www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 am 
Tadpole

Hi:
It was encouraging to find this website. I’ve owned a lot of boats and other owners are by far the best source of “real” information about similar boats.
I just had a 2000 328 Vista surveyed that we are going buy. It was purchased new in 2003 by a woman who only put 265 hrs on it in the Columbia River around Portland Oregon until 2011. The survey shows ‘dead’ wood in the mid-cabin area aft of the AC water intake and seawater strainer. The spot appears to be 4-6” across and the wood is wet when I put a 3/8” drill bit through the VERY thin plywood. This must not be a structural stringer as it is only about3/8” thick and 2’ long until it is joined up to a much thicker stringer that runs forward from the front of the mid-cabin foot well. The strainer was installed on a piece of untreated wood screwed into the fiberglass covered plywood. The fiberglass and everything in the area is spotless, no stains, no water, and no evidence of repair.
Second problem is in engine room bulkhead to the port of the problem described above. I did not drill into that one as I don’t want to penetrate the engine room bulkhead. Checking the engine room side requires removing the kohler generator and muffler, which has not been done yet.
My question is, is this a common problem? And have others encountered issues like this? Would you pass on the boat and keep looking? We really like the layout and the entire boat looks new, except the Volvo DP outdrives which will require sanding and repainting to get ahead of the corrosion that is starting.

1979 Glaston 26'
1971 Apollo 25'