www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:41 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Hey all,

Okay this will be my all inclusive Q&A thread and I have some Q's for sure.

My Vista has the Cherry dinette table. Am I correct in my thinking that this table does not convert into the filler to turn the dinette into a sleeper? Do I need to order the "filler" table if I want to convert the dinette area into a V Bert Sleeper? Or do I get both tables with it (I didn't ask the dealer this, since I just figured it out).

Has anyone here added a vertical windlass like the Lewmar units? Am I going to have to do a good bit of cutting to the deck glass to install one? The windlass is about the only thing this 248 doesn't have, but it is ranking high on my "to do" list.

Flexiteek.... I want it... I know all the arguments against it, but after owning a solid red gelcoat boat, the Flexiteek won't get any hotter than my red swim platform did. I love the look of the flexiteek and I see that Four Winns has it listed as 030-1803 KIT so can I have the dealer order this and install it myself? From what I understand they just epoxy in place. Does anyone have a rough idea what it will cost? (less than a grand?)

Engine Flush, I saw a flushout fitting listed in the parts section for the 248 and I was curious do all the 248's have a flush out port from the factory? If so that's a major bonus!

Generators, I am going to buy a small portable generator. I am looking at the Honda EU2000i and the Yamaha 2400 model. Do you think either of these will be sufficient to power the AC or Heat and the lights and the fridge?

I am sure I will have more questions as I think about it more. Lots of these will be covered by the dealer on Sunday I'm sure. But it never hurts to ask those who know these boats.

And I thank you all in advance!

Brett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:18 am 
Andiamo

Brett248Vista wrote:
Has anyone here added a vertical windlass like the Lewmar units? Am I going to have to do a good bit of cutting to the deck glass to install one? The windlass is about the only thing this 248 doesn't have, but it is ranking high on my "to do" list.Brett

Brett, attached is a link to a prior post with the OEM Model Info and weblink for the Maxwell Windlass on my 268Vista. This windlass works absolutely great for me, and might be the best fit for you, FWIW.

http://ifourwinns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4936#4936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:20 am 
Mental Floss

My 2000 248 used a seperate board we stored by sliding under the aft cabin pads. The table was large, and heavy so I had a smaller rectangular one made to replace it. Easier in and out and you could store it between the seat back and the shelf in the vberth.

Never installed the windlass. The biggest chanllenge will be getting heavy enough wire to the bow from the battery. I just used my "anchor wench" to deploy and retrieve the anchor. (my windlass follows instructions much better than my "anchor wench" did :wink: )

Flexteek IMHO will be a pain from all I hear. Requires sanding yearly, etc. I'm guessing that the product and installation will be well over $1000. I'd spend the money elsewhere such as a portable genset which will work well. I used a Hondo EU2000i for 3 years without issue. The unit easily powered the A/C and refrig/charger circuit.

A flush kit is usually an option. Many are available and it's and easy project.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:24 am 
Andiamo

Brett248Vista wrote:
Generators, I am going to buy a small portable generator. I am looking at the Honda EU2000i and the Yamaha 2400 model. Do you think either of these will be sufficient to power the AC or Heat and the lights and the fridge?Brett

Brett, attached is a link to a prior post with some info that you might find helpful. IMO, the Honda is a great choice.

http://ifourwinns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4405#4405

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:03 am 
Goldfish

jvalich: Do you use your portable generator when on the hook? Where do you put it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:24 am 
Mental Floss

Either the swim platform of the fore deck. It depended upon the activities and the location. Even on the fore deck, the honda was very quiet inside the cabin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

jvalich,

Thanks for the links and info!

Here is a question for you since you had a 2000i. What all will it run? I don't expect to run the stove, microwave and AC at the same time. But it will run the AC and the Refrig, Charger. What about the cabin lights, TV etc.. Does that all run off the 12V DC system no matter what? I know the fridge will switch back and forth between AC and DC.

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:32 pm 
AGE < LOA

brett,

check out my windlass thread. there's a great reference there - al's boating page with tons of how to's. I just ordered the Sprint 600, smoked a deal on it $560 new on flebay. I'll post pics of the install.

Also doing a delta stainless anchor (among a bunch of other mods) just for looks I guess..

From what I hear the EU2K genny is the best thing since sliced bread. There's a group buy and a lot of discussion on it at baylinerownersclub.org. they have a smokin deal on it over there.

Now I have to go see if I have the "optional" gray water tank. I rewired the shower sump over the weekend and it spits water out the side which is a no-no on the bay AFAIK.

Mine has the flush installed, I'm sure it would be a bolt in affair to add.

GL with the teak, no clue on that one.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:52 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Bren,

You wouldn't happen to have the link to the GB at BOC would you? I just did a search on BOC and couldn't find it. I will order one tonight at that price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:03 pm 
Mental Floss

Generally the tv lights and all are 12VDC. The charger running off the genset should keep things going nicely. Correct the refrigerator should be AC/DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:13 pm 
AGE < LOA

Brett, I'm emailing the couple that I bought my trailer from. They told me about it and they bought in on it. I don't see the group buy either, must have wiped it when they redid the site recently. I'm pretty sure I can get it for like 860 shipped with a cover or a cord i can't remember. I'll post as soon as I hear back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:35 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

jvalich,

That's what I figured, sounds like I'll be set! :)

Bren,

Most excellent! Thanks in advance! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 am 
AGE < LOA

Brett,

Here's his reply:

"Of all the neat things on the new boat, I think the windlass is my favorite. What a treat to just "press a button". The best you will do for a genny is Mayberrys in New Jersey (http://www.mayberrys.com). You can't order online,(have to phone in the order) but their price is still under $900, with free delivery and no tax. "

Thought the windlass part would be good motivation :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:12 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Bren,

Thanks a million! Yeah I gotta get the windlass done but the Generator comes first :)

It usually takes me a few months to work up the courage to cut holes in any of my boats :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Lets see if I can muster up some more questions for you guys and gals :)

The sump in the head is drained via an 1100GPH Rule Bilge Pump with Float Switch if I am not mistaken. Does that pump also function as a bilge pump or is it's sole purpose in liffe to be the sump pump? Does anyone know if any water is left in the sump after the pump turns off and have you had any issues with mold? I don't like water laying around so I just figured if this would be a problem I could always use some dilute clorox to kill bacteria.

Finding a 30A Shorepower to regular home outlet adapter "locally" is a PITA! The dealership is drop shipping me one from marinco for free (man this dealer rules! I think they are buttering me up so I buy a 348 next) :)

My 5.7L Gi/DP has the blue engine flush cap on the starboard side of the motor. The engine manual says I can run the engine on this to flush the engine. Is this true correct? I do not have to clamp off the water pickup hose on the LU? If no, then there must be a check valve in the flush out system I am guessing?

How can I test my marine head out of the water? I am guessing these heads with OB Discharge and Holding Tanks use raw water for the flushing? If so, there is no way to fill the bowl and flush short of adding water via the shower head? I just wanted to familiarize myself with operational techniques (but I will be on the water this weekend so I can play with it then).

As soon as I hook up the shore power cable , the on board battery charger will charge the batteries correct? Does the house pannel's master breaker have to be ON ?

That's all for now, but I will have more I'm sure!

Thanks in advance,
Brett