www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

I didn't even use this entirely for one season. I used it from July to October of last year a handful of times towing my 268. I upgraded to a 2500 truck, and no longer need it.

It is all set up and ready to bolt on any boat trailer. It will work with surge brakes. I have a 2 5/16" 10,000lb ball already on it, you can purchase spare parts, or a different ball directly from the manufacturer at http://www.equalizerhitch.com

The manual is here, http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwn ... 200905.pdf

I can tell you setup is very easy, and it works! The brakes on the trailer still work, and it is very good at controlling sway.

I paid over $500 when I bought it on eBay, and shipping charges are $69 for these on eBay now.

I'd prefer not to ship and get it to someone closeby in the midwest, but can ship. I will split shipping costs 50/50, and only charge actual shipping from the UPS store. I'm asking $350 for it. All parts needed to install to a boat trailer are there, it will bolt right up.

Any questions please ask! This is about the best weight distributing hitch. My brother has a Reese setup on his camper, and I like the way this one works much better.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm 

firecadet,
I would recommend you keep that hitch and use it. It is excellent even on a 2500 truck. I had a Ford F-250 diesel and although I could get away with not using it to tow my SL262, it was technically illegal to do so. Most hitches on vehicles are only rated for up to 5,000 lbs UNLESS you are using a weight distributing device like the one you and I have. Look at the rating on the hitch attached to your truck. Mine said 5,000 lbs max, 12,000 lbs max if using a WD hitch. If you ever get in an accident and a good lawyer sees you towing without one, you could be toast. I have also heard rumors that your own insurance will not cover you if you are not properly equipped when towing. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm 

For whatever reason I've read this comment about insurance not covering people for exceeding tow limits etc a lot lately. Not sure where all that b.s. has come from but it is in all probability misinformation. Although every insurance policy is different and I don't claim to have read them all, nor am I commenting on them all, nor am I providing legal advice . . . I have never seen a policy which states that a loss would not be considered a covered loss DUE TO YOUR OWN NEGLIGENCE. Be it, loading a trailer wrong, towing in excess of the limits, driving drunk, running a red light, falling asleep at the wheel etc etc. THAT is why you generally have insurance . . . to cover you for your OWN stupid mistakes. Not those of others. That's what THEIR policy is for. If not, I'm getting into the insurance business.

Yes, you might get cited and you likely can get sued and that (towing in excess of limits) may be grounds for finding you negligent if that's what proximately caused the accident but that's no different than falling asleep. That is why you have insurance. Sure, if you make breaking the law (and getting caught) a habit will you get dropped from your carrier? Maybe. But that again is no different than speeding. Its generally only when you INTENTIONALLY cause the damage, NOT THE ACT THAT LEADS TO THE DAMAGE, where you may be left with no coverage. Such as, intentionally putting your truck in the lake to total it out.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm 

slman wrote:
firecadet,
I would recommend you keep that hitch and use it. It is excellent even on a 2500 truck. I had a Ford F-250 diesel and although I could get away with not using it to tow my SL262, it was technically illegal to do so. Most hitches on vehicles are only rated for up to 5,000 lbs UNLESS you are using a weight distributing device like the one you and I have. Look at the rating on the hitch attached to your truck. Mine said 5,000 lbs max, 12,000 lbs max if using a WD hitch. If you ever get in an accident and a good lawyer sees you towing without one, you could be toast. I have also heard rumors that your own insurance will not cover you if you are not properly equipped when towing. Something to think about.

SLMan,
I tried setting it up on my 2500, it does not work. My truck sags .5" in the rear with the boat on the back. I set it up exactly like the instructions said to, same as I did on my Durango, and the weight distributing bars were not touching where they needed to, to distribute the load.

I checked with a few friends with 268s, and they tow with 3/4 ton trucks. They do not use a WD hitch. I'm willing to bet Cincy didn't use one when he towed his 290 the other day. I know when my boat was hauled up here by a professional boat hauler, who makes his living doing this, USDOT #'s and all, he did not have a WD hitch.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:28 pm 

Both Cincy and Firecadet are probably right about insurance etc etc. I had only heard rumors and by no means am I an expert. My only comment would be for you to look at your hitch rating and get the proper set up for the weight. Just want us all to be safe.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm 

THAT is the important thing here. And your absolutely right in that regard. I was simply pointing out some comments ive seen mostly on other boards that are simply incorrect.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:25 pm 

No problems from me here.

It's sold!

Thanks Mike.