www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:49 pm 
AGE < LOA

Well if you guys haven't noticed; i'm going nuts on the new boat decking it out. Can somebody tell me what the factory windlass was oem? Should be a seperate manual as part of your owners manual. My boat must be pre wired for it, or at least the switches are there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Mine is also. The boat is prewired for it, but I don't think they put them on the 248's

Here's a great link that might help you install one.

http://members.toast.net/boatguy/proj-14.htm

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
AGE < LOA

Wow, thanks for the link! Looks easy especially since we're pre-wired or at least pre switched. I'm going to go look at the panel and see if they ran any wire up to the locker. Also good that we probably won't have to re-glass as the existing opening is very small on the 248.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:48 am 
Andiamo

The windlass on my 2004 268Vista is the Maxwell Freedom 500 Automatic Rope/Chain Anchor Winch. This model is made to be used with 1/4" Acco High Test Chain Spliced to 1/2" Nylon Line. At least that is what is says right n the cover of the Owners Manual.

The website is:
http://www.maxwellwinches.com/gen_freed ... b=features

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My 248 isprewired all the way to the bow. Switch is already in the dash. Not sure why Four Winns went through all that trouble only to never offer it as an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 pm 
AGE < LOA

Yeah, it's funny it was never an option all the way to 06 yet some were prewired.. That's good to know. I felt plenty of wires in the locker last night but I'm going to stick my head in there this weekend when I remove the knock-out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:53 am 
AGE < LOA

anybody with a 248 happen to know where the 8awg pos and neg run to from the bow? I've got them in the anchor locker but I can't find them in the dc panel. I've looked in the engine bay near the batteries to see if they terminated them there and see nothing there either. Only other thing I can think is maybe the dc fuseblock?? Also, there is another harness in the anchor locker zip tied to the navigation light wire harness. I think there's like 5 wires in it. Did they pre-run wire for a spotlight too? That would be nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:38 pm 
wkearney99

Our 348 has the breaker for the windlass on the battery switch panel. There's no breaker for it in the main panel. I'm guessing this is for two reasons, one being the considerably greater current drain of the windlass and the other being accessibility. If you pull too hard with the windlass it'll trip the breaker. You do not want to have to go running below to flip it back again. Better to just take a step back to the battery switch panel instead. I'd have to guess the 248 would do something similar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:16 pm 
AGE < LOA

Yeah, thanks Bill, I've been all over both dc and ac panels (especially the dc) and don't see them anywhere. I guess I'm going to call FW in the am to see what they can tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:05 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

mkivbren wrote:
Yeah, thanks Bill, I've been all over both dc and ac panels (especially the dc) and don't see them anywhere. I guess I'm going to call FW in the am to see what they can tell me.

Bren,

I will be waiting to find out what you find out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:23 am 
Mental Floss

I used an "anchor wench" on my 248 Vista. :wink: Have had the "wench" for 20+ years...since I continue to pay for her, it was the cheap alternative to installing a anchor windlass. The "anchor wench" unfortunately had a mind of her own...my anchor windlass listens much better.

It was the "anchor wench" that insisted on the anchor windlass...

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:39 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I wouldn't mind an anchor wench myself. But I want the lightweight model, say the 108LB model also the short model say 5'4" and blonde in color.

But I also enjoy my quiet life and I won't give that up, even for a super duper fast model wench or even dual fast model wenches.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:11 pm 
AGE < LOA

Ah!! Brett, is this the model you were thinking of?? Image She's really at me to get this pos in the water!! I wish I could upload the pic on my phone that she sent me of how much she likes big boats :wink: I'm telling you come on down to the chesapeake bay this summer!!

Anyway, I found the wiring tonight and man it was a PITA! I spoke to FW tech this am and he told me that the 248 is the same wiring harness as the 268 - that's how it ended up with 8awg prewired for a windlass. And he said that the wires should be zip tied up behind the DC panel which i informed him mine of course weren't! So I got home and investigated in the cabin - there was a taped up wire I noticed the other day when I removed the cabin lighting rocker switches. I cut it open and it revealed the pos and neg 8awg wire. Which btw, was pretty much like sticking your hand into a fly trap. It's all sticky goo in there. I pulled hard on it and I could hear a slapping coming from the sidewall of the port side just forward of the rear speaker. So I got a long "grabber" tool and I could feel it but couldn't grip it. I then went under to the lockers in the bed and was able to grab it and pulled on it hard. It finally let loose and I had all of it. Not without a few good cuts from reaching up in there. I then fished it back up through the speaker hole (yes I removed the vinyl and speaker along that side. Pushed it through to the back and that was that.

Now I tested my new sprint 600 windlass only to find that it's DOA!! I spoke to lewmar today and they were really nice. I think they are going to take care of me. Nothings easy!

Brett, could you do me a favor and check to see how they routed the wiring for your spotlight? Do they run the wire for it alongside of the wire for the navigation light (through the same rail?) It doesn't look like it's going to be fun trying to fish it through there if thats the case but thats the only route I see right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:41 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Hmm nice wench... I wonder if it's whiney when taking on a large load... Err Ok I am trying real hard to behave here... :)

Bren,

Sure enough my spot light and nav wires are all in one bundle running through the bow rail. They must use Circus Folk (small hands, smell like Cabbage) to run these wires??? :lol:

Getting at the windlass wiring sounds like it's going to be a chore.. Flexiteek is on the to do list before the windlass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:35 pm 
AGE < LOA

lol. My God!! I need some circus folk.. Don't know how the hell I'm going to run them together. That and I went with the 6" guest stainless light which consequently uses a slightly heavier wire run.. I have been twisting myself into a pretzel the past few weeks with this thing, I'm sure going to be glad when it's finished!!

On a side note, Johns post is funny because there's been so many times where I've observed the wifey struggling with the anchor and the guy barking out orders which seems to lead to fighting / arguing. Just something I've observed out there a lot.