This is the thru-hull that I used. While not a perfect match to the OEM thru-hull used for the head sink, it was a close enough match that I never noticed it.

Here is where it went behind the fridge. It always worked flawlessly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 am 

On our 2001 328 Four Winns the galley sink, head sink, shower sump pump and cockpit sink are on the port side of the boat. The galley sink, head sink and cockpit sink have their own thru hulls and are drained directly over board. The galley sink, head sink and shower sump pump thru hulls are grouped close together. The cockpit sink drains further back. The picture shows the factory placement of these thru hulls. Picture was taken while we were waxing boat in preparation of last years spring launch.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 am 

I'm one of the unfortunate ones to have a grey water tank. I have the head sink, cabin sink, and cockpit sink all draining into the sump pump and then into grey water tank. It's a pain in the a** to pump it all the time. This is one of the mods I want to get done before spring, but I'm running out of time.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks. I see a small project in my future ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am 

Our boat was built with a gray water system and I agree the pump out thing is a pain. What our dealer did was re-plumb all the cabin sinks to go into the shower sump and installed a thru hull. That has worked well but this year I will be adding a direct galley sink thru hull to stop the nasty stuff from collecting in the shower sump.

I reviewing my boat manual, there is a full drawing showing the parts required and even rough location. It does show that the hose going overboard should form a trap rather than being a straight shot out.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 am 

jnizi wrote:
Our boat was built with a gray water system and I agree the pump out thing is a pain. What our dealer did was re-plumb all the cabin sinks to go into the shower sump and installed a thru hull. That has worked well but this year I will be adding a direct galley sink thru hull to stop the nasty stuff from collecting in the shower sump.

I reviewing my boat manual, there is a full drawing showing the parts required and even rough location. It does show that the hose going overboard should form a trap rather than being a straight shot out.

That's good to know. I'm debating between just using one thru hull for the sump pump, or 3 separate ones to drain individually. I don't use the sinks to often, but use the shower to wash the kids when I spend the night on the boat almost every weekend which fills the tanks quickly.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 am 

jnizi wrote:

Thats a good point on the trap. I want to do that as well, with the genny on that side would give a place for CO to come it the cabin without doing the trap.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 pm 

Not that I am a fan of turning the side of the boat into swiss cheese, I think separate thru hulls are the best. I am going to leave the head sink and floor drain to to the sump tank and add one thru-hull for the galley sink. I was thinking of putting the galley and head sink on the same thru-hull but Murphy is not my best friend and I am concerned of a back up that would overflow the opposite sink.

So my plan is to have the head sink, head floor drain and AC drain to the sump and then overboard and add a galley sink thru-hull. We use the galley sink the most so taking that load off of the ship battery will also be a good thing. Let gravity do the work. I do carry a spare 800 gph replacement pump on board since I have already burnt one out.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm 

jnizi wrote:
Not that I am a fan of turning the side of the boat into swiss cheese, I think separate thru hulls are the best. I am going to leave the head sink and floor drain to to the sump tank and add one thru-hull for the galley sink. I was thinking of putting the galley and head sink on the same thru-hull but Murphy is not my best friend and I am concerned of a back up that would overflow the opposite sink.

So my plan is to have the head sink, head floor drain and AC drain to the sump and then overboard and add a galley sink thru-hull. We use the galley sink the most so taking that load off of the ship battery will also be a good thing. Let gravity do the work. I do carry a spare 800 gph replacement pump on board since I have already burnt one out.

Do you have the cockpit sink already draining overboard?

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 pm 
Nauti Luv

I guess I have something to learn from this...

On our 298, our sinks drain overboard. So, the real question is, what drains into, and where does the shower sump drain to? I am guessing, the shower sump ONLY collects shower drain water and then it pumps overboard? Or...would it drain into my blackwater/waste tank?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4