www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:08 am 
Goldfish

Hello All:

To Anyone who has a recent 278\288 Vista with the tv mounted on the cabin wall. Typically I've seen these mounted to the right of the companionway steps. How are they mounted? Are the secured to a standard flat panel tv bracket, or does FW use some other means to secure them. What connectons are there to the rest of the AV system? It is feasible to replace the stock tv with a different model?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm 
AGE < LOA

Not sure if I'd be any help but I just ordered an LCD and I plan to take down the mirror and mount it there.. I may have to make a custom bracket to get it to mount securely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:44 pm 
Goldfish

That's what I did with my 268 Vista.

I created a plywood base and wrapped it with padding and Marine Vinal to match the interior. To the back I fasted the clips that were on the back of the mirror, and to the front a mounting bracket for the LCD tv.

The catch was that I had a telescoping arm so that when it was installed the wieght of the TV was acutally handled by the back of the seat rest. Not ideal but it worked pretty good, and still gave me the ability to lift the bracket off and access the anchor rode locker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:02 pm 
AGE < LOA

Thanks Scots! my plans exactly! Do you have any pics of that setup? Also, how does that anchor locker access remove? Is it threaded or does it unbolt? I have not had a chance to get in there but I need to since I just picked up a windlass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm 
Goldfish

Hi:

The locker hatch is threaded.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the setup, and we will only be on that boat briefly in a few weeks to remove our stuff to our new boat. I'm taking the bracket with me because I'm going to use it at home (minus the backing plate). LOL: It's a shame I only got one season of use from it since it was such a work of pure genius and craftsmanship ;)

It was actually pretty straight forward to build, and then I just measured the distance between the mirror clips and screwed them to the back of the backing plate. Main thing to watch is the weight and support for the TV.

If your cabin is like mine the interior Vinyl is beige. I picked up a yard and padding from a fabric store for about 10 bucks which would probably cost you $30 from West Marine. I cut and wrapped the vinyl around the backing plate and stapled it on the back where they wouldn't be visible.

For the power I just ran an extension cord tucked in behind the seats along the port side, and left the end loose. We just plugged it in to the galley outlet when we wanted to watch TV, and hid it when not in use.

Hope this helps. You'll probably be done long before I'm up at the boat again. But I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Scots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I removed the mirror and secured a flat screen mount right to the bulkhead. Put a shelf right below it to hold the sat. receiver and DVD player. My 258 does not have access to the anchor locker from the inside. Can take pics this weekend if your interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:57 pm 
AGE < LOA

Sweet, I'd like to see that Teker. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:33 am 
ShanMan

I'd like to see photos of this setup. Our new Vista came with the flat panel mounted flat to the wall of the bathroom/head. This means to watch TV "in bed" in the V-Berth we have to be facing aft. Since we'll probably sleep the other direction, we'll have to do a 180 when it's time to sleep.

I checked out the FW parts site and the connection is just a simple yellow RCA video cable. It would have been nice if FW had used at least a component cable with the Sharp EDTV - Oh well.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:44 pm 
Shark

I installed my flat screen on a arm mount attached to the microwave cabinet. It had easy access to a AC source (behind microwave) and you are able to see it from both cabins. I have pic I can post if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:17 pm 
ShanMan

jmikula wrote:
I installed my flat screen on a arm mount attached to the microwave cabinet. It had easy access to a AC source (behind microwave) and you are able to see it from both cabins. I have pic I can post if you like.

I'd like to see photos if it's not too much trouble. Where is your DVD player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:25 pm 
Sting Ray

:twisted: This thread is useless without pictures!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:07 am 
Shark

Give me a day.. I am in the middle of getting her ready for the water. While you wait, here is a pic of the mounting bracket. It was a $30 or $40 ebay purchase.

Pictures of the flat screen coming shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 am 
ShanMan

I like that. How/where are you going to run the wires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 pm 
Shark

I drilled a hole beneath the microwave and ran the power to the DirectTV unit and the TV. It's a TV DVD flat screen combo, to there is no separate DVD player. The hole is hidden pretty well because the light is there. I plugged everything into the microwave circuit.

I'll have pics of it soon.

Thanks/