www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a dinghy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Looking for some advice on purchasing a dinghy and motor for exploring. Of course, I am looking for the best cost versus quality options. I was thinking a 9 ft would be good but wondering if anyone thinks that is too small or large based on my 278? Does anyone use a trolling motor or is that a useless idea? Not sure how I will store it on board yet or if I will want to invest in mounting hardware for the swim platform.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Post subject: Re: Looking for a dinghy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 pm 

You'll have lots of choices in a 9 foot inflatable. First question would be how many people would you typically plan to have in your inflatable and do you want your inflatable to plane? We had a 8' 6" Mercury wooden floor inflatable that we used our Honda 2 hp 4 stroke outboard on and we also used our 9.9 Johnson outboard on. The 2 hp was light, had an internal gas tank very easy on/off inflatable and would easily get my wife, son and I up the St. Clair River that has a pretty fast current. It is a great motor to explore but it would not obviously plane. Now the 9.9 hp would easily plane with the three of us, but it is more of a hassle taking on/off and requires carrying an external gas tank.

Inflatable can be PVC or Hypalon, and you need to decide between a wooden slot floor, solid wooden or fibreglass floor, air floor or rigid hull floor.

Assuming you will carry your inflatable on your swim platform, you probably don't want your inflatable to be much longer in length than your boat is in beam, but if you are comfortable with your inflatable sticking out past your rub rail than I guess you could go a little larger than 9 foot.

We sold our Mercury 270 inflatable and upgraded to a Mercury 310 with a Mercury 15hp outboard. I really enjoy exploring in the inflatable.

Have fun shopping.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 am 

I also have a mercury 310. its 9'6" and can legally take 4 people and 15hp motor and weighs about 80lbs. So I am able to take it off the truck myself and carry it around okay. Its clumsy inflated but doable.

I have an old 9.9 johnson with a 4 blade prop and it takes off with just me. 20 mph by gps and i am a large guy. We plane with 2 adults and 2 kids. I love it. I go all over with it, miles and miles away from the marina. I just have to slow down for the giant boats or any boat wake and if there is any chop its bumpy as anything.. I am thinking about installing some kind of seat for long hauls to my fishing spot since sitting on the floor is rough after an hour or so and sitting on the tube is precarious in any waves on such a small boat.

I also have a trolling motor which I use when I go fishing and I take it to fight the high current of the CT river. I love using it. Its slow, maybe 4-5 mph tops but its super quiet and peaceful. It is easier than trying to mount the gas engine. it is also a lot cleaner to keep on our V258 than the gas tank and any leaky oil motor. I throw the battery in the trunk and the trolling motor sits under the lounge seat in the back on the big boat.

On long fishing trips I take both motors for trolling and for a backup. I can mount both of them on the transom. The gas motor is in the middle and the trolling motor is on one side and set it deeper so it doesn't hit the tube.

I will be mounting a davit system this year, I hope. the last couple years we either tow it or inflate/deflate on the bow.
I have more fun in this little boat than the big boat, its my toy and tender at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 am 

I picked up the West Marine 9' wood floor PVC boat last summer. They had it discounted as one of their "Fantastic Friday" deals and I couldn't pass up the price. Only played with it a couple times last summer without a motor but so far we love it. I found I can pull it up sideways on my swim platform and tie it off to the rear cleats. It rides just fine like that while on plane. I'll untie it and tow it up close in and out of the marina so that the swim platform can be used when docking.
I plan to get a 2.5hp motor for it this year. I don't really care if it planes as we only use it to go to shore or the beer store while anchored.

Last edited by JeffLW on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 am 

I purchased a Mercury 280 dynamic inflatable at the start of last season. It a the fibreglass floor. It is rated for 4 people and a max of 8ho. I am able to get it on plane with my wife and 2 kids in it.

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:31 am 

babbot1 wrote:
I also have a mercury 310. its 9'6" and can legally take 4 people and 15hp motor and weighs about 80lbs. So I am able to take it off the truck myself and carry it around okay. Its clumsy inflated but doable.

I have an old 9.9 johnson with a 4 blade prop and it takes off with just me. 20 mph by gps and i am a large guy. We plane with 2 adults and 2 kids. I love it. I go all over with it, miles and miles away from the marina. I just have to slow down for the giant boats or any boat wake and if there is any chop its bumpy as anything.. I am thinking about installing some kind of seat for long hauls to my fishing spot since sitting on the floor is rough after an hour or so and sitting on the tube is precarious in any waves on such a small boat.

I also have a trolling motor which I use when I go fishing and I take it to fight the high current of the CT river. I love using it. Its slow, maybe 4-5 mph tops but its super quiet and peaceful. It is easier than trying to mount the gas engine. it is also a lot cleaner to keep on our V258 than the gas tank and any leaky oil motor. I throw the battery in the trunk and the trolling motor sits under the lounge seat in the back on the big boat.

On long fishing trips I take both motors for trolling and for a backup. I can mount both of them on the transom. The gas motor is in the middle and the trolling motor is on one side and set it deeper so it doesn't hit the tube.

I will be mounting a davit system this year, I hope. the last couple years we either tow it or inflate/deflate on the bow.
I have more fun in this little boat than the big boat, its my toy and tender at the same time.

What trolling motor do you use? I dont mind not getting on plane. The idea is for us to be able to get to land and do a little exploring while out on the hook. I have seen them for around $200 and thought that it would be nice to have something quiet and reliable too. Might need to go with both gas and trolling.....

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 am 

Aqua Marina Deluxe Inflatable Sport Boat Size: 11' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EMIY7WI/re ... 7ub1TP1X4B.

What do you think about this one? It is a little larger than I was thinking but it would carry my wife, me, and our three girls. Need some pricing checks from you guys. Also it has an aluminum floor. I would be happy to see any suggestions in mounting hardware for it as well.

Thanks everyone!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Last edited by hutch9900 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am 

There is also this one. A little smaller with similar ratings. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 40&alt=web

Any thoughts?

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 am 

Check out the Baltik boats as well. I've seen them priced as low as $650 on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-8-5-BALTIK-IN ... 2eb15dd752
A few on this forum have them. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these before the WM boats went on sale. I like the fact that if something on mine breaks the parts are easy to get from any WM store.

Just remember you get what you pay for. :) Some of the cheaper boats are just that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:40 pm 

hutch9900 wrote:
What trolling motor do you use? I dont mind not getting on plane. The idea is for us to be able to get to land and do a little exploring while out on the hook. I have seen them for around $200 and thought that it would be nice to have something quiet and reliable too. Might need to go with both gas and trolling.....

I believe the model I have a Minn Kota Endura Max 55lbs. I wanted the digital throttle which is supposed to have a lot better battery consumption.
I first got the trolling motor then I bought a used 9.9 and fixed it up. I also bought a nice battery box and the Minn Kota plug. I rigged the receptacle on the battery box with a fuse inside. It is very easy to plug in and go. The trolling motor also has a battery level indicator but if you get a good battery it will last for hours even at close to full throttle. The boat is so light I mostly run it at 50% unless I am in a hurry to get out of the way or something.

About which boat to buy, you get what you pay for in these things. The cheap ones seem to be okay but they won't last as long. I had a West Marine brand 12.5' dinghy before the Mercury and hands down the Mercury is better quality. Also, keep an eye on the weight of the boat. They vary quite a bit and if you hauling it up and down it needs to be manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:33 pm 

JeffLW wrote:
Check out the Baltik boats as well. I've seen them priced as low as $650 on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-8-5-BALTIK-IN ... 2eb15dd752
A few on this forum have them. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these before the WM boats went on sale. I like the fact that if something on mine breaks the parts are easy to get from any WM store.

Just remember you get what you pay for. :) Some of the cheaper boats are just that.

I have used my Baltic for 4yrs now with out a problem. I would not use a trolling motor! First off, you need to carry a 50lb battery. Next, they have very limited power. One horse if your lucky!! If the wind and the current kick up, you will have a hard time fighting it. Plus, now it will take you longer to get back and the battery will start to fail.

I would rather carry a 35lb 3.5hp or a 60lb 6hp outboard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:13 pm 

I wouldn't worry to much about running out of juice. A good battery lasts for hours. Fishing guys use them all day long on larger boats. A lady at our marina uses an electric motor for a tender and only charges it once all year. Granted its not a far trip maybe a couple hundred yards one way but she does fight a current that I have personally seen greater than 4mph.
Electric motors have their place. A traditional trolling motor and not a torqeedo can't compete with a gas motor but they are silent and less cost of a gas engine. I wouldn't trade my 9.9 or my trolling motor both used for different things. Plus a 60lb battery is much easier to drop in a boat than mounting a 60lb motor on the transom. No matter what way you go ALWAYS tether your motor to the main vessel when transferring or mounting in the water.
btw I am not biased to electric just an alternative. If you can get a good deal on a small gas outboard go for it but they aint cheap. If you buy used change the impeller as soon as you get it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 am 

Any thoughts on Zodiac? Used, but everything I read online says they get good ratings.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/4907467528.html.
This one is older and comes with a motor and other crap.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:46 am 

I wouldn't buy an inflatable that old. It doesn't say what type of fabric it is or if it is glued or welded. Glue has a limited life so you will probably find more and more busted seams as you use it.
This is where I bought my boat. I don't live far so I picked it up. They have an 8'6" zodiac for $600 on the list, its a 2012 but all these are new boats.
complete list
http://www.defender.com/inflatables-price-list.jsp
Zodiac on sale:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794282|1794295&id=2061178

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am 
All Night Long

That zodiac for 600 is a great deal. Wood floor is just fine! Great size for a pocket cruiser! Wouldn't want to go bigger with the beam of the boat. 17" tubes are a good size as well for stability.