www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just ran across this one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/with-90-hp-Johnson-trailer-no-reserve-fish-package_W0QQitemZ120465200550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPower_Motorboats?hash=item1c0c4915a6&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
I think that's pretty close to what your are looking for and close in distance as well. You might be able to work out a side deal with the seller to bypass the ebay fees for him and get a better deal for you.

Edit: After checking the pics a bit closer, that looks to be the same seller that ultprthead pointed out earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:36 pm 

Thanks.

You are correct it is the same boat.

I had contacted him previously and made him a low ball offer based on the fact that the condition of the boat is well below average. The boat has some pretty bad dock rash. He counter offered for a reasonable amount and I decided I just didn't want to deal with a boat in sub par condition. Too bad b/c it is pretty much what I am looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:03 pm 

RotaryRacer wrote:
The boat has some pretty bad dock rash.

You can get the gel coat repaired for probably 1k or so and have it looking as good as new. If you can factor that into your budget, then it might be worth a second look.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:32 pm 
All Night Long

Not sure if this guy is still looking, but I wandered across this MINT '93.

This boat looks fantastic... and the price isn't bad. Heck, I've thought about picking this thing up as a toy.

http://gigharbormotorco.com/93FourWinns.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:50 am 
268 Vista

Well, this one does not meet all your criteria, but price is right, if it is really as nice as the seller says. Quite a bunch of fun for $3K. Wisconsin would only be about 6 hour trip from Dorr, and less if you take the Lake Express from Muskegon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Fou ... 06.c0.m245

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:07 pm 

Thanks guys for continuing to post things that you see.

The 93 does look pretty nice. I have looked a couple of those. If I could find a really nice one close to home for a good price I would probably buy it.

The little 150 Freedom looks pretty nice also. I have seen that one now a few times, posted in a few places. This spring I would have probably been more interested. I was looking hard for a good example of one of those boats. There is another one ebay now also that is really close to my house. I will probably go take a look at it Saturday for the fun of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm 

I put a deposit down on a boat today.

It is one of the ones I had been looking at for a long time. I finally talked the seller down to a reasonable price considering the condition of the boat.

It is a 2000 180 Horizon with a 175 HP Evinrude. I will be picking it up on Thursday if everything goes well.

The boat will need a very good cleaning and a few little things fixed up. The thing that bothers me the most are the gel coat gouges. I hope I am able to get those repaired and looking good. Other than that the front light will need to be replaced and the whole boat will need a good buff and wax.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

Well the deal fell through.

The seller has a loan on the boat and there was an ex-wife involved. He just didn't have the time to go through the effort of selling the boat. Which would require calling the bank and making arrangment to get the lien removed from the title. To add to that he told me at the 11th hour that there were some issues with the motor. It is a FICHT motor and the last time it was used it wasn't ideling properly and wasn't reaching it's typical top speed. I was willing to spend a few hours diagnosing and hopefully fixing the boat before we closed the deal. I figure it needs new spark plugs and confirmation that the spark plugs are indexed properly.

He just couldn't commit to taking the time to make the deal go smoothly. I made one last low ball offer that would have gotten him out of the loan and I would have pulled the boat home without even starting it first to save him a few hours. He didn't bite.

I got my deposit back, but I am still disappointed. I really had planned to buy the boat.

Needless to say I am still looking for a good boat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 pm 

Hang in there RR...better to keep looking and find the right boat that pick up someone else's problems. One way to look at it now is that the season is basically over, so you don't have to store the boat over the winter. I'll keep my eye posted as I'm sure others are still keeping an eye out for you too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:13 pm 

Thanks.

I hear you on not getting someone elses problems.

I had really hoped to get a boat this fall. One of the reasons I want an outboard is that I want to be able to take advantage of the nice weekends without the need to drain the block after each outing for fear of freezing.

I've pretty much decided that I want an 18 footer with at least 150hp.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 am 
268 Vista

Was it this one in Washington ?

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/1377905925.html

If so, that is a long haul to get to Grand Rapids. Another one will show up, keep looking.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:16 am 

I too have thought about finding a FW outboard for a couple of reasons...mainly because I am in a salt water area and have a moored boat...but if you are in freshwater and keep it on a trailer...I might consider another I/O and if you can add closed cooling to it...that would make winterizing easier because you'd only have to drain the heat exchanger and manifolds (unless a full system then only the H/E)...finding an FW outboard is going to be very difficult....you'd have a much easier time finding a Dual Console fishing type boat similar to a bowrider but made for salt water...pretty much all the salt water makers sell them with a choice of outboards.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am 

The boat I was going to buy is in Wisconsin. I haven't seen it reposted anywhere yet. The owner indicated that they will either just keep it until the spring, sell it to someone local or sell it to a family member. They were willing to sell it to me at a lower price since I was so eager and had cash in hand. As soon as requested that they need to confirm the loan payoff and title transfer was going to go smoothly they offered to refund my deposit.

One of things I liked about it was that it wasn't a fish and ski model. I have no intention of fishing and having the extra pedestal seats and a trolling motor don't really appeal to me.

Regarding dual console salt water boats...if I could find one in decent shape for a decent price I would probably be interested. So far the only ones I have found were either beat up really bad or way too expensive for what I can afford.

Back this spring it seemed like there were about 4 boats I could have bought at a price that seemed reasonable that were exactly what I was looking for. I didn't have the cash then and now that I do nothing is working out. I guess maybe it just wasn't meant to be this year.

There are other boats out there right now. Another one in Wisconsin is priced higher now than it was in the spring. The owner is trading it in next spring I guess and the dealer is giving him more than NADA average retail. Good for him I say. The ones over in PA at the "Boat Shop" are pretty beat up according to the pictures and communication I have had with them. The rest that I have seen are listed at about $4k higher than I can afford right now.

Thanks again everyone for letting me know of the boats you see out there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:08 am 
Nauti Luv

I have no iron in this fire, but I came across this today...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1443491344.html

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am 

I'll take a look at the link for the boat in Dallas when I get home....no craigslist at work.

However, I have now bought a boat. It isn't exactly what I was looking for but it will serve me well for a couple of years and it was cheaper than the Four Winns that I had been looking at.

It is a 1991 Larson 190 All American with a 150 Evinrude. Overall it is is nice shape for the year. It isn't perfect and I kinda feel like I compromised...but for the price I figure I can use it and enjoy and then maybe move on to something else down the road.

I am still keeping my eye open for a Four Winns and if the "right" boat shows up I will have a hard time passing it up.

Thanks again everyone. I'll still check back here now and again. I plan to get my old Four Winns finished and figure out what to do with that in the spring.