www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:28 pm 
Guppy

...the one that isn't asked.... so here goes.

My depth sounder was reading 2 foot 4 inches at a shallow spot on the ICW. My thought was that our 318 draughts 38 inches (drives down).... yet I wasn't churning sand. After thinking a bit, I realized that the transducer is on the bottom of the hull in the engine room, so the reading is from that point... right?

If so, what is the distance (in elevation) from that point (where the transducer is situated) to the water line? That would give me a true reading of the water depth wherein I sit, correct?

Maybe a simple way to ask my question is, " How far under the water line is the bottom of the hull in the engine room?".

Is there a simple answer or method of measuring this, or do I have to bring a laser level down to the dock?

I would expect that my Raymarine C80 would have the capabilitiy to allow me to make an "adjustment" to the sounder depth reading in order to give me a true depth reading on the display... but alas, that manual is about 4 inches down in the stack right now.... I should get to it by... say.... mid summer (LOL)

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 pm 
Mental Floss

That is from the transducer down. You can set the keel offset to compensate from the depth of the transducer to the water line giving you the actual water depth.

Personally I don't use the keel offset. I'm interested in the water under the boat...that's what really matters.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"