www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm 
Tadpole

Hello!
I am looking to become a first time boat owner and am considering a Four Winns H240 Horizon. I've been looking for a deep-hulled bowrider to use on a large lake in northern California. I've been told that 24' should be big enough to handle the chop that can come up on Lake Tahoe but not too big for a first-time owner to handle. I've been looking at some Cobalt boats that seem to be extremely popular in these parts, but a friend told me to consider Four Winns as it's supposed to be a very good boat company offering a good bang for the buck.

I've come across a guy selling a 2008 H240 that seems to be in near new condition with only 79 hours on the clock. As I'm not that familiar with all of the ins and outs of this particular boat, I thought I'd see there were some people on this forum who might be willing to lend their expertise. I'm looking for general impressions of Four Winns as well as any thoughts on this particular boat and year. The boat comes with the Mercury 6.2 liter engine - I don't know much about this engine. I was told that back in 2008 they didn't require any type of smog device (catalytic converter?) and for that reason it's a better engine to have than let's say a 2010. Don't know if that's total b.s. or not.

I'm also wondering if the H240 is a 24' boat that's measurement includes what looks to be a built-in swim platform. If so, does that make it more like a 22' boat from another manufacturer? Some manufacturers seem to measure their boats without the swim platform, but is this not the case with Four Winns?

I'm hoping to use this boat for day cruising and water sports. I've got two kids ages 10 and 12 and my wife and I like to entertain so there will be plenty of times when at least eight people will be on board. I think the H240 would be suitable for my needs, but being a total new-be I want to make sure.

Is there anything in particular I should be asking the seller about this boat or looking for any problems that might be known for this boat and year? This boat comes with a "captain's call exhaust" -- is that a good thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide. My plan is to have a mechanical survey performed on the boat as well as a compression test of the engine.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:20 pm 
Tadpole

Great boat and engine without all the California emissions. Get a deposit on it before it's gone then pending your evaluations buy it.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm 
french 829

I have the 2005 version of this boat (called the H230 at the time). The measurement does include the swim platform--which is about 2 feet. I think most boat manufacturers include the swim platform in there measurements these days. That seems like a great power package for that boat and the hours are low.

We love the boat (our second). I think you get a lot for your money with Four Winns. Fit and finish on a Cobalt is probably even nicer--but you pay for it. I have the Captain's Call--which I could take or leave. To me--when you turn it on--it just makes the boat louder--with little to no performance difference IMO. I rarely ever turn it on. I wouldn't shy away from a boat with it--I just wouldn't seek it out as a must have for me personally. The storage space on the boat is extremely good. Many of our boating friends are jealous at all the storage space and the amount of toys and gear we can carry with us with no compromise on comfort. The extra long swim ladder is awesome too for getting in and out of the water--especially for kids or older adults that we have had on the boat. Other extras that we have that we enjoy a lot are the extra large bimini, camper canvas, bow fill-in cushion, table.

We boat on a very large lake in TN and the boat handles well. I have the Volvo engine 280-300 HP and we tube, ski, wake board with no problem. If I had to do it again, I would be tempted to go with the H260 with the Volvo 8.1 power. Overall--not a big difference though and after 6-7 years, I still love this boat too much to trade it and upgrade. Good luck with your search. I think you would be happy with this choice. Definitely a nice first boat!

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

If the boat is pre-cat converter exhaust that would be worth a lot to me. Cat converter exhaust ultimately will close to triple the cost of replacing exhaust manifolds, if you keep it long enough to need to do that. Other than the normal I/O power package concerns (engine temp, overheating, engine alignment, shift quality, tilt/trim and steering operation, any leaks, etc), there is nothing out of the ordinary to be concerned about. Keep in mind that Volvo parts are expensive and not as available as Merc parts, but many prefer the cone clutch shifting in a Volvo vs the Merc Alpha (dog clutch like an outboard). Make sure it runs at the correct temp (160-175), that the oil pressure readings are normal (40-60 at speed, at least 20 at idle) and if you can take an IR temp gun with you and take readings of the risers and manifolds after running on plane. Should be less than 150*F. Pay attn to shift quality, it should be very smooth and there should not be whining from the drive as you accelerate. With the engine idling, climb into the engine compartment and listen, you should not hear any rumbling, howling, etc that suggests a bad gimble bearing due to a leaky driveshaft bellows. Also with the engine idling, trim up (not all the way like half way up) and turn left and right, listen for any increase in noise from the rear (u joints going bad).Take a good look at the engine compartment, look for oil leaks, and rust stains at the joint between the risers and manifolds. This would mean that its time to replace riser gaskets at least and if this is ignored, it can put water in a cyl via an open exhaust valve when the engine is shut off. Its a common problem on I/Os and Volvo particularly because they never changed their riser design as Merc did. Merc went to what's called the dry joint system which separated the exhaust gas and water cooling ports. A much better design, for the pre-catalyst system. I have not seen the cat systems taken apart yet only on display engines at the boat shows.

If you have a mechanic check it out, make sure they pull the outdrive drain plug and see if water comes out first (bad seals) and if there are excessive wear particles on the magnet (gear and bearing wear...$$$).

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm 
230 Mike

An '08 240 would be in the peak years of FW's production IMO. Great design, pre-cat engine, great overall family boat. I'd say it's at the upper limit for a 1st time boater in terms of size, weight (if towing), maintenance, etc. If it's been maintained well, I'd jump all over it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 pm 

All great feedback. I just picked up an '08 H240 myself, having owned 4 boats prior to this one. I've only had it out once, but have owned enough boats to know this is a very well thought out design and layout. Time will tell how long I keep it.

I've got the Captains Call exhaust as well and it was not on my must have list. It's a nice feature which I'm sure will help with resale one day.

Good call on the survey/compression test - but be sure to sea-trial the boat and ensure it performs well.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 am 

When did you sell your 318? And to move back to a bowrider?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:52 am 

blue dragon wrote:
When did you sell your 318? And to move back to a bowrider?

Earlier this year. Wasn't too sure on selling, but when I listed in February and got my asking price in a week - I sold. Back in a bowrider - different for sure. I haven't owned a bowrider in 8 years, change is good though, right! Should be a fun summer - need to get my little ones to fall in love with the water like I did when I was young. A 318 isn't the vessel to do that in, they need to ski/tube!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:10 pm 
Tadpole

I just bought a 2011 H240 with 73 hours on it in April this year. Like you, I was also considering Cobalt, but just couldn't swallow the price compared to what else was out there. I owned a Crownline before this, which I was always happy with the quality of that boat. This Four Wins is every bit as good as that was, I have no complaints at all. We had a few bugs to work out initially with the engine, but mostly due in part to the boat sitting for a year and a half with no use. Everything has been working well since then. You are right about the size, a lot of the length is eaten up with the swim platform and sun deck, but that's every boat these days. I love the fact that the swim platform is all the way out past the outdrive, even with the Bravo III. Takes a lot of worry out of play with the kiddos jumping off the back.

Good luck with your decision. Its a great boat, you won't be disappointed!