www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 238 Vista Temp Problems
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 am 
Minnow

New user, great forum. I have a 1999 238 Vista with the 5.0 Volvo Duo-Prop. Last Sunday, my wife 2 year old son and I took the maiden voyage for 2007. Due to 'nap time' & numerous no-wake zones, I crawled for over 3 hours only getting on plane once. All was well.

I shut it off for 20 minutes or so to drift along, re-started and got it on plane to a cruising speed of 28 mph. Instantly the temp gauge maxed out and the alarm on the VDO chirped at me. I backed it off, got the temp down and headed for the launch. In 20 minutes of going 6 mph, it went off 5 more times.

Impeller? I don't think so- I just had a new one put on last August so due to family issues, it only has ten hours or so on it.

I have read the other postings on the VDO dash problems and am beginning to wonder if I am having the same problem. Of course, it is now at the dealer so they can 'check the impeller' but they can't ever touch it for a week due to the holiday (which means I will be watching everyone else from the shore this weekend).

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:14 pm 
AGE < LOA

I'd start at the impeller and inspect the entire cooling system. just because you recently replaced it doesn't rule out that you could have something go array in there! Also check your thermostat and circ pumps. I just replaced the ENTIRE cooling system on mine and yours is a few years older. Check out my thread to see how blocked the water jackets on the mani/ risers were! Get the shop manual and get your hands dirty this weekend :)

EDIT: I would also recommend a leakdown test to see if you warped the head due to the multiple overheats. Good Luck!

Post subject: 238 Temp Problem
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the reply, but I omitted some info that may be important.....
I hooked it up to the water muffs in the driveway and let it go for 20 mins or so. Temp reading held just past midpoint up until the 20 minute mark.

The needle randomly shot into the red and back down (not enough to set off the alarm, though). I called the dealer from inside the boat, in which he had me literally place my hands on the manifolds in which I was able to do, and keep there without burning them or any major discomfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:59 pm 
AGE < LOA

Ok, most likely the sensor. I'd get one overnighted tommorow and likely be back out on the h20 this weekend. Had the same thing happen on a seadoo I had. I'd probably still check the impeller but I'm anal as hell i guess..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:08 pm 
Mental Floss

'99, could be something as simple as a bad ground due to corrosion overtime.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:43 am 
Minnow

Update:
Just talked to the dealer- He said I have an air leak, I need a new water pump. Have one on order so hopefully will come in today. From there, they will see if it solves the temp problem.

Post subject: 238 Vista Temp Problem
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:11 pm 
Minnow

Unbelievable. New water pump, new temp sensor, but it is still reading around 30 degrees hotter than it is actually running. They said it is running at 160, but reads 190 or so. So they say I still need a new dash. How bad are these things to put in anyways? Dealer estimates at LEAST 3 hours labor to put it in. I'm pretty good with my trusty tools. DIY Project? Any suugestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I replaced mine. Its was a simple plug & play job. Took longer to remove the old panel than to put in the new. I wanted to take it out without mangling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 pm 
AGE < LOA

3 hours to install a new gauge in the dash???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:53 am 

I have a 99 238 vista and the dash instruments just pull out as an assembly. It is not physically attached to the cowl. I just pryed it out. It has a multiwire plug on the back. I disconnected the plug and took it to a FW dealer and they had a test cable that tested each gauge independantly. Mine past and it works fine since I launched. I now suspect some sensor problems or maybe some grounds. Not serious enough to priortise as a repair. Enjoying the boat too much since my over heat last year.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:55 am 

Sorry, it cost $18 to get tested.

OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:41 pm 
wkearney99

Two things come to mind, pick up a laser temperature probe and even a brand new impeller can get eaten up. The temp probe would let you take some measurements externally. I picked up a cheapie from Harbor Freight for just the sort of gauge problem you might be having.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 am 
Minnow

June 5th- Problem still not resolved.
Impeller- Check.
New water pump- Check (but now I'm thinking it was COMPLETELY a waste of money.
5/29: Put in 35 gallons of gas for the test ride after the water pump install. Started it, watched the gas level go from full to empty right in front of my eyes. Yes, the alarm on the dash began chirping.
Next, the oil pressure maxed out. Woo hoo- two alarms, alternating now - less than 10 minutes into the ride (while at no-wake speed yet, I might add). At least the temp seemed to be OK.
Whoops, there it went. Maxed out, 3 alternating alarms and lights now. One of those days when the beer just couldn't have been cold enough.
Called the dealership from the boat to order the new dashboard. Told him I would do it myself, just get it in. Hung up the phone (still operating the boat mind you) and thanks to all of the good info I got from this forum you fine folks, used my truck key to pry the old dash out in literally less than 15 seconds. Two quick pokes into the alarm unit with the key and Tah-Dah! NO MORE ALARMS! Still lots of pretty lights, but no more of those blasted alarms.
Found out yesterday the new dashboards are on back-order for an undetermined time-frame. Just can't win. Fridge still works, though- at least the beer can get cold(er).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 pm 

Skipper Bud's in Fenton has a source for the VDO's. When I asked, they said they needed the core unit and this other outfit would replace it for around $450. About a week to aquire. May be worth the call. 1-810-714-3570, ask for Angie in parts.

OMC 5.0 RL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 am 
Minnow

Update- Somebody help me. Managed to call around and get a new replacement dash.
$530 out the door.
Install: Less than an hour w/some intricate dremel work, but it looks great.
Sea-trial: Not so good. NO temp now, NO tach, NO hourmeter within tach. It reads '0.0' so I know it has power and oil, fuel and volt (which are housed within the same cluster dial) all work fine.
This just sucks. Waiting to do a weeker with the wife, no way I'll do it blind.