www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jumping in late here
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:29 pm 
Goldfish

MY 298 had the interstate batteries. they looked like maintenance free to me and I never checked the electrolyte level. Showed same symptons as yours. Gas fume detector going off regularly never tipped me off. Finally got CO monitor alarm to go off. Expensive lesson. Bought Lifeline batteries after extensive research. Really maintenance free. They claim they can stay in the boat all winter (I don't though). Very heavy to lift and awkward to take out. After being on the hook for about 24 hours, system battery drops just below 12v.

I leave charger and both frigs going on all the time. Lights, stereo, frequently used. This is my 3rd season with them and no false Fume alarms any more.

Powerboat reports a few months ago rated some other AGM battery higher than Lifeline. Don't recall what brand.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 am 
268 Vista

Vista - Al wrote:
I did not know about two manuals for the 2004 model. Do you suppose they changed the battery design back to 1/2?

But if your switch says "Normal", "Parallel", "Emergency", then it is the same kind as mine.

Lots of different swithches on the 268 apparently.

Mine says.

"On"
"Both"
"Ships Systems"

Curiously, the very bottom (fourth) setting is "Off/Emergency Start"

How can you start a boat with the batteries off ?? :roll:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:23 pm 
Minnow

I got 3 batteries on my 268. All new in spring 03 with the boat. One exide 24 for starting and two Interstate 29's on the Ship Systems. The Ships System batteries have run the fridge a few lights, radio, etc for a weekend away on the hook - and no starting during the day. I can definitely get an afternoon/night on the hook with no appreciable problems.

For three summers +06 we have left the boat plugged in all week while the boat sat at the dock. Shore power on, Charger/fridge on, and I think Ship System circuit breaker on. No problems.

Now, speaking out of the other side my mouth, we started have problems this year with a dead battery. Seems the dealer wired the batteries wrong way back in 03. We have been running the engine on a 29 deep cycle and running the Exide in parallel with a 29 for the ships systems. Duh. The engine battery was found cooked dry this month when it failed to start a few times. I switched around the battery, but I think the ships systems batteries are toast. I charged them last night, unplugged the boat today, but left the ships systems on to see what would happen. The fridge was cold, the lights still worked, but after 9 hours, the batteries were reading 9.5 volts.

I think I have to replace them. If I do, I will go with the AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) - they are and upgrade from gel cell and pretty idiot proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

When you'all leave the charger on, what position is the battery switch? My 238 has a battery 1, battery 2, both, and off. I've been leaving the charger on and the battery switch turned off. Is that right? My number 1 battery went dead after one season and i'm wondering if I need to keep the battery switch on. Both are new batteries from last year.

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL