PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

What's the consensus for bottom paint?

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:51 am 

From what I've heard, so far, from last year to this year in reading the postings on bottom paint, I've come to these thoughts:

1) If a boat is in the water for the season, whether it is up north and or definitely down south, it should be bottom painted.

2) If the boat has the out of water storage for the season and placed in the water when needed, it really doesn't need to be bottom painted.

3) Older boats will probably need bottom paint ( 7yrs or more ) regardless of in season use (slip or out of water storage).

Is this what I'm hearing? I have three weeks to launch so I need to paint soon. I slip in the water through the season (May through September/October).

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:38 pm 
Guppy

I would definetly bottem paint.Also where I am ,salt water, I would do a protective barier coat.More exspensive than bottem paint and twice the work but it protects the hull from water blisters.I've seen newer boats with water blisters. Something about the water like chemicals or acidity or something could also cause blisters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 am 
ShanMan

Can someone give me an idea of what I could expect to pay for painting the bottom of a 28" boat?

We're leaving ours wet slipped and I know it needs to be done but I don't know where (yet) or how much it should cost. Also, how often does it need to be done?

I assume a marina would lift it, clean and apply the paint?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 am 
Andiamo

ShanMan14, the 1st time a new hull is bottom painted is the most important IMO! The hull must be free of wax and should be roughed up just a little for better adhesion. Then a "Barrier Coat" should be applied, and then after that dries I would suggest a high quality "Hard" (NOT Ablative) bottom paint can be applied. I am not sure about the # of coats of either the barrier or final, but the dealer will know.

The key here IMHO is that you wind up with a good foundation for future bottom painting. In Year 2, I personally covered the "Hard" bottom paint on my hull with the ACT Ablative Bottom Paint with Iragol. That is a soft paint that wears off gradually as you use the boat. Since I already had the "Hard" paint under it from the prior season, the Ablative paint did a great job. When I pulled my boat for the season, I was amazed how clean it was compared to many others. Then each year after that, all I have to do is basically a "Touch Up" job and now this year in my 4th season with the boat, I put a fresh coat of the ACT Ablative, which should give me a couple of seasons with minimal maintenance.

I am sorry I can not remember how much it cost me the 1st time, but whatever it is, it is worth it to have it done right. You can do it yourself but it is a lot of work. After Yr. 1 it is a piece of cake to maintain it yourself for the cost of the paint, a brush, roller, and roller pan that you can just discard when you are done!

The only other piece of advice that I have learned since my own experience, and I wish I had thought about it, is to use 2 different colors. LEt me explain what I am talking about that a buddy just did:
His boat is trimmed out in Blue and he wanted his final coat of bottom paint to be Blue to match his hull accents. He painted the 1st Coat of "Hard Paint" with Black bottom paint, and then painted 2coats of the "Soft Ablative" paint over it after it was thoroughly dried, with a Blue color that matches his hull perfectly! I gotta tell you, it looks Great! The big benefit here is that as the Blue Ablative paint starts to wear, he can easily see where he needs touch up since the black will come through!

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:25 pm 

Here in CT I have gotten quotes from 17 -28 per foot. Personally I dont have bottom paint. I slip in fresh water for 6 months a year. When we go to the shallows to hang out I bring my brush and scrub . At the end of the season I acid wash and wax. It gets waxed again in the spring. Its alot more maintance, but for resale, here anyway, people seem to prefer no paint when they buy. I think its harder to hide problem areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:47 pm 

I have a barrier coat covered with VC 17. It last about 5 seasons with some touchup. Easy to clean up in the fall. Were in fresh water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:26 am 
ShanMan

Thanks for the input. We've decided to have the marina do it before she goes into the water. Since our boat was in the showroom, it's got a nice coat of wax on the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:22 pm 

I just had my 238 vista done for $1680 fist time it had it. They did a barrier coat then the anti foul stuff. It really looks good. It is also pretty thick. I'm guessing that it's about 12 mils thick. I heard the VC 17 is good. Smooth bottom with that stuff.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:45 pm 
Shark

I slip my 248 every year (3-4 months in water)

After several seasons of applying Bottom Kote wax and heavy end of season cleanings, I decided to VC-Offshore the hull...

It was the best decision I have made. There is no difference in drag on the hull. There is no discernable weight difference, and cleanup at the end of the year is a snap... Including no more need for muratic acid.

I am going on the 3rd season without repainting. Next your I will touch it up.

If your on a trailer, VC-Offshore is a great choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 am 
ShanMan

Our marina has a shop that does it and I got a quote: $48 a foot! :shock:

He recommended a primer coat to prevent blistering, however FW has a 5 year osmotic blistering warranty. I called FW and without saying (I'm sure there are legal reasons) the rep basically told me the primer coat to prevent blistering was not needed due to the "schedule" of gelcoat/fiberglass method.

The quote I got for 27' was about $2200 for 2 coats of paint. That include roughing it up and getting it out of the water etc. I can't beat the convenience of it, they're about 20 yards from my slip.

He did ask me what color paint. he said blue wears quickly and recommended black. Since the hull is white, won't this look a little odd? Any recommendations there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:16 am 

I got the green color because it matched some of the pin stripping on the boat. And it looks really good. Any color that matches the colors on the boat would look better.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:38 pm 
Shark

I have a Green boat but I went with Black... The Blue and green colors never look right after the first season... Black just absorbs the color of the water and looks right. Besides, most of the paint is in the water.

My 2 cents.