www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm 
268 Vista

aguyindallas wrote:
I guess I have something to learn from this...

On our 298, our sinks drain overboard. So, the real question is, what drains into, and where does the shower sump drain to? I am guessing, the shower sump ONLY collects shower drain water and then it pumps overboard? Or...would it drain into my blackwater/waste tank?

Not sure on a 298. On our boat, all sinks were plumbed at the factory to drain overboard, and the shower sump just gets shower drain water.
Since we rarely shower on the boat, no icky stuff to clean in the shower sump either.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:24 pm 
Nauti Luv

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
aguyindallas wrote:
I guess I have something to learn from this...

On our 298, our sinks drain overboard. So, the real question is, what drains into, and where does the shower sump drain to? I am guessing, the shower sump ONLY collects shower drain water and then it pumps overboard? Or...would it drain into my blackwater/waste tank?

Not sure on a 298. On our boat, all sinks were plumbed at the factory to drain overboard, and the shower sump just gets shower drain water.
Since we rarely shower on the boat, no icky stuff to clean in the shower sump either.

I am fairly sure mine is the same. I believe the only thing that goes into my shower sump is shower drain and I think AC condensate.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm 
268 Vista

I bet you are right. Some FW models were not set up that way however.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm 
Tadpole

On our 348, they have the A/C condensor, shower and galley sink draining into the shower sump, which is then pumped overboard. The head sink goes directly overboard as does the cockpit sink. I could never figure out why they would drain a kitchen sink into a shower sump until I learned recently that they pre-plumbed for a grey tank that I don't have and won't be installing anytime soon.

Because of this, we never put anything but clear water down our galley sink, which is a real pain in the you know what.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

According to the past specs portion of the Four Winns web site for a 2001 328 Vista you had the option to add a........

- Grey water (30 gallon)
with indicator
- Head, additional
holding tank (30
gallon)

I wonder how many people who purchased new actually elected to chose the 30 gallon grey water tank?

You would think other models of similar size and year may have had the same option choices......

We have the additional 30 gallon Head holding tank.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 pm 

When I purchased mine used, it had two black water tanks and one grey tank. The two black tanks were connected with only gravity pulling the crap through. I had a clog between the two tanks (not knowing there were two black tanks). I called four winns for advice and they said I was one of a handful that has my kind of setup. Terrible design.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm 
Dolphin

My V276 has everything (including the galley sink) routed to the shower sump that empties to a grey tank. I plan to install a thru hull to empty the shower sump output overboard but do like the suggestion to add an additional thru hull specifically for the galley sink.

Would this type of thru hull require a safety valve of any kind? I expect that as this is all above the waterline I could (e.g.) simply connect the galley sink drain hose to the thru hull without any check valve???

Thanks

Kevin

"Heart's Content II"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 am 

I had horrible issues with these drains last season. I don't know why the galley sink T's into the sump with the AC drain, horrible planning. Now I listen for the pump to kick on whenever i'm draining the galley sink.

"Swept Aweigh"
2003 Four Winns 328 Vista

Previous Boat
2003 Crownline 230CCR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am 

I'm checking off things on my to do list, and a thru hull for the galley and head sink are next on the list. I have been struggling with how to place the thru hull to get it in a good spot on the outside aesthetically, while having it in the right place on the inside. Measuring doesn't help much, there isn't anything to work off from.

I decided to try some magnets and see if I could pinpoint the location. Here is what I found

Magnet taped to the inside of the hull

Where it landed on the outside of the hull

Well all the other thru hulls are mounted 3" above the boot stripe, and as you can see this fall a couple inches below the boot stripe. If going to investigate next week on going mor rearward like Seirra did, behind the fridge.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am 
Nauti Luv

Just a thought....have you taken a close look at pics of boats that do drain overboard? This might help you asthetically?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:30 pm 

Our 248 has thru hull discharges for both the head and galley sinks....they are awesome!

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 am 

aguyindallas wrote:
Just a thought....have you taken a close look at pics of boats that do drain overboard? This might help you asthetically?

I looked thru all 15 of the ones for sale on yacht world and I don't see many if any 318's in our area, my guess is they are all like this with the grey water option in mind. i was looking at a starboard side view and came up with this. The red is where it would land if i came out in the galley area. If I move toward the stern where the blue is, it would be behind the head cabinet, approx the same distance off the water line and above the boot stripe in line with the rest of the of the thru hulls.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:10 pm 

I am looking if anyone has a thru hull that has the galley and head sinks teed into a single output. I am not crazy about this but am trying not to do 2 holes in the hull. Currently they both tee into the sump basin but in looking at it today, I can easily remove the hose from the sump, position the hose so it has a trap and get it out above the water line. Just not sure about the Tee. If I get a clog, the opposite sink becomes the overflow. :( :( My other option would be to leave the head sink into the sump. The real goal is to stop all the galley junk ending up in the sump tank but if I can get them both draining without having to pump, it would be ahead.

Any ideas?

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am 
Seahorse

I am one of the lucky ones as well who has the galley sink flowing into the sump pump.....man what a pain in the butt that is. I don't mind having the head sink or the shower draining to the sump but the food which flows from the galley sink is unavoidable.
I noticed that Sierra posted some pics which looks very similar to my cabin. I have a couple of questions before I start this job.

1. On one of Sierra's pics it shows the location of the thru hull as well as the exposed hoses. I assume the black hose at the bottom is the drain to the sump from the galley sink, is this correct?

2. Based on the location of your thru hull is it only important to ensure it is located below the sink itself? What if the drain/start of hose if above the thru hull but along the way the hose dips below and then back up to the thru hull, is this a problem for proper draining?

3. Would it be important to somehow set up a trap along the way?

Thx for your help on this.

2009 V358 (Deb's Den)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:18 pm 

All sinks on WineDown drain directly overboard as does the sump pump for the shower.

On the picture below you can see the through-hulls for the galley and head sinks as well as the shower sump pump. Obviously the galley sink through-hull is the one closest to the bow and the head sink and sump pump through-hulls are the ones side by side near the middle of the boat.