www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VistA 268
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:27 pm 
Sting Ray

The admiral is pressuring me more and more to upgrade. And to do that, we need to sell the Vista. We'll decide for sure within the next week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Vista Al, with all due respect - if you sell your boat it is going to sell like wildfire :) 8)

I envy your work on the 268! I saw the webpage you made on it and have been telling all of my friends with Vista's.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm 

sell it!!!! then you get to customize all over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:10 am 
Mental Floss

Al, what are your thinking of upgrading too?

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:23 am 

how bout the Vista 378....
while you are on it, be sure to ask "i wonder what the poor-folk are doin"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:29 pm 
268 Vista

His upgrade "may" lead him away from this site. I know he has a liking for the 328 Vista, as do I.

My 268 is currently for sale. Has been for a couple months, not even one inquiry. No problem, if it sold now, we would be boatless for the rest
of the season, that would be hard to take.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:28 pm 
Sting Ray

Where do I start...... I am afraid its all over the map.

Here is basically my short list:

Vista 328
Carver 320 or 325
Carver 3607
Silverton 34 Sedan Classic
Mystery boat!

Of the candidates, the Vista 328 has the best fuel mileage because its the only one of the bunch with I/Os. Well, sorta the best fuel mileage (see Carver 3607 trawler mode). And that has to be a consideration for any boat we buy. We have been thinking about this for a couple of years now, and when we started, I fully expected marina gas to be at $5 per gallon when we upgrade, but in retrospect, maybe we're estimating low. Regardless, we have to take fuel prices into consideration. It isn't going to prevent us from buying a boat, but it will influence what we do buy.

Except for a sailboat. The admiral has told me in no uncertain terms that a sailboat is NOT in our future. Well, more accurately; not in HER future.

The Vista 328 with I/Os should get about 1.2MPG, which when compared to the 2MPG or so I get with the 268, its within being acceptable. So the Vista will be the "fuel mileage" candidate if we have to go that route.

The Carver 325 is about .9MPG, the Silverton a bit less, and the Carver 3607 - well, it depends on how fast you push it. The 3607 is a unique boat, and has a dual-mode hull, designed to run as a trawler or at planing speeds. The main difference; trawler speed is about 9mph @ 2MPG, while planing speed is about 20MPH at 0.5MPG (or less).

This will be a retirement boat for us, so it will be as much a cabin as a boat, and when retired, since I don't have to be anywhere at a given time, I won't care how fast we go. I like the idea of 2MPG at trawler speed, but we can "goose" it if we need to get out of bad weather. This is really no different than a "fast trawler", and in fact, for a couple of years, Carver made a "long range" version of the boat with a single diesel engine (have not seen any of those on the used market though).

Besides, we can strap a jet-ski to the transom so I can still get my speed-kicks.

And the 3607 has a great deal of room in it, just what we want for a floating cottage. The only issue is that the 3607 was made from 1982 to 1989, so the last one was made 17 years ago. Therefore, there will be a lot of upgrades needed to update all of the equipment, but hey, that means more boat projects!

We had also been leaning towards a true trawler, but those are +100K, which is above our price we want to pay. So a 3607 might be the next best thing to a trawler, and the going price for those is in the $40K to $70K range - give or take.

To be honest, we are kind of getting tired to the cave-like layout of express cruisers, and we are also tired of taking the canvas up and down each day.

The Mystery Boat means that there are probably other boats out there that we have not yet considered. I also like the Silverton 330 Sport Bridge, as well as the Carver Mariner 35, but the wife thinks those are really big boats with too little room in them. But they are around $120K for used ones at this time - who knows what they will be in 3 years.

So, the wife wants something that has windows and we don't have to remove the canvas all the time. The problem is, FW doesn't make a motor-yacht or sedan-type of boat. I have grown quite fond of my FW, and this is the second one I have owned. The company is top-notch, have always been very helpful, and they seem to really want to take care of buyers of used boats, even though they don't get anything out of it.

Well, they get good will, and I suppose that is worth something.

So we really don't know right yet what we will do. We retire in 3 years, at which time, we will have access to a lot of money that is in our 401K (we have a 401K set-aside for toys).

So a lot depends on gas prices, what we get for our boat, when we sell our boat, the stock market over the next three years, and a whole host of other variables.

I might also be in a situation at work where they might close down next year. If they do so, I have 32 years in, so I would get an early retirement. Great for upgrading the boat, but I would take a slight penalty for retiring before age 55 (which I will be in 3 years), so that is another variable thrown in to the mix.

We are thinking of something in the $60~70K range. We have about $100K in our toy money 401K to play with right now, but I don't want to spend all of the toy money on a boat - want to keep some in reserve. We are beginning to see Vista 328s approach the $80K range right now, so in two or three years, they would be right on target with our price.

The 328 is the only FW we would be interested in. If we go with a 348 or 378, we're looking at lower fuel-mileage inboards, so for that reason, the wife keeps pointing me towards motor-yachts such as the Carvers I mentioned.

So regardless of all of this, we're thinking of whether or not we should broker our boat. Right now, its 7 years old, so maybe we should begin the process.

If I got low to mid $40s for it, I would be happy and probably sell it right away.

I have not added up the cost of all of the improvements, but I think that I probably put $10K worth of improvements into it. Now I am not naive enough to think I'll get all that back, and I made the improvements for my own personalization, not to increase the resale value.

However, I would hope that some of the more substantial things, such as Air Conditioning, Windlass, and the entertainment system might increase the value, while the other items, while not necessarily increasing the value, should make the boat sell quickly.

So the only things I know for sure are:

- I'll retire in 1 to 3 years, depending on if they close the facility before I reach age 55. So even if I lose my job next year, I am in the retirement window.

- We will be definitely buying a boat at retirement, unless some unknown factor, such as health prevents it.

- The boat will likely be in the $60~$70 range, and somewhere between 32 and 36 ft.

Otherwise, I don't even know myself what we will end up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:02 pm 

holy ****, that should count for 20 posts...Sounds fun...

Dont forget, you can always make money using the boat like Boat Training classes, Boater Education, evening cruises, even daily rentals while you get to skipper the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 pm 
Sting Ray

I do tend to be long winded sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:46 pm 
Clownfish

Al, Isn't life fun with all the decisions people have to make? Whatever you and the admiral decide I'am sure you guys will get a good boat for you to enjoy on Lake Michigan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 am 
Sting Ray

Well, no decision yet to sell.

There has been increased 'something is going to happen' activity at work, and we have been hearing announcements that suggests an impending significant change. I know some of you have gone through this before, and heck, this is maybe the third time for me too (at least reorganization), and life does go on. But the first time I can 'bail out' if I wish since I now can qualify for an early retirement.

Either I will be working more, at least in the near term, or on the other side, possibly losing my job.

As I said previously, if I lose my job, since I have 32 years in the place already, I will qualify to retire on an early retirement, but on a reduced annuity. If I can hold out for 3 years, until I am age 55, there will be no reduction.

But if the retirement is immediate, how much of a reduced annuity won't be known for awhile, so while a larger boat is still a given, there are just too many unknowns right now to make any kind of decision, other than the decision to wait until probably next season to sell our boat (unless of course, we got a 'killer' offer).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hope it all works out for you Al.

I went through the rumor thing at work last fall. Eventually we ended up being sold, which worked out great seeing that we had an ESOP and I ended up putting a nice contributuion in an IRA. And nobody lost their job in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:24 am 
Seahorse

It happened to me last fall. Cut to 24 hours per week, which was not enough to live on, so a job hunt also resulted in a move and change in wifes job. Because I left the company rather than work part time, there was no seperation package either. Not fun at age 57. Plus had to find another job at that age. Luckily I was able to do so within a couple of months. Now starting over with no sick time, no vacation time for the first year, not eligible for 401k until next year, etc. Good Luck Al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:25 pm 
Sting Ray

Hey Gary, nice to hear from you again.

The fortunate thing for me is that the worst case scenario is that I might get to retire this year rather than my indended 2009 retirement date, albeit with a slightly lower annuity.

But things as they will be, we decided to wait to see what is going to happen, because it will influence the next boat we buy.

Yes, a next boat is a given, but what and when is the undecided point.

Its nice to have that comfort that my most 'painful' decision is what boat I'll be able to afford, so I guess things are not so bad.

I feel for those of you that have lost ground in this kind of situation, but I guess it usually tends to work out for the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:11 pm 
268 Vista

Anything new to report Vista Al ?? :wink:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy