www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:52 am 
ShanMan

Saturday will mark our first overnight outing on our new Vista. I've been going over (in my head) things to bring and things I need to remember to do.

I've never used the windlass, so I'm a little concerned about waking up banging against the shoreline or something. :o I've got a lake chart, and I *think* I know where I want to drop anchor, but then I realize things like being next to a ramp isn't a great idea. I've got to remember my anchor light too.

The evenings are cool, at the moment, so it's A/C during the day and heat at night; I guess I'll be able to put the HVAC system to the test.

I'm curious to see how much gasoline the generator will consume, since it will probably be running the entire time.

Just some random thoughts... Anyone care to share dos and don'ts or relate their overnight experience?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

First thing to do is make sure the weather will be good. Next stock your fridge and make sure you have enough water on board. finally, have alot of fun and take some pics so we can all see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:18 pm 
Clownfish

ShanMan- I used to overnight in my cuddy cabin before I got the Vista...I always brought a second anchor to throw off the transom for extra security when we went to bed. Also, make sure you let ot a lot of anchor line (dont forget the tide will be rising/falling)

Hbender
2006 248 Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:20 pm 
Clownfish

and oh yeah....I almost forgot....

make sure you bring enough beer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:14 pm 
Mental Floss

If your going to run the genny, I'd be leary of dropping a stern anchor. That will prevent you from swinging and could potentailly push CO into the boat if the wind shifts.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:07 am 
ShanMan

jvalich wrote:
If your going to run the genny, I'd be leary of dropping a stern anchor. That will prevent you from swinging and could potentailly push CO into the boat if the wind shifts.

After reading the manual (finally came in the mail), the entire topic of CO has me a bit concerned. I am glad the boat has CO monitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:36 am 
Mental Floss

Plenty of people anchor out with a genny running. As long as you are able to swing you should be fine. If by chance CO does get in, the monitors will wake you up.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am 
ShanMan

They always say, the first night is the worst, right?

We spent a good portion of the day on the water, anchored and cooked dinner. The windlass was great and the cooktop heated quickly. After dinner we thought we'd check out a different place to stay the night as we were getting a lot of wave action from the main channel.

Across the lake we went, it was dusk by now. We found the perfect cove, only one other boat there and away from the main channel. As we put our little ones down we discovered the vacu-flush head no longer worked. I contacted the tech at my dealer (he gave me his personal cell) on a Saturday night at 7:30pm. I was reluctant to do so, but he was very apologetic, however we could come up with nothing.

The tanks show half full, there is no way the holding tank is full. Water comes in the head but doesn't go out. There is no vacuum. The pump sounds like it's running, but it was hard to discern from the fresh water pump.

So, I wound up diluting and scooping out the water, then pouring it down the shower drain. The head has never been used for solid waste and we are using the TP that came with the package, the single ply stuff. There seems to be no reason it's not working. I checked fuses too.

So, we motored back to the marina in the dark, no too daunting considering I'm not all familiar with this boat. We pulled in and hooked up shore power and spent the night. Then, at some point during the night the smell of gas became very prevalent. I hit the blower just in case.

The refrigerator humms and vibrates like nothing else when it's on. You can feel the vibration in the whole boat. This can't be normal?

So, here we are with a little over 2 hours on the boat, a busted head, the smell of gas in the cabin and (potentially) the need for a new fridge.

On a side note, we ran the generator while we were cooking dinner and where we thought we'd be sleeping. It seemed very loud to me, but since I have nothing to compare it to, I don't know if it's normal.

Despite all of that, getting very little sleep etc. we actually walked away from it as a fun experience. We know these things will be worked out, but it would be nice when you spend this kind of $$, this stuff worked right.

Oh well, we'll try again next weekend. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:26 am 

I would not use the boat until the dealer finds what's causing the gas smell, that is potentially dangerous for sure. It does not take much of a leak, just a loose hose to cause a noticable gas smell. I noticed this when having major reconstruction done on my old 88 Horizon,. the gas tank had been removed to replace the stringers and the shop did not connect the vent hose well enough. After tightening the clamp the smell was gone. Possible causes include fill/vent hoses and the sending unit for the gas gauge. The other stuff is minor, I'm sure they will take care of all of it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:12 pm 
Minnow

My thought: An Anchor light is of course a must but while on the hook I get nervous. My favorite cove is also frequently traveled by fisherman. Some are returning up the river as late as 3am and who knows what they have been doing. I always believe you can't be seen well enough. I always light the boat up with at least 5-6 Chem lights for added safety. You can get them online for less then a dollar a piece which is well worth it for a good night sleep. This year I found some nice 10in ones that should really do the job. I also like using less battery power. Just a thought. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:53 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Shan,

The Norcold fridge does vibrate a LOT.... The only reason I can think that it vibrates is due to it being an AC/DC fridge, there is probably a flywheel weight on the motor to keep it spinning when on DC and to help ease the start up surge. Couple that with the fact that condensor units do vibrate normally and are rubber mounted, I can see where the vibrational noise comes from. That doesn't bother me much.

My Honda EU200i generator on the Eco-Throttle setting, on the swim platform isn't bad at all. It barely runs hard to run the AC unit so you don't hear much in the cabin. I tried it on the deck but you can hear it in the cabin a LOT... Unless I can come up with some better mounting solution on the deck, then it will remain in use on the swim platform.

The head will probably be a simple fix.. It could be a bad part from the manufacturer and I am sure the Dealer will get you fixed up in no time. Boats are horribly complex, so some initial teething pains are not uncommon. Trust me after owning a boat from another brand... I can say Four Winns is a TOP NOTCH boat through and through.. Every nook and cranny I dig into, I am continually impressed with how even in the "hidden areas" FW still does it right..

My head doesn't seem to be working right on my 06 248 either. Mine is just the porcelin Jabsco pump head with raw water intake and overboard discharge with mascerator and holding tank. When I put water in the bowl (from the sink) it drains out... I tried pumping water into the bown (yes the raw water seacock for the toilet is open) and I get nadda... I think I must have a bad seal in the pump. I will take it apart plus check the raw water line for blockages and will email Jabsco to see if they will warrant the seal kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 am 

ShanMan14

Did you solve the problrm with the vacuflush or did I miss it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am 
AGE < LOA

Brett, you picked up the genny, did you use the place I told you about? If so how were they? Not to go OT, but I believe these eco genny's are the way to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:02 pm 
ShanMan

teker wrote:
ShanMan14

Did you solve the problrm with the vacuflush or did I miss it?

I am told it's fixed. I was told there is a valve adjustment for vacuum pressure. It was adjusted and it started working again. I will be there tomorrow to see if that's the case.

Post subject: first night out
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:15 pm 
Starfish

I can still remember my first night on the hook. We were in a Hunter 26 sailboat and we went to sleep with my wife and I half convinced that we were going to wake up with water splashing on our faces as the boat sank. Needless to say, we are now much more comfortable at night after more than a 100 nights on the hook. In fact, we much prefer to spend the night on the hook as the squeak of the fender between the boat and the dock is a real annoyance. Plus, no one ever walks by your boat drunk at 2 am when you are anchored.

Several points to consider. One, arrive at your destination well before dark so that you can take care of all issues in the daylight - worse case, you can go back to the dock in the daylight. Two, be sure your anchor is well set and that you have adequate swing room. This is much easier to assess in the daylight. Three, make sure your anchor is set well set and that you have adequate swing room - again. Four, the anchor light issue is important in 'open waterways' but I believe that you do not need to put out a light in an 'recognized anchorage'. However, I would definitely confirm this issue and not take my word on it.

I hope that you had a great time.