www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:21 pm 
ShanMan

What's the consensus on leaving the refrigerator and A/C on all the time if you're not there? The electricity bill is irrelvant and it would seem keeping the moisture out of the cabin to combat smells would be a good thing, in the case of AC.

The only downside would be the water running out the side of the boat all the time. It might be annoying to those around the boat?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:45 pm 
Seahorse

I always leave the refrigerator on but I was never brave enough to leave the a/c on.
For me, there must be a reason that the charger and frig are on the same breaker.

As far as the a/c. I know some folks at my marina who leave it on, but i was never comfortable doing it. There is something about water being drawn on the boat, and not being close by to monitor it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I leave my fridge on low just to keep some cold ones cold frowhen I return. As far as the ac is concerned it is really not good. Someone has to pay the bill. Eventually you and everyone else will pay when your slip fees increase. Plus its pretty wastefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We always leave the fridge on but our marina does not alow AC to be left on. It just runs up there ele bill. I'll do my part to keep rates down. It only takes a short time to cool the boat down when we get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:42 am 
ShanMan

My marina install seperate meters and I pay my own electric bill directly to the electric company. Electricity is not included in my slip fees.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:39 am 
wkearney99

Check to see if your AC has a dehumidify mode. Our 348 does. It automatically runs the AC for a couple of minutes, when necessary, to keep moisture from building up.

And be sure you're checking the filters. If you're running the AC a lot while it's docked you'll be pretty shocked at how quickly it gets gunked up with slime.

Some marinas (most?) have rules against running your AC when not present. For a couple of reasons, one being the electrical cost. Others being the risk of sinking (water being pumped under pressure) and the noise. A boat constantly 'peeing' from it's AC outlet can be annoyingly loud, especially to persnickety ragbaggers in the slip next to you...